Friday, January 18, 2019

Rocking Your World 2019; Week 3

First of all I am so sorry that I didn't manage to visit everyone last week, and a big Thank you to those who still visited me and left comments. I am trying to post earlier today so I have time to visit others before I go out this afternoon. 

So here is my Smile this week. This is our youngest son Ben, (on the right), all dressed up for his part in the Pantomime at Perton, Wolverhampton, this week. These two are Snatcher and Scarper, the 'annoying tax collectors'. The Harlequin Pantomime Company put on a show each January, and after three shows they are getting great reviews. There is still tonight's performance, plus the matinee tomorrow afternoon and the Grand Finale in the evening. I would love to be there to watch him, and my daughter-in-law who is in the chorus, but it isn't possible so soon after my November visit. I did manage to get there a few years ago, and I was really impressed at the standard of their show.

And now for my week. We had a bitter sweet service at church on Sunday. The music, message and fellowship were wonderful as ever, but we had to bid a very sad 'Good-bye' to special people. Keith is struggling with some health issues so they decided it was time to return to UK, to live near family and friends. Sue is a wonderful pianist and she has played for all our services ever since the church opened four years ago. (She played at our previous church too). They were active members of our house group, attending regularly and often hosting or leading a session. Sue is also the one who has gathered together a small group of us, and trained us to sing  a song or two at special services, such as our Spanish lullaby at the carol service in December. So they will be sorely missed. 
On a more  personal level, they were our friends. Until I had Ben's 'spare' piano out here, Sue lent us hers for my music evenings at home whenever Ben was over, and always played for us as well. As yet we do not have a permanent replacement pianist for the church, but we have one or two who will help out when they can.

On Tuesday, this was the photo in the English papers, and local media network.
It was the opening of the long awaited airport at Corvera. This is quite close to Murcia airport which is now closed to public flights. People who have already booked flights to Murcia, will be automatically transferred to Corvera. It was opened by King Philipe, and the first flight in was  a Ryanair plane from East Midlands, which managed to land a few minutes before the Royal jet landed! For us the journey will be very much the same as before, so we won't notice a huge difference, except there will hopefully be better facilities, as everything is new.
We have always travelled to Murcia airport using the toll road, which opened ten years ago, just as we arrived here. It is expensive, but the road is so straightforward, with hardly any traffic, so it is worth it for us. We can still use it for part of the way to Corvera and we may decide to do so, as this week the toll fee was reduced by 30%, and made free between midnight and 6.00am, so that is all good news for us.
On Tuesday afternoon I went to the local campsite for a Brexit meeting. It was ill-timed as nothing was certain, and a lot rested on the vote later that night, but they didn't know that when the meeting was arranged. I was very surprised at the turnout for it. Luckily it was a sunny afternoon so they were able to use the outside patio.
The main part of the new bar, just inside the glass enclosure was also full, and by the time I arrived it was standing room only.
It was an interesting meeting, opened by our Lady Mayor, with short presentations from the British Consulate, the health department, the tax office, the legal adviser for the voluntary group called Ex-pats in Spain, and their leader. Then they each sat at a table and we were invited to queue up at any, or all, of them to ask questions. They promised they would not leave until everyone's questions had been answered. Obviously they couldn't give us any definitive answers, but they were able to dispel a few worries and kill some rumours, and they gave us information on special web-sites we can sign up to to get updates on everything as they happen. So I was glad I went. Now we just have to wait and see what happens!

We have had some beautiful sunny days this week, and although our usual sitting area in the porch is shady quite early in the afternoon, the back of the house is a sun-trap, so we have been sitting out there most days for a while, and have even eaten our lunch out there one day. As I sat in the corner I noticed a small butterfly on the wall that had just emerged from the cocoon below it. It sat in the sun for a long time, while its wings dried and pumped up. Unfortunately I couldn't stay there long enough to see it open them to fly away. I am sure it is not really the season for new butterflies to be emerging.
Also while we were out there, I leaned over the railings and spotted the first blossom on the old almond trees in the green zone. The trees are very old, and not cared for at all, so they are well passed their best, but they still mange to produce some blossom each year, and occasionally a traveller will come through and collect some nuts.

Although the afternoons are sunny, and quite warm, as soon as the sun sets it is chilly. Our fire has been playing up so some evenings we have been making good use of my crocheted blankets. I am still working on my Havana blanket , but I don't want to show the progress until it is done. But this week I saw a new pattern which I loved, and it intrigued me as it uses a technique I have never tried. I have been crocheting almost since I could walk, so I didn't think there was too much more to learn, but there are some very talented folk around, and wonderful designers. This particular blanket is made using Interlocking filet crochet, where you work with two contrasting colours, doing one row of the main colour, then going back to the start and doing a row of the alternate colour, then turning round and working one row back in each colour, working through one with the other, so the two pieces are interlocked. Depending whether you work through from the front or back, you see one or other colour, so it is possible to form a picture. Sounds complicated doesn't it, and I wasn't sure whether it was for me. But thank goodness for Youtube and clear tutorials. Before starting on her blanket, the designer suggested we work two small test pieces so I decided to have a go. I had to unpick bits a few times, but then it suddenly clicked, and I managed to do the first swatch, so I was quite proud of myself. apparently you are never too old to learn new tricks. 
I shall have a go at the second test piece soon, which I understand is a bit more complicated. Whether or not I go on to make the blanket remains to be seen. I have four projects on the go at the minute so I will not start anything new until some of them are finished, but it is definitely earmarked as a possibility for the next one!
I had an exciting day yesterday, when Chris helped me to finance the order of some new furniture for my craft room. Ever since I had my new computer desk, wall space has been at a premium, and all my card, and many embellishments are stored in a tall filing cabinet which only fits in at a right-angle to the wall, effectively making a dark alcove in the corner so it is hard to see what I want from in the cupboard. Also there is a stack of boxes in front of it that has to be moved whenever I want to open the doors. On the other side I have some purpose built shelves that hold the "Really Useful Boxes", and I find them wonderful. It is so easy to get to anything I want. So the cabinet is to go, and the tall tower of plastic drawers next to my desk, which is old and shakey and has too many ledges to gather dust, and in their place will be a tall double set of boxes on one side, and a narrow tower of deep boxes on the other. It should make the room a lot lighter, my materials more accessible, and be a good incentive for me to sort through everything and get rid of what has not seen the light of day for some years! I don't know how long it will take to arrive, but I know from the ones I have already got, that it will be very easy to assemble, and I can't wait to see it all in place.
In the meantime I have been busy in the kitchen again. I was given a bag of bitter oranges on Wednesday so yesterday was another marmalade day. There were enough oranges to do two batches so I now have 36 jars on my table, just waiting for their labels before I store them on the shelves in the garage.
For each batch of marmalade I make I use 2kg of oranges and 5-6 lemons, so I am working through the ones on our tree, only picking them as I need them. There is still plenty on there at the minute which is great, as I usually have to buy the lemons. You can now clearly see the next generation of fruit forming, so it is looking hopeful for next year's crop too.
And I think that is just about it for this week, so i will just link up with Rocking Your World and Annie's Friday Smiles, and I promise I will visit everyone else this week as well.

7 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

It sounds like you had a good week, Kate. Thanks for explaining how you get the bags to the recycle bin. What is odd is we get our recyclables picked up with our trash. We used to have to sort everything from paper to plastic to cleaned cans, etc., but now we put everything into one container. Trash, of course, goes in a different one. I compost all my food waste and coffee grounds, so I have very, very little trash.

Your son looks really happy. Sounds like a great show, too. Glad they are getting rave reviews.

I am really impressed with the crocheted square. I bet it takes forever to make one.

We've been hearing a bit about Brexit, but it seems like those in the UK are having the worst time. You got a good turnout in your town.

I want some of those lemons. Wish they would grow where I live, but I think it's far too cold here in winter.

Have a great Friday and awesome weekend, too!

Lisca said...

Well that was a post full of smiles! Ben in his panto costume made me smile. A panto is such a typical British thing. I have only ever been to one panto in my life and that was an amateur panto from Graham's factory. It was great fun though.
It's s o sad to see good friends move away. And for your church it's the loss of the organist and choir person. You might have to sing a cappella sometimes...
That is great news that the airport has finally opened. I think it has been 10 years in the making and then when it was finished, they still couldn't open it due to some administrative problem. I assume it is bigger and I hope they will do more flights, which will be good for us.
That was a well attended Brexit meeting. Graham is not that fussed. We will see what happens. There isn't much we can do about it, what ever happens. (and I'm not British)
What a beautiful butterfly moment! I have never seen that. Spring is coming!
Oh that crochet looks complicated to me. Even for you it is a challenge! But it certainly is effective.
Great to have so much marmelade. I assume they are going to be sold at the church. I know people who have an orange tree, but they have it for decorative purposes and don't want to take the oranges off. So I buy the marmelade in the shop.
Have a great weekend,
Hugs,
Lisca

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Kate, busy week for you with lots of smiles. We've been watching the news to see what our government have been up to while we are away. We have friends who work in France during the ski season and will still be here when the Brexit supposedly takes place and they have no idea what effect it will have on them. My female friend works as a Nanny and has a UK CRB and it may not be accepted but there are other things too so who knows. In the mean time we have fingers crossed that it gets sorted. Have a lovely Friday and a great weekend. Hugs, Angela xXx

Lisca said...

Here I am again. Just to comment that we also have signs on our bins, but here it is 8 pm. In winter that means doing the rubbish trip in the dark, but it is only a few minutes walk (but all up hill!) We recycle so much that we have a full bin only once or max twice a week. Graham does the recycling in the car once a week.

kiwimeskreations said...

Your world is so different to mine Kate, and I do so enjoy your weekly updates! Your son looks quite a character dressed for the pantomime.
That meeting sounds intriguing - it
s interesting watching from this side of the world all the machinations going on in England.
Your crochet looks fascinating... must see if i can find that technique - not that I have time to sit and crochet at the moment.
So sorry to hear you are loosing friends - but I guess that is part of the 'risk' of retiring overseas, that when health fails, 'home' and the health care system you know is the place to be.
Love your photos of the lemons, butterfly and the almond blossom
Blessings
Maxine

Virginia said...

I love the photo of your son, you have such a talented family! I'm assuming this will reach a scrapbook layout at some point!

Ah so sad to be saying goodbye to obviously lovely friends you will obviously really miss them and their contribution to their community.

The crochet (as you know) always amazes me as I've been utterly defeated by it as a craft and always love to see what you are creating next!

We love marmalade and its brilliant to see that you found a way to use up your homegrown lemon supply.

I hope you have a fabulous week ahead (and hope the fire behaves itself)

Hugs

Annie said...

Hi Kate. Sorry I'm so late in commenting this week....my ipad is still playing up and refusing to let me leave comments and this is the first time I've had chance to use the laptop.
You have had so much to smile about this week...I love the photo of Ben, the signs of Spring always make me smile and so does your marmalade....yum yum. I really hope Brexit comes and goes quickly and that it doesn't badly affect too many of us.
Hugs,
Annie x