Friday, March 5, 2021

Rocking Your World 2021; Week 10

Another fairly peaceful week has passed though it hasn't been the best weather-wise. The sky has been grey most days and there have been a few 'very dirty' showers of rain. We have given up cleaning the black glass table in our porch until the sun comes back. Right now it looks like another patch of garden!

The sun does break through occasionally but most evenings this is the only sunset we see.

(I still like looking at it, and watching to see how it changes).

I did manage to grab the two sunniest mornings to do two big loads of washing, and got it dry outside, so I was grateful for that. I do not own a tumble drier, and have very few places to hang washing indoors, so I need to make the most of any chances of outdoor drying. We have a very good weather app on our phones/computers, which is usually very accurate and that helps us to plan our weeks.

Our new office chairs arrived, one day later that expected, but the company did write to warn us and apologise for the delay. They are good sturdy chairs with a comfortably padded seat that slides backwards and forwards, as well adjusting to the required height. The back lifts up and down as does the head rest, as well as reclining and locking in one of three places. There is also a pump to increase the lumber support which I like. Even the arms can be raised or lowered, so they fit under the top of my desk. All in all we are very pleased with them. So I hope they last for a nice long time.

I decided to do some more baking but checking my cupboards I found I was down to enough strong flour, and enough spelt flour, for one loaf of each. I also only had one small portion of my preferred fresh yeast, and a small amount of dried yeast that was a month out of date so I wasn't sure how well it would work. But I went ahead using the dried yeast with the spelt flour and made a 'tin' loaf that worked really well. I like the spelt flour. It makes a nice even textured loaf without any huge air holes, and it rises well if I am patient and leave it long enough.
Then I used the strong flour and the fresh yeast to make a fruit loaf, using my Hot cross bun recipe. It also worked well, but I turned it out of it's tin a bit too soon which flattened it a little. But it still tastes fine. I love a slice toasted for breakfast or tea.


I was in the sitting room the other day, playing around with the settings on this phone camera, and I caught Tango sitting on one of the lower platforms of the cat tower, just staring at me. It is rare to get a picture of him actually looking at me. He is around ten years old now and is beginning to look his age. His fur has lost some of its colour, and is harder to keep looking nice, but he is still gorgeous, and a real comfort lover. He often sits on my lap because he  knows I won't let Tolly torment him there.
Tolly is a born tormenter. He really just wants someone to play with, and he goes to Tango because the others will fight him off, while Tango is so laid back, and he tolerates him until he gets a bit too wild!
They take it in turns to rest on the tower platforms, but don't often both lay on at the same time. But that night Tolly was up on the top platform. It is right by our big mirror, and although he doesn't react much to his reflection, he seems to prefer laying with his back to us, so he can keep an eye on what 'that other cat' is doing.
He is ten months old now, bigger than any of the other cats, and is developing his full colours. He has a very dark face which is typical for his breed, but still has beautiful blue eyes. His feet still have their white mittens, and he has one black heel, and is getting darker down his back towards his tail. He has the most full, fluffy tail I have seen on a cat, and he often carries it high above him. I am slowly weaning him off kitten food and introducing a little adult food in each meal, so when this lot is all gone, he can eat the same as the others, which will make life a bit easier.

We do have an adequate internet in the village, but it sometimes let us down and just drops for a while, and the speed could be faster, so we were pleased to see workmen outside the house this morning. They were laying cables for a fibre network system, and when I talked to one of them, he said it should be up and running in two to three weeks time. When they remade our road, back some ten years ago, we knew they built in the potential for underground cables instead of all the overhead ones that are everywhere, so it is good to see that being put to use.

Another thing we are very grateful for is that the number of virus cases here is dropping, not only in our village, but all over the province and most of the country. We are now well below the cut off point of 500 cases per 100,000, so when the next level of restrictions is announce tonight, we are very hopeful that we will no longer be confined to the village. We will be able to move around within the boundaries of AndalucĂ­a, go to larger supermarkets for a wider choice of goods, and drive down to the beach for a sea-front walk, all of which will be most welcome.

So now I will just link up with Annie's Friday Smiles and Rocking Your world.






5 comments:

Annie said...

I really love the look of your new chair...I am looking for one too so may have to quiz you as to where you got it from. Your cats always make me smile. Tango always looks so grumpy bless him and Tolly really has grown into a gorgeous cat now.
Hugs,
Annie x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

The weather has been up and down here too and I never know which coat to put on. The chairs look good, hope they're nice and comfy. Tango is certainly giving you the eye or maybe he's fancying that bread you've made. I think we've all got our fingers crossed that things are looking up and with luck will continue to get better but it still amazes me how many people still refuse to wear masks or give people distance when they pass. Have a great weekend, Angela xXx

Virginia said...

Fingers and toes crossed for your lockdown allowing you to venture for your bigger shop. I love the look of the homemade bread, it looks mighty tasty, we are weight watching and bread is an achilles heel for hubby so I daren't even suggest him baking, but I bet your house smelt absolutely amazing.

I'm sorry your weather is still changeable, however I bet it is still better than ours, hubby went painting bits in the garden yesterday, it came over dark, threw it down with rain and we were back to square one this morning, I've been out planting violas this afternoon but it is bitterly cold, I've hung some washing out but I simply don't think it will dry before the end of the day, so I'm leaving it out in the hope a few rains of sun tomorrow might help.

Loving the photos of your cats, they are both very beautiful and I had to smile at Tolly keeping an eye on that other cat in the mirror!

I hope you have a beautiful and blessed weekend and week ahead.

Hugs

kiwimeskreations said...

Oh your Tolly is gorgeous - such a handsome fellow.
Tango has such a scowl on him, or is that just an intense look?
Our weather here is changeable at the moment too, but that is Autumn for you! It can be sunny one minute and raining cats and dogs the next. We have had several days of thunderstorms too - when it clears late afternoon we often have the most vivid sunsets!
Loving the look of your loaves - I have long since given up baking bread with just me - one small loaf can last me two or three weeks, so I have to keep it in the freezer!
Your new chair looks and sounds amazing!
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

My apologies for taking so long to visit this week, Kate. I KNEW I shouldn't have linked because I felt I would be late visiting.

Although it's far too cold to dry items outside right now, I always hang my clothes and bed clothing out in spring through autumn. They always smell so much fresher, too.

I think you got a very good ergonomically designed chair. I can't imagine you wouldn't be happy with it.

Both breads look wonderful. Now I'm really, really hungry!

Tango is still a real beauty, but it's too bad Tolly has a habit of being a bully. Tolly is truly lovely, though. I'm amazed how large he is, too. I thought Bleubeard was big, but Tolly is LONG!!!

I was recently upgraded to fiber optics and you are going to LOVE the difference. Twice as fast and no extra cost, since I got a very slow internet speed plan.

Again, sorry I'm late visiting. I hope your weekend was perfect in every way, dear.