Friday, October 2, 2026

Friday Smiles 2026 # Week 40

I can finally say that I am more or less back to normal, so this week I have  managed a couple of trips into town. In fact last Friday evening I walked the furthest I have been in over a month. Back at the start of the summer I saw an advert about a new choir that was going to start in Oswestry  come the Autumn. It sounded a bit like the one I was a part of in Spain, singing mostly music from the shows and films. It sounded very laid back - no  need to read music, no auditions etc - and the deciding factor for me was that rehearsals would be at the Memorial Hall; just five minutes walk from home. So I signed up for the two free sessions they were offering for anyone who wanted to learn more, and the first of these was last Friday evening. Unfortunately on Thursday I received a message to say that the response had far outdone their expectations so they had moved to a larger premises which are a half hour walk from here. This is not ideal for walking home at 9.00 at night but I decided to go along anyway, so Chris walked with me and came back to walk me home.

The choir tuned out to be great fun and I am definitely going again, and already I have sorted out a lift each way which makes it possible. A young woman called Amy is leading us and she says there were 80 of us at the first meeting. She took this photo of us to go on our Facebook page.


I also went back to church this week as I thought I could get through a service without coughing too much, and as I walked through the park on my way there I saw some big brown clumps on the ground. I wondered whether the strong winds the night before had blown down a squirrel's drey but when i got closer i could see it was fungi. There were three of these, two just emerging from the ground and one at the base of a newly planted young tree. According to google lens they are Meripilus giganteus and there have been several sightings of them this year with people remarking on their huge size.

We have also had some lovely sunny days this week so as I was walking to choir I had to stop to take photos of this glorious sunset.



I mentioned to Chris that I wanted to have some practice at using a touch pad on a lap-top. I have never mastered this, being far more at home on a PC and using a mouse. But he has lent me his Chrome book and I have been using it this week and managing quite well. He has set it up as a Windows remote desktop so it is synced to my computer and I can do everything down here without going up to the top floor - unless I want to use one of my cutters or the printer of course. I do keep trying to use it like a touch screen but  I am getting there.

And  that is it for this week.  It is October now and getting cooler so I am happy to be able to work down here. Hopefuly I will find it easier to visit you all now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog. Your comments are appreciated.