Friday, July 16, 2021

Rocking our World 2021; Week 29

Last week I started by saying it was hot. Well this week it just got hotter! We had a freak temperature surge on Monday when even our shaded thermometer went up to 41 degrees. Going outside was like hitting an invisible wall of heat, and when the wind got up as well, it was like a hot hair-drier blowing on you, and to add insult to injury, it was carrying a lot of desert sand!. Needless to say we stayed inside with the aircon on. It is a rare occasion when we have it on all day as I find it very drying, and I am not convinced it is healthy to make the room too cold when it is so hot outside. But there are some times when it is very necessary and Monday was one of those times. The animals came in with us, and while Kim sprawled out across the floor, Foxy sat on the settee. She was just across from Chris and he managed to take this lovely photo of her. It really shows her blue eyes at their best. She is very camera shy so we rarely get a good picture of her.


I was very glad that we had made an appointment for Kim to have a much needed trim on Saturday. We were worried because he is notoriously uncooperative with groomers, to the extent he has had some very bad cuts, and on two or three occasions they have phoned us to collect him while he is still wet because he was so stressed out by the drier. Two groomers have even refused to have him. But we went to a different girl who I had been told had managed a friend's big dog very well, and we were really impressed. She was only a slip of a thing, but she did a really good job. She explained why his coat was not suitable for a close shave, but she removed all the undercoat, cleaned up the long hair on his rear end, and the back of his legs, trimmed his nails and feet, and bathed and dried him. She even sent me a video of him just laying there while she used a really quite fierce drier on him. She has a magic touch. He is a very handsome fellow, and even more so now he has been trimmed. I would definitely go to her again. I am sure it kept him a bit more comfortable in Mondays heat too.

Fortunately the intense heat only lasted for a day and by Tuesday we had a ten degree or more drop in temperature. Apparently we can't call it a heat wave as the temperature has to be above a certain level for three or more consecutive days for that, but whatever you call it, one day was plenty. For that day it was even too hot to get in the pool until late evening as it is in full sun, but we have made good use of it for the rest of the week. 

One morning I heard some noise out in the yard, and went out to find Chris starting to dismantle our old shed/changing room. It has become a dumping ground for pool towels, old garden chairs etc, and since it got wet inside when we had our big flood, the floor is unsafe and the whole place smells musty. So for quite a while we have talked about taking it down, but hadn't quite decided how we would tackle it. Of course, it didn't occur to Chris that it would have been easier if he emptied everything out of it first!  But it was too hot to work on it for long, and the next  morning we did empty it. I sorted everything into three piles, one to keep, one to throw away and one for the charity shop. We have to wait until 21st July for the next time we can put 'large items' out by the bins for removal, but that is not long now. Then all the broken chairs, old sun lounger cushions, and the panels of the shed can go in one lot.  The charity shop bits have all been washed, so I can take them down to Turre in the morning. The rest of the shed will be tackled early one morning while the sun is still low enough not to cook us while we work!

On Tuesday we had our first proper market. It was back in its own home, in the street parallel with ours. This week it is our village's patronal fiesta and although it is still very low key, there will be some fairground attractions for the little ones to enjoy, and the temporary market site on the car park was needed for this. But as well as being in its old position, there were more stalls and once again we were allowed to pick our own fruit and vegetables, using the disposable gloves provided on each stall. I was happy with that, and as this is the height of the summer fruits season I was able to come home with this lovely selection.

I love the little flattened peaches known as paraguyos, but they ripen very quickly so we will have to eat them first. But my best buy were these beautiful black cherries. Sometimes they lack flavour and don't ripen well, but these were just perfect and we are enjoying them immensely.

Gradually my hand settled down last week, though it troubled me in the night again last night, but I was happy to find that I can still handle a crochet hook, so here are the next squares for my Tropical shores blanket. I finished all four needed of the palm tree squares, and this week's one was much easier. It represents the waves and white foam as they break, and again I need four of them. I am on the third one so I expect I will have done all four by Monday when the next pattern is released.

It is a simple square so the designers picture board is simple too, but she has caught the essence of it very well.

And that my friends is it for this week. I have still failed to comment on some folks blogs, but had more success with others, so I will keep trying, and hopefully Blogger will do something to sort it out soon.

Linking up with Rocking Your World and Annie's Friday Smiles.

6 comments:

Annie said...

Sorry I'm so late with my visits...I've taken in 5 tops for me this morning [it's what is needed when you lose weight :-)] and made another school Memory bear....a busy morning.
Phew it sure sounds to have been hot over there Kate....far too hot for me I'm afraid. I'm glad you have the air conditioning to keep you cool. I love the photos of the dogs...Foy's blue eyes are stunning and I'm sure Kim will benefit from his trim...he's so handsome.
Hare a great week and keep cool.
Hugs,
Annie x

Lisca said...

Yes, it was a hot one. Like you, we stayed indoors with everything shut and the fans on. We don't have airco, but our flat is quite cool, so we didn't suffer too much.
That is a beautiful picture of Kim! Such blue eyes. I have never seen a dog with blue eyes before Kim. Is it normal for his breed to have blue eyes, or is it the luck of the draw so to speak?
How wonderful you have found a groomer that Kim tolerates a bit more. She must have a special gift with dogs. (either that or Kim is going a bit deaf and can't hear the dryer so well.)
Our cherry season is coming to an end, but we have found some on Tuesday, and they were like yours, delicious. We eat them all day long while they're in season.
Your wavy pattern squares look great. I hadn't realized you were having more problems with your fingers. I'm sorry to hear that. Warm weather is usually good for arthritic fingers.
Have a lovely weekend,
Hugs,
Lisca

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

No I couldn't stand that sort of heat. I used to like going to Spain in Easter, the weather is lovely then though some of the Spanish were still wearing fur coats! The fruit looks lovely. We've had some gorgeous Cherries recently too. Loving the pattern on the blanket, it's very unusual. Have a great weekend. Hugs, Angela xXx

Virginia said...

Hello sweetie and first things first your comment appeared on my blog comments when I opened it this morning so I've published if from there, thank hubby for hopefully sorting out the gremlins.

I really don't know how you manage with the temperatures but I'm fairly sure the air conditioning probably helps lol. I'm sat with a fan blasting me as it is current 24.5 degrees in the kitchen and our outside temperatures are set to climb to around 30 today, which is officially way too hot for me. Hubby is out boat training all weekend, so we've had to ensure he has plenty of water, sun cream and a hat at the ready.

As for your week you seem to have some real positives, how fantastic to find a dog groomer with the magic touch, that really is a positive and much better in your current hot temperatures.

I'm glad you hand settled down so you could carry on with the crochet, it looks fantastic already, can't wait to see the finished item. I hope your hand continues to calm too.

I can imagine an evening swim is absolute bliss.

I had to giggle at your hubby dismantling the shed with the contents still in it, mine would have done that too LOL! I'm glad you managed to sort the contents, will you be replacing it? I'm also envious that you can occasionally put larger items out next to your bins, we don't have the luxury of that I'm afraid.

I hope you have a fantastic weekend and week ahead.

Hugs

kiwimeskreations said...

Oh Kate, that heat must have been horrific - so glad to hear it was only one day, for your sake. I know what you mean about the aircon, but one has to do what is needed! Kim looks so handsome groomed, and Foxy's eyes are startlingly blue.
Hmmm, glad to hear you managed to get the contents out of the shed before it was demolished around the 'stuff' :)
Your crochet is looking beautiful!!
Those wee peaches are marketed here as 'flattos', and we sometimes have that style of nectarines too.
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I am having trouble leaving comments. In fact, for nearly two days, even though I kept refreshing, there was no comment box at all. This was especially true for embedded comment boxes like yours. It must have been a Blogger glitch.

Kim is beautiful. I've only seen one other dog with blue eyes and they were as piercing as Kim's. Glad you found a good groomer for Kim, too.

Nice to read your hand is better. Rest is always good. That wave pattern is beautiful. It will be a stunner when you finish it.

It's hot here, too. Hot AND humid. If I didn't have AC, I would die. I can take the cold, but not the heat. Glad it cooled at least a bit for you this week. I hope your weekend was great.