Friday, August 27, 2021

Rocking Your World 2021: Week 35

Hi everyone. I am starting this week with a photo that really made me smile. These teddies are not my work. They were made by my clever sister Brenda, who is 90 years old! Her daughter posted the photo. She has packed them up ready to go to a mother and baby unit in Sierra Leone, Brenda was always good at making animals, and especially loved little teddies. When I was younger and tried to make toy animals or characters on the boys' jumpers, I used to get her to do the faces, as she had a gift for getting them right.


Another week has flown by. The sudden rise in Covid cases in the village, which seemed to follow the small fiesta here in July, has slowed down and is in fact reducing quite quickly again, so that is a positive thing. But we still stay home unless we have a good reason to be out and about.

After some exceptionally hot days, the temperature has dropped and life is a bit more comfortable. It would be even more so if it wasn't so humid. We  actually had some rain on Tuesday. It didn't last for very long but it came down quite fast. Unfortunately it was heavy with dessert sand again, so everywhere was left looking brown and dirty. We had to pour water on the car windscreen before we could drive anywhere. But at least I could delay getting the hose out for another day.

I had a nice delivery early in the week. I am tired of waiting for my big oven to heat up just to cook a small pie etc for the two of us, and it makes the kitchen so hot for ages, so I ordered us a small table-top oven. I am quite pleased with it. It heats up very fast, and cooks in good time, but it seems to me a bit flimsy. I chose one that is made in Spain to avoid added taxes, and it was in the top five 'best of its kind' list on the internet, but I would have liked it to be a bit more robust. However, it has a rotisserie bar and I am looking forward to cooking a whole chicken on it at the weekend.


For those who asked, the zucchini chocolate cake I made last week, was very nice. It stayed lovely and moist, and we enjoyed it.

A couple of weeks ago I bought two kalenchoe plants in Lidls. I often choose them because they are very resilient, withstanding a lot of sun, and flowering for ages, often keeping going for several years. I put them in my three tier plant holder on the front porch, because the geraniums had finished for this year, but of course I then wished I had bought a third one for the top. So yesterday we popped into a garden centre and I bought a red one to complete my trio. They do look nice and bring a spot of colour up to the porch. As you can see, the pink one has got some flowers turning brown. I think I may have over watered it, but I am confident that it will soon recover.

And finally, I did manage to join all my squares together and crochet the border for my Tropical Shores Blanket. There were a few more palm trees to work around there, but I like the way it looks. I have washed it and laid it out on the orange bed-settee to dry which has given it a slightly orange look, but it is actually bright white which makes all the colours really stand out. It is slightly wavy around the edge so I could probably have gone down a size of hook to work the border, but I am not worried about that. It will sort itself out when it is used.


Next I may attempt to join my big coloured squares. It may be a bit too hot still to have an even bigger blanket on my lap, but it is made with thinner yarn so it may not be quite so heavy.

Now I will link up with Annie's Friday Smiles, and Rocking Your World.

6 comments:

kiwimeskreations said...

Glad to hear your temperatures are dropping Kate. We are in lockdown again as N.Z. has an outbreak of the Delta variant... makes for long days but I manage to fill them and stay sane - I think.
Love your blanket - that's really pretty.
I too love Kalenchoe, but I need to bring them inside over winter. They are easily started from a cutting by popping them into water, so I never buy them now -when the plant looks tired, I just start a cutting and pop it into a new pot...
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

Lisca said...

Oh what lovely teddies! Your sister is a genius! (And obviously still has good eyesight and dexterity at her age)
You did well to buy a small oven. I have a microwave combi with a fantastic oven. My main oven is a double one and as you say, it's too hot in the summer and it takes a long time to heat up. My electric combi heats up in no time and is easy to regulate. I can have upper and lower heat on at the same time, something I can't do in my gas oven. (There is a grill, but I can use either one or the other)
Let me know when you have used the rotisserie bar. I have never used mine that comes in my oven.
Your Tropical Shores blanket is beautiful. Amazing how the designer has made it to look really tropical! The individual bits were cleverly designed but now I see the total of it all put together, I am in awe!
Clever you for making it. It can't have been easy. (It looks complicated)
The kalanchoe are beautiful. Yes, It needed a third one and now it looks really festive.
Here in Granada North we are still green (have been for a while), so we are happy with that. Mask wearing on the street is no longer compulsory, although most people still do. I take mine off when there is nobody around, but when I see other people I put it on.
Have a great weekend,
Hugs,
Lisca

Annie said...

I’m late visiting again this week. When I have a couple of days off then I have to make up for it and have been really busy since I got home.
Wow. What an amazing amount of knitted teddies. Such a lovely thing to make. Your new plants are co colourful...I’ve had them as house plants before but they never last long for me. Your finished blanket is stunning...I bet you’re really thrilled with it.
Hugs,
Annie x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Kate I am so late visiting today just got tied up with stuff. The teddies are amazing, what a clever lady and so many too. Someone is going to love those. The little cooker is going to be really useful as often you really don't need a big one and you're right it wont take so long to heat up. Loving the flowers. I used to notice when we went to Spain in the spring there were lots of flowers but by the summer not so many so guess it's the heat. You have a lovely weekend and sending hugs, Angela xXx

Celtic house said...

Oh the blanket looks amazing! I have some of those flowers in my tv room window I assume the flowers go brown eventually I trimmed mine when they started to look very poor but that might have been an error. I'm glad the village cases are on the decrease again hubby read a news article this morning saying over 4 million people have died as a result of the virus worldwide, it's the first time we've seen a global number, let's hope things start improving. Hope you gave a brilliant weekend and week ahead

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Seems I'm even later than everyone else, Kate. I knew this was going to happen, though. Still, I didn't want to miss another Friday Smiles.

Your sister's Teddies are fabulous. Her faces are indeed beautiful. They are all so really sweet.

In summer, if I can't use my microwave, I will cook on the stove. I have a double oven and never use it till late October unless we get a cold spell. My top oven has a rotisserie, but I never think to use it. I hope you like yours and will show us the first time you use yours.

Your blanket turned out great. It really DOES look tropical. I know most of your weekend is already gone, but have a super rest of it and a great week ahead.