Friday, August 21, 2026

Friday Smiles 2026 # Week 34

 Picture of the week.

Isn't that just beautiful. It is beautiful on several counts but mainly because it is Mum's Peace rose, and because it was such a relief to wake up and find the garden had been blessed with rainfall at last. I love to see the flowers and leaves with raindrops on them. I liked the colours in this one.

I was out earlier than usual for a doctor's appointment this morning so I cut across the park and down an alley that leads out onto the main shopping area. This broadens into a walkway lined with seats for weary shoppers to catch their breath, and big tubs of plants. Right now they are mostly brown and sad, but they had their share of the rain last night, and it is one of life's miracles that within a few weeks they will be turning green again. (I am hoping some of my perennials will also recover).

We had a nice visit from our son Mike last week and this week we met him over on Red Square for a drink and a chat. He posted this amusing photo on Facebook because he has spent the summer holiday working a mobile shop at various music venues around the country. It is hard work and difficult hours, but he manages to enjoy the sun and some of the performances as well. Basic accommodation means his unruly hair becomes even more unruly and as he put it "Nature has claimed me back to the wild for festival season". He is back home now and tomorrow he is taking his family off to Greece for a well-earned holiday so it was nice to have a catch-up before he goes.

Because I wanted something not very taxing to do yesterday evening, I tried out a wind spinner pattern that  liked. It is really quite pretty. I am going to make it again one day in yellow, brown and green, and add a sunflower top and bottom. (That was the original pattern design).

We have something quite exciting to look forward to in the park at the weekend, and this morning preparations were already underway. I will leave you guessing as to what it will be, but I am sure there will be photos next week (weather permitting of course).


4 comments:

Lisca said...

What a beautiful rose, especially with the dew drops (or rain drops) on it.
Great photo of Mike with his unruly hait and sun. kissed face.
Not quite sure what a wind spinner is. Is it supposed to spin around in the wind? Really?
Now I'm very curious as to what is going on in the park this weekend!
Enjoy the weekend,
Lisca

Celtic house said...

Oh your rose is absolutely stunning, I love the colour variation and yes I was most happy to see some rain this week we could do with a fair amount more though, I hate to see the ground so parched. I had to smile at your son's hair definitely letting it revert back to its wild state, I hope he enjoys his well deserved rest on holiday. The crochet is lovely I love the colours. Not sure what the security fencing is for but it definitely looks like a large event so I hope it goes ahead and is much fun.

Hugs

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi kate, no idea what's going on in the park but it looks interesting. Your spinner looks lovely. That is a beautiful rose, gorgeous colours. We,ve had quite a bit of rain over the last few days (well evenings actually) and the water butts are starting to fill up again thank goodness. Nice to see Mike again too. Have a great weekend, hugs Angela xXx

kiwimeskreations said...

Good to hear you had some rain!!
Your Peace rose is exquisite - I too love that variety of rose, especially the earlier cultivars.
Looks like Mike has been "dragged backwards through a gorse bush" as my Dad would say if our hair was a mess!
Your wind spinner is very pretty - I look forward to seeing version 2
Blessings
Maxine