Friday, March 1, 2019

Rocking Your World 2019; Week 9

Hi everyone. And as Lucy from Attic 24 would say, I am starting this week with my "Ta-dah" moment. Yes my Havana blanket is finally finished so it is time for the big reveal.
Back in my October 14th post from last year, I wrote about starting this blanket. It took me ages to work out the colours I would use. I spread out all my colour pegs for Stylecraft Double Knitting Yarn, and divided them into two sets which gave good contrasts between them and then arranged them travelling roughly through the rainbow to the centre, and then back out again. I used forty-one colours altogether. I did not want it to have any hard stripes so I randomly worked through one set of the darker colours and at the same time the set of contrasting colours, and I have to say, I love how it turned out.
The technique is called 'mosaic crochet' and it is worked entirely in DC with Trebles used to work into the row two below making the texture. (That's SC and DC in USA terms). Here is a close up to show some of the texture.
The border is double with the mosaic pattern on the front and plain trebles on the back. It's background colour is deep purple, not black as it looks in the photo, and sandwiched between the two layers, is a multitude of yarn ends, because every row is worked from right to left, and the yarn is then cut. Sewing them all in would have been a nightmare, but instead they are tied together in pairs and hidden inside the border which was a great idea.
The blanket is a birthday/house-moving present for my son in UK and he loves it too. (Sorry to my Facebook friends who have seen it all before!).

So on now to my next 'happy' moment which happened on Wednesday afternoon when we answered the doorbell to find this pallet of boxes at our doorstep. My new craft-room storage had finally arrived. It was six weeks since we had ordered it, and I feel the company's customer service was poor, but the goods are top class. I was pleased to see that all the packaging was made from recycled paper. The boxes were labelled as "used before but checked carefully for strength", and all the 'padding' inside was recycled paper and strong cardboard tubes. So when we had managed to manhandle all the boxes indoors and unpacked and checked all the contents, we made two trips to the recycling centre to pass it all on to be used again.

The storage towers are flat packed but fit together really well, and only really proved quite hard for us because the side pieces are so big and heavy, and we are not getting any younger! However, with my dear hubby doing the lion's share of the work, we got the big one assembled first, and today we made up the second one. They are designed to hold the "Really Useful Boxes" and the first one has 18 shallow 12" x 12" boxes down one side, and A4 size boxes in various depths down the other. You can glimpse my very untidy desk next to it, which hopefully will be cleared soon as I find new homes for everything. The large box on the floor is an extra I ordered which is designed to hold 12" x 12" hanging files, and it will live under my desk, eventually.

The second tower is on the opposite wall, sitting alongside the ones I have already had for some years. It is tall and narrow with reinforced shelves, specially to hold big, deep boxes for all those things that just don't fit in the shallower ones. So I am all set up and now I need a few weeks or so to sort out what is going where, and then get them all labelled so I find it all again when I need it!


Yesterday was a fun day because it was Día de Andalucía, a very important day for all the folk living in this region. Here is a picture of Andalucía and one of Spain to show where we fit in.
If you look closely at the top picture, on the far right of the white area, there is a very small star. That is roughly where my village of Los Gallardos is.
I have been reading a bit about the region, and Andalucía only became an autonomous region 39 years ago when their flag of green and white stripes came into being. "The green and white of Andalucia’s flag represent hope and peace, respectively. The Andalucian coat of arms features Hercules calmly stroking two lions, between the Pillars of Hercules. According to Roman legends, Hercules was on his way to the garden of Hesperides and used his superhuman strength to smash the mountain of Atlas in two, creating the Strait of Gibraltar. The Rock of Gibraltar, on the Iberian peninsula, and Jebel Musa, in Ceuta, have since been known at the Pillars of Hercules. According to the Law on the anthem and shield of Andalucia, Hercules represents the ‘eternal youthful force’ of the human spirit, and the two lions represent pacification of our powerful animal instincts." (That is a direct quote from the piece I was reading, but I thought it was quite interesting.)

Celebrations in our village followed their usual pattern of a concert in the big marquee on the car park, with local dancing schools and the village choir taking part. I like to watch the children dancing. 
First there were some older girls doing Fusion dance. It was very loud and I thought quite aggressive in some of the movements.

They were followed by the more traditional style of dancing, that leads them on to Flamenco dancing if they stick with it. This was one of the youngest groups and the lass on the right stood frozen on the edge of the stage and didn't move a muscle. The third from the right was a real drama queen over exaggerating every move and expression. She really made me smile. And the little tot on the left did her very best to follow the girl next to her, mostly half a beat behind, but see from their faces how they enjoy it. They must love wearing all the pretty dresses, but I wonder how they manage to keep huge bunches of flowers on a comb in their hair.

Then groups of various ages had their turn, ending with the two young ladies who teach the group, who are both very good.




The final act was the village choir, resplendent in their frilled dresses, who sang with great gusto and with much clapping and use of castanets.
As soon as the concert comes to an end, everyone picks up their chair and hastens to find a space round one of the three long tables at the back of marquee, which are covered in plates of meats, cheeses, bread and salads. These were set up earlier and covered in long rolls of white paper, and no-one, not even the children, considers touching or even peeping under it, until it is time to eat. We are very good at free meals in our village and there is always enough for all comers to have their fill.




I just have a couple more photos. This one makes me smile each time I go out the front door. A couple of weeks ago I was so pleased that three little tiny daffodils had opened in one of my pots. This week the matching pot on the other end of the steps, has six flowers open and another blue hyacinth, and if you look closely you may just spot a bud of a much larger daffodil at the back, so hopefully that will be open too very soon. The Spanish folk love them as they are not normally seen over here.




I also mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I had been making Christmas cards using images, frames and sentiments salvaged from cards I received this year. Several people said they were interested to see what I had made so here they are. You can see them in more detail on my craft blog where I linked them up to a monthly challenge.

And finally one sky photo, taken at the end of beautiful day. It had been lovely and warm all day and I had spent the afternoon reading on the porch, but as tea-time approached, the sun was lost behind some fairly dark clouds, and I almost expected rain. A short while afterwards, there was a break in the clouds and a really bright setting sun shone though. So here it is.
And on that note I will bid you all good-bye and link up with my Friday friends on Annie's Friday Smiles, and Rocking Your World.
(Apologies if this turns up in your post in a variety of fonts and sizes. I do use a large font for the sake of some older members of my family who enjoy reading it, but on my post it is all in the same font and same size, but not when I publish it on my computer. Blogger just isn't on the same hymn sheet as me today).

5 comments:

Annie said...

I have a much smaller set of RUBoxes in a unit that I keep my paper/cards etc in...I don't use a lot of course...and I really love how they are made so I just know you will enjoy filling yours with everything you use. I guess they are called really useful boxes for a reason. :-)
I always love to see the wonderful dresses worn over there at your celebrations so thank you for sharing them with us.
As for your blanket...yes I did see it over on Facebook....but I could never tire of looking at it. I'me amazed at just how quickly you've made it and am sure your son will love it.
Hugs,
Annie x

Virginia said...

Oh what a lovely post, your blanket is amazing - I'm sure it was very well received as a gift - utterly stunning!

The village celebrations look amazing as always and the shared food side of things always makes me smile as it is such a community celebration!

I'm loving the daffodils, I now have some on the front of my house and they are definitely raising a smile, they usually track the sun when we have a bright day!

I hope you have a fantastic weekend and week ahead.

Hugs

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I apologize, Kate. I realize I'm really late visiting. I got caught up in the last day before a big storm is to hit. Had to stock up on food and supplies in case I lose power in the next three days. Snow and ice up to 5 inches tonight and more to come after that. Looks like it's so nice there, you probably can't relate.

Those boxes are amazing. I've seen the same set up on Angela's blog. They really ARE really useful, albeit slow to arrive. Maybe they had to wait for recycled paper (grin).

What a beautiful blanket for your son, and it goes so well with the photos from the festival. It looks great that an entire community can get together like that.

Amazing flowers and a wonderful sunset. Hope your Friday was great and you have a lovely rest of the weekend.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Kate, I don't know where to start with this, there is so much going on. Loving the blanket, it's brilliant and of course the craft storage. I love these storage towers. I found when I ordered mine last year that I had to wait longer than expected as they were waiting for the boxes to arrive with them but the products are first class and really strong which is just as well Lol! In theory this should mean that my craft place is now free of clutter....well it's not Lol! Have a great weekend, Angela xXx

Lisca said...

Wow! I am really impressed with that blanket.I have never seen anything like it. The stitch is unusual and does not look at all like crochet. The colours are amazing. You have an eye for that sort of thing. Those colour combinations do make or break a blanket like that. Well done you! (And your son is a lucky so-and-so that he gets it)
I haven't been to the celebrations on Thursday. It's mostly authentic flamenco, which is totally wasted on me but the locals love it. There are no tourists here of course so the entertainment is slightly different and limited.
I am slightly envious of your storage solution. Those RU boxes are really good aren't they. We go to the 'Chinese'. There are some pretty huge ones around here and they all focus on different things. My house is full of storage boxes of every size and many (plastic) baskets. Very handy.
Interesting to read about Andalusia. I didn't know it was so youg as an independent region. I'm sure the area was called Andalusia when I was at school. I smiled at the 'pacification of our powerful animal instincts'.
The girls in their pretty dresses also made me smile. Don't they look good. I think any woman would look good in a dress like that.
Your daffodils are pretty too. It announces spring.
Your cards are so beautiful. I recognise the images as I have received cards with those images. You have turned them into master pieces.How do you get such beautiful sentiments on the cards? Do you cut them on your Silhouette machine? Or print them on the computer?
Lastly, your post didn't have different font sizes, so it seems you have sorted that before you posted.
Have a lovely weekend,
Hugs,
Lisca