Friday, February 4, 2022

Friday Smiles 2022: Week 5

Hello everyone. Sadly our sushine is taking a break and we have clouds and rain forecast for the weekend, but we cannot complain as we have had a week of beautiful sunshine, with days warm enough to eat our lunch outside, and spend the early afternoon sitting out on the porch reading, browsing the internet, and crocheting, or even having a little siesta snooze! I made the most of the sun to get lots of washing dried, stripping the beds, and chair covers, as well as our usual clothes washing.

After a good Sunday dinner I knew I would doze if I didn't do something, so I decided to go for a walk, and this time I headed over to the urbanisation across the main road from our village called Huerta Nueva. In the original plans this large site was going to incorporate small shops, a bar and a recreation area, as well as a range of villas, town houses and apartments. Most of the housing was done, but the rest never happened, though they did dig out a big hole for an ornamental lake. Over time this has been very neglected until some of the residents took it in hand. They enlisted the help of volunteers and the council, and it now has a fence around it, the lake has been dredged to remove excess algae, a path has been cleared part way round it, and a few plants added at its side. They then clubbed together to buy some ducks which have thrived, and it is now a pleasant place for a short walk on a sunny afternoon. It is also quite a novelty for some of the local families who are new to the idea of taking little ones to feed the ducks. So that is where I was heading on Sunday afternoon.

I take my time these days and I can get there in around 25 minutes. The first thing I noticed as I left the main road, was the effect of the sun and rain on the campo. Instead of barren mud, there were areas covered in yellow oxalis plants.I had to take this one through the fence, but you can see how closely the plants were growing, and all had buds ready to burst into flower.

A few yards further on I saw this patch on a corner that were already in flower. They are a very sharp, acid yellow which shines out from their green foliage. Quite different from the pink and white oxalis we grew in the garden in UK.

Next I walked down the road where all the villas are, and in one garden I saw this beautiful mimosa (acacia) tree. It is early for it to be in full flower but how pretty it is. This is the type that we used to pay the earth for, to have a spray or two in a wedding bouquet, with soft yellow pompoms, and an open structure to the tree. The more usual form out here is a dense, tall shrub with much darker, almost mustard yellow flowers. Known in some places as wattle, in a month or two it will be everywhere.  (It is not as attractive as this one, and I am not so keen on it as it sheds a lot of pollen which I am sensitive to).


As I reached the campo I saw this beautiful aeonium. It is usually a cultivated plant so I suspect someone was clearing a patch of their garden and just moved it to the campo where it has thrived. I have one just behind the railings at the back of us, but sadly mine has not flowered this year. It has never had blooms as splendid as this one anyway.

Next I found this area which still has quite a few yellow wild crysanthemums in flower. They had a very early blooming this year and I think will mostly bloom again in early autumn, but it was nice to see these ones still surviving. I sometimes pick a few as they last well in water indoors.

You must be thinking that everything is very yellow. (One of my very early blog posts when we first moved here was titled "March is Yellow" which perhaps indicates how the seasons are changing). However, not all the wild flowers I saw were yellow. On one corner I passed this beautiful almond tree with its abundant blossom. The bees were enjoying it and it looked so pretty with a backdrop of open land and distant mountains.

I also passed quite a few clusters of the wild asphrodels. They are so delicate and wave gently in the breeze, but they can also withstand quite fierce winds. The individual flowers are very pretty. In the cultivated version the flowers are closer together forming a spire, but the wild ones are more openly placed, which gives them their fragile air.

When I talk about the campo I am often describing an area of open land that is flat mud with the odd rock and sparse vegetation. But the rain brings it to life and this week the campo is a carpet of wild flowers, or weeds depending on how you look at them, and alongside the path to the lake I saw lilac stocks, yellow broom, waving grass flowers, tiny daisies and many more.

The lake itself was as tranquil as ever. I only saw one other family there, and they were only passing so I took my time to wander round it, enjoying the antics of the ducks, who swam straight over to me, decided I wasn't going to feed them, and swam away again. 

There are two small islands in the lake with tamarisk trees on them. They are one of the few plants to take on autumn colours, and they are still tinged with rusty pink, but the new green is coming through.

The islands give the ducks some privacy and shelter and they probably nest there too. On the far side of the lake you can just see a little house under a willow tree, but it was empty this week.

Some of the ducks rest in the sun, or pad around on the mud surrounds to the lake and these two caught my eye. Look at that long neck. It looks like a cartoon duck.

The colours on their feathers are beautiful. I have tried to identify this one which has a black beak and black feet as well as black and irridescent green feathers. The nearest I have found is the Cayuga duck, but I am not certain about that.

This white goose came to investigate me, but soon wandered off again. I didn't know there were any geese there. I shall be popping over again soon to see if there are any chicks. I missed them last year but I remembered that they breed at a different time from the ones in UK. I just can't remember whether it was earlier or later!

Bottoms up!!

At the far end of the lake there is no path, but I decided to try and cross it anyway. The ground was very uneven but I held onto the fence, and it gave me a very different view of the lake.

I am not used to walking so I was tired when I got home, and was happy to sink down in a chair with a cup of tea, and rest a while.

Other than that my week has flown by as usual. I have spent some time in my room, putting finishing touches to a couple of birthday cards for later this month, and making another set of six Christmas cards. I won't show them as I will probably use them for my end of month Christmas challenge that I always enter.

I have spent some time at the computer designing elements for cards. I like "playing" with the software for my Silhouette Cutting machine. You can do so much with it if you are prepared to weather a good few failures on the way, and when you get it right and manage the final result you were working for, it is very satisfying.

We did the main, monthly food shop on Wednesday. It was fairly quiet everywhere. We still have to wear masks anywhere outside, and in the shops, but we are used to that now. Hand sanitiser is still available at most shop entrances and it is a fairly safe environment, though we are quite efficient these days and don't hang around unneccesarily.

I knew I was needing to shop by Wednesday, so I was pleased when a parcel due that day, came a day early. It was the equivalent of a 'squishy parcel', but as the wool was in a box, it was not so squishy this time. This is what was inside. Aren't those little coloured balls attractive? It is called the Rainbow kit, and it is also available in other colour mixes. The balls are only 20g each, and they are a 60% cotton:40% acrylic mix which is supposed to be lovely to work with. The little balls are idea for making toys, or adding decorations but I actually want the whole kit, for another small project that is on my waiting list. 

The grey yarn is to make a border around the Celtic tiles blanket when I have made all the squares. It is a shade or two darker than the squares and will finish it off nicely. Of course I am not ready for that yet, but it makes sense when the shop offers a fixed postage, to buy it all at the same time. I bought this from a Spanish shop near Murcia, who are the only stockist I have found here who sell the Sweedish yarn I am moving over to now I can no longer buy the one I used to buy from UK. I put the order in on Sunday, it was dispatched on Monday and arrived on Tuesday so their service is excellent.

This is the project I wanted the rainbow colours for. I love all the mandalas that are popular right now and I also love pansies, so when I saw this I knew I had to make it. It is called Pansy Pizza mandala. I hope mine looks like this when it is done.


I have no skies to close with this week so I will use another photo of Tango and Tolly together. They are so cute when they are being friendly, and not fighting! I don't know what was happening outside the kitchen door, but it caught their attention for a while.

And now I will link up wth Annie's Friday Smiles and when I came back next week I hope to have a "Ta-dah!" for you. *For those not familiar with Lucy from the award winning crochet site, Attic24, that is her phrase when she has a big completed project to show.

6 comments:

Lisca said...

I love seeing all the plants that you encounter on your walks as you know the name of them. A lot of the plants/trees we have here too, so I can always learn from your blog.
I love the yellow acacia . Is it the same as mimosa? In Italy on the 8th of March, women give each oter a twig of mimosa (Internationl Women's Day).
That looks like nice yarn. Where do you get it? I mean what is the name of the shop in Murcia where you order your yarn?
The mandala you showed is beautiful!
I'm off to see my mum now,
Have a lovely weekend,
Hugs,
Lisca

Annie said...

What beautiful flowers you’ve seen on your walk Kate. I love the lake and all it’s inhabitants. Such a gorgeous place to have close. That pizza Mandela is stunning....your box of yarns should do the job nicely. The photo of the cats was well captured...they look to be such good friends now....sometimes lol
Hugs,
Annie x

Elizabeth said...

Lovely post, Kate. I enjoyed all the photos of flowers. Very cheering.and yes, I'd say that is a Lake Cayuga duck too. When the children were young we had six of them, along with chickens and geese. Surprisingly, they don't need a pond to be happy - a couple of old horses troughs kept them very happy.They made an entertaining site as the waddled in single file down to the veg garden where it was there job to keep slug numbers down. Happy memories. The yarn and crocheted Mandela are beautiful. The pansies are really pretty. Have a good weekend. Elizabeth x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Annie, sorry I'm late writing this. We walked the dogs then I did some work need in the pond, forgot what time it was in the cabin (that was supposed to take two minutes!) and before you know it the day is half over though I do have some nice finished Resin pieces. So here I am though we have also had a phone call from the carers too about my mum and the doctor came out but says it shouldn't be anything too serious so we'll have to see in a day or two. So many gorgeous flowers, they are so pretty. Duck feeding must be an English pastimes maybe. Your yarn collection is lovely and the mandala is gorgeous, look forward to seeing yours too. Nice to see the kitties behaving too. Have a lovely weekend. Hugs, Angela xXx

kiwimeskreations said...

Ohhh, looking forward to your Ta Da!!! Your flowers are certainly beautiful, with lots of them in the yellow range :). I smile when you share about cultivating oxalis, as it is a very invasive weed here...
That lake looks as though it is a very pretty place to walk.
Looking forward to seeing your pansy mandala Kate.
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

Virginia said...

Oh your walk looks lovely and what a fab space, I'm glad they sorted it out even though the developers didn't get around to it, open water spaces are always so lovely.

The next crochet really is stunning, the pansies are so distinct, can't wait to see how it turns out, I had to smile at your 'squishy' parcel, I love those sort of parcels with creative goodies in them.

I bought myself a Cricut Maker (the old design) before Christmas and still getting to grips with it, but I've managed some titles for layouts today, which has please me know end.

I hope you've had a good weekend and week ahead.

Hugs