Friday, October 21, 2022

Friday Smiles 2022: Week 42

Well here we go again. This week has been quite a busy week starting last Friday when we went to a clinic in Mojacar to get Chris' blood test booked. Unfortunately we had to go back on Monday as that is when they do them. 

Saturday was his birthday, and as the place we had intended going to for a meal was closed for a big wedding reception, we decided to have lunch at a place on the way to Turre. Pre-pandemic we went there quite regularly as they will serve a simple one course meal which is what we usually want. However Monday was also my birthday so this was a joint celebration treat, so I went for the 'menu del día', which is a three course meal served at many places originally for the workers who start early, and return again to work in the evening, so they need a good meal before their siesta. It is usally good basic food, and I went for it because one of the starter options was my favourite jalopenas stuffed with cheese, and very nice they were too. My main course was chicken in peppercorn sauce and it was possible the best cook chicken I have had out here. It was melt in the mouth delicious. I really didn't need a dessert as well but I couldn't resist the profiteroles.The restaurant is set up on a slope with a long wide patio with tables where you can sit to eat, or have a drink with friends, and enjoy the lovely view of palm trees and misty mountains in the background. I took a birthday photo of Chris to put on facebook. (Sorry if you have seen some of today's photos already).

On Sunday I cooked a special roast beef dinner for us at home - another treat as we don't often have a proper joint of meat just for the two of us, though I do still do a traditional Sunday roast of sorts every week.

On Monday we were back at Mojacar for Chris' blood test and he took this birthday photo of me - looking a bit wind blown and dishevelled but still smiling! 

On the drive down I took these photos of a beautiful dawn, sunrise, through the car windows. It was a lovely start to my day.


Tuesday there was a coffee morning to raise much needed church funds. Jasmine, one of our congregation, holds a couple of these each year. Her house is a good forty minute drive from us, but I like to show some support when I can, so I asked Chris to drive me over. It was such a lovely day so she was able to have all the stalls outside. There was plenty of hand knitted items, books and DVDs, and a range of bric-a-brac to browse through. Tea and coffee were served inside the fly screen porch and there were tables around her pool so you could sit and chat in the sunshine. Just before we left the raffle was drawn, and the morning raised 408€, so well done Jasmine.





As soon as I settle down in the evening, whether I am inside or out on the porch, Tango has started coming to sit on my lap again. Yesterday he made me too hot and I had to force him onto the arm of my chair. He doesn't look too impressed.

Tolly has other ideas. I think I move around too much for him so he never sits on me for long. He decided that Chris' shoe was a better place to lie!

As we pulled in after one of our drive outs, I noticed how the pink vine next door had suddenly come into full bloom again. It has a few flowers all year, but Autumn sees it at its best. It goes by the botanical name of Podranea Ricasoliana, but has many simpler names, the most commonly used one being Pink Trumpet vine. It grows fairly robustly so we do have to cut it back when it hangs over our fence and tries to bury our plants, but I love it all the same.


We have a few other plants in the garden. This little pink carnation which I grew from a cutting from a bunch I was given years ago, just keeps on giving.

And I really thought this crown of thorns had given up and died, but it is producing a few new flowers again now.

But the real prize goes to the roses. They are still blooming. The flowers are a bit smaller than the first blooms, but there are loads of them. Here  are some I took a picture of yesterday.

And finally I have this lovely photo of my three great-grandsons. Today's babies just don't want to stay babies for long do they, and little Reuben has plenty to smile at as he watches his adoring brothers playing.

We had lovely long video chats with each of our sons on our birthdays. And despite all the postal disruption in UK, we did get cards from my three sisters. One of them is 92 in a couple of weeks, but she still made a lovely card for us, and we had other lovely handmade ones too. We know there are still a couple of cards floating around somewhere, that will probably reach us eventually. My son says they will probably arrive in time for Christmas! Family are so special all year, but even more so when we celebrate things together.

So now it is time to link up with Annie's Friday Smiles and get this published.

6 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Happy belated birthday to you and Chris. A dual celebration was nice Sounds like you had a great lunch, too.

All the flowers are lovely, but those roses are out of this world.

How nice that you were able to go to that coffee and what generous friends. I'm sure the church needed the funds and they will come in handy.

Those boys are SO adorable and they are definitely smile worthy. Have a super rest of Friday and a great weekend, dear Kate.

Annie said...

What a lovely post Kate. It sounds like you both had lovely birthdays. What a gorgeous photo of ther boys...they do grow up far too quickly.
Hugs,
Annie x

Iris Flavia said...

Happy, happy belated Birthday to you both, to another wonderful year!
And to the cats, too :-)
Yes, kids these days grow up so quick. All the technology, TV on demand etc. They don´t have to wait for anything anymore, Christmas items are in the shops since weeks.
Let me tell you... I am glad I am old. I played, I had Christmas-magic and all that...
But this is life, right - so let´s smile and enjoy!

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Kate, sorry I'm late today just been a bit busy for us. Loving the family photos and the flowers are beautiful. Wishing you a lovely weekend. Hugs, Angela xXx

kiwimeskreations said...

Happy (belated) Birthday to you both :) - it looks and sounds as though you celebrated in style . Yes, family are so special, and we have been blessed with a family visit today - my son and family who moved away in January - and tomorrow a nephew and his wife are calling in - I have not seen my nephew for 18 months and his wife for longer as they live in the South Island.
Loving all your flowers - what a wonderful climate you must have to get such a long flowering season.
You cats rally so look as though they have heaps of personality - especially Tango :)
What a great way to fund raise - and your friend must be very energetic to run several of these each year. Sounds as though you also have a lovely morning as well.
Blessings
Maxine

Celtic house said...

Ah our celebrations sound lovely, your meal out also sounds fabulous and the photos are great, I trust they will make it to a scrapbook layout soon.

The fundraiser did fabulous and what a lovely place to visit for a fundraiser, those blue skies are lovely (we are definitely missing them at the moment).

I'm glad that majority of the cards got through to you, hopefully the rest will follow soon, the postal issues are causing chaos over here, to be honest you post something these days and just hope it gets to its required destination eventually.

The pink trumpet flower looks spectacular, what lovely colours for this time of year.

Hope you are having a fabulous week

xxx