Friday, May 5, 2023

Friday Smiles 2023: Week 18

And so Friday has come round again already, and I am left wondering where my week went! It has been a pleasant week, warm but a bit hazy, so it was nice to sit outside without feeling too hot, and I have sat outside to eat my lunch each day. Chris sits out for much longer than me but I have a long, long list of cards etc that I want to make before my trip to UK which according to my son Ben is only 13 weeks away now, and we all know haw fast those weeks can fly by.

I am considerably more mobile now, though I can't walk too far, and my shoulder is really only painful when I lie down at night. So I have been getting as much done as I can.

We had our church Annual general Meeting on Tuesday at the local camp site and it was a good meeting with some important roles filled and several new faces on the PCC. After the meeting most of us stayed and enjoyed lunch together which made a nice change.

The garden continues to bloom in the spring sunshine. I have shown you this before I know, but it is so beautiful. It is a type of cacti, commonly called 'Chumba' and this is an ornamental one which survived the ravages of the white fly that almost wiped out the more common varient a few years ago, and which is only just coming back.  But this one continues to thrive and it pours over the edge at the back of our neighbour's garden and tumbles into the green zone. For just a few weeks it is covered in beautiful flowers.They open yellow and gradually turn pink and end up quite a deep orangey pink as they die at the end of the day. The next day loads more open up so it is always smothered in flowers and the bees just love it. You can see one in the far left flower in my close-up picture. The buds are packed as tightly all over it as is possible.

On Wednesday we had a fun time at our sewing group as we had a sort of celebration for the coronation. Lots of us managed to wear red , white and blue in some form and there were several hats though these had mostly been discarded by the time the photos were taken. I don't do hats at all, but I did find a red ribbon bow to clip in my hair. And I am wearing a white top with a blue skirt. Here I am with my friend Ann. One of the ladies went around taking individual or small group photos and she caught us. 

I just took group photos of each table but with the big windows at the front of the hall, the colours are not too good. I managed to sell 30€ worth of picalilli, and you can see the last couple of jars in front of me on our table. They too were sold by the end of the morning.


This is Selina who has run the group with her sister Gloria eversince it started. She is such a clown and is always ready to dress up to make us laugh. 
Some of the ladies baked lovely cakes and cookies for us to eat with our coffee/tea, but we had all visited this table before the photo was taken. It made for something a bit different and we all had a good time.








It seems like a long time since we had a sunset worthy of merit, and already it is around 9.30 before the sun goes right down so I am settled inside by then and miss it. But last night we noticed the sky was a bit pink outside the sitting room window, This is the opposite direction from the sunset, so it is only reflected colour in the clouds, but I went out the back and managed to get a couple of pitures. It had passed its best but the lighting was soft and pretty.

And with that I will prepare this to link with Annie's Smiles and publish it in the morning.

7 comments:

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Pleased to see you all having such a good time at the club, love the union apron. The skies look lovely on the photograph this week too. I think this is the best time of the year where you live before it gets really too hot....well too for me that is. Have a lovely weekend. Hugs, Angela xXx

kiwimeskreations said...

Sounds like a delightful week, Kate, with lovely weather. Your coronation morning tea must have been a delightful distraction from routine, and a lot of fun. That Chumba plant is stunning... and intriguing with the colour changes in the flowers. The evening sun photos look gorgeous
Blessings
Maxine

Annie said...

The sky pics are sooooo pretty Kate. Your crafty gathering looks lovely...it's so good to get together with like minded folk. Have a lovely weekend.
Hugs,
Annie x

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, Kate, so true, time flies by too fast! Nice you have such good weather.
Here another day "too cold for the season", as they put it in the news.

Yay for getting better - take it slow - I was too fast again yesterday and now my arm hurts.

To bees - I hope to see more than last year. Come warmth I´ll plant wildflowers, I have 3 sachets!

Thank you for the smile - that ribbon suits you well, as ... your smile :-)
King-to-be-Selina sure looks great.
The cookies to the bottom-left we call "Schweineohren" - pig´s ears - is that a punch on Prince Charles? I bet he would laugh and take two! Before being the King... or afterwards, too?
Great parting pics, hugs

Lisca said...

The weather is quite lovely now and I too like to sit outside while it is still bearable.
The chumba is indeed stunning. I haven't seen any here since they were almost wiped out. I think it will take years for them to grow again.
Your pre-coronation party sounds like good fun.
I will try and watch tv tomorrow to see a bit of the coronation. I have no plans so I'll have a 'day in'.
Have a lovely weekend,
Hugs,
Lisca

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

How wonderful that you are preparing for the coronation. It is truly amazing and will of course, be the first one I have seen.

Totally awesome sky shots. The sunsets glow even on my screen. Have a super weekend, Kate.



Celtic house said...

Well that weekend went in the blink of an eye, mine was incredibly busy we had a Coronation event at work so I was in work on Firday (unusually) and on Saturday, then blink and I find myself at the end of bank holiday monday and sooooo behind on a number of things, reading posts being one of them. I love that cactus plant, I'm not a fan of them inside, but seeing them in the wild really is amazing, what stunning colours. Your coronation get together looks lovely and its great to hear that you have a few more people helping your church group.

The sunset photos are stunning, have a fab week and I hope you catch up on your card making xxx