Friday, October 6, 2023

Friday Smiles 2023# Week 40

The year is hurrying by and here at week 40 I have very little to write about!

Thank you for all the thoughtful messages last week after my fall in the garden. I am almost recovered now. My knee bends again, most of the way anyway, and although my fingers are still sore, the bruise is fading and it doesn't hinder me from doing what I want to very much.

We have had a lovely week of sunshine each day and I have spent time most afternoons, sitting outside to do some craft, or reading. I needed new books on my Kindle so I downloaded the one Lisca said she was enjoying last week, and also the first one in the series. (Lisca's was the second). I sat out on the porch until 2.00 in the morning to finish the first one! It was a bit blood-thirsty but a good read. There are several more stories in the series so I may try some more. We will see how the second one goes.

With not a lot of news to tell, I thought I would show you my current "Work in progress". This was my holiday project. I was away for a month so I knew I would need something to do and I wanted a project that only required one colour of wool, and was not a  too complicated pattern so I could crochet and chat to family at the same time. I am also trying to use up some of my yarn stash and I had enough of this one to make a garment, so it was an easy decision. I have finished the main body, so now I have to pick up stitches around those rather large armholes and work down for short sleeves gathered into tightish cuffs. Then there is a border to work all around the neck, bottom edge and fronts. It will all look a lot better when it has been blocked.

We had an exciting shopping expedition early in the week when we went looking at new furniture for the living room. We sat on a lot of sofas! We finally settled on a wide two-seater settee with both sides electrically reclining, and also a small recliner chair in matching fabric, all in a light-teal tweed fabric. It won't be ready until mid to late November so no doubt there will be photos eventually.

This morning I went to a little local market at the camp site, because a friend was holding her 'end of season' sale. She used to run a fashion shop, but now buys garments from outlets all around southern Spain, and sells them from her home and website. But at the end of each season she holds a sale to clear her stock and there are always some good bargains. Today I chose a bright orange jumper, (I do like colourful clothing!), a short bat-wing top in lime green, and some beautifully soft black tousers. The trousers need shortening, but that is not too difficult, and the fabric is fantastic. I forgot to take any photos while I was there.

I did some paper crafting this week and made a set of eleven Christmas cards. (It's not like me to do an odd number of anything but it worked out that way this time). I can't show them yet as they will be my craft blog entry at the end of the month.

Look who has just come out from behind my big cork pin-board. I wonder how long he has been hiding in there. I love those little suction pads on his toes that enable him to run up and down walls at great speed. He is a welcome visitor as he eats all the pesky bugs, but he really needs to find his way out the window before one of my cats come down here and spots him.

And today I am closing with a photo of my mum in my garden back in UK. I took it when she came outside to say goodbye to a friend who came to see her. I think she was around 85 at the time. She is always in my thoughts, but today especially as it would have been her 119th birthday today! She sadly died in the June just before her 90th birthday, having lived with us for almost ten years. So we all have lots of happy memories of her.

Now I am off to the hospital at Huercal-Overa for an appointment with the dermatologist. The ulcer on my hand is reluctant to heal completely and is still often infected around the edge, so my doctor has referred me to the hospital. My first appointment came through for the last day I was in UK, so unfortunately I had to cancel it, but I didn't have to wait too long for a new one, so it will be interesting to hear what they have to say about it.

Friday-a brief update: The hospital visit was positive. A nice young doctor took a swab for testing and has ordered a biopsy. My translator helped me do the paper work so I am 'on the list'. I have no idea how long I will have to wait but at least they are doing something.

And with that I will link up with Annie's Friday Smiles.


7 comments:

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Kate, that's a lovely photo of your mum, she had a lovely smile. Loving the crochet and your visitor too. I hope you don't have to wait too l;ong for the results of the Biopsy. Thanks for the comment over at mine too. Sending hugs Angela xXx

Annie said...

What a lovely photo of your Mum...you look like her :-) Really hope your biopsy etc goes well. I love your little lizard...he looks huge.
Hugs,
Annie x

Anonymous said...

Gosh, you look like your mum! She looks a lovely lady.
Glad your hospital appointment went well. It takes a while for the results to come through but they’ll let you know.
I like your crochet project. The colour is beautiful.
Your little visitor is cute. We get them too. And they are very welcome.
Have a lovely weekend,
Hugs,
Lisca

Anonymous said...

I am still trying to heal from a skin infection too. Months of antibiotics
good luck to you Kate. Love your mum's picture. the top is so pretty, I've never tried a sweater. That gecko is so cute but would frighten me if he crept out in the house
LeeAnna

kiwimeskreations said...

Sometimes life is just like that, quiet - but that is not bad.. How exciting to be furniture shopping - that is always a good time, but can at times be stressful. Glad you made a decision and are now looking forward to delivery.
That lizard/gecko looks so dramatic against the wall there - no doubt the cats would make short work of it.
Glad to hear you may be getting answers re your hand, and that you are pretty well recovered from your fall.
Blessings
Maxine

Iris Flavia said...

Blogger mixes up again? Please delete one if both arrived, I wrote:
My new friend can sew, also! (as Ingo). I´m having a hard time with this.
One of my fav colors btw! The same (don´t laugh!) as my sewing machine!!! A turquoise Junior Singer!
Maybe I should make some Christmas Cards, too. I have blank watercolor-postcards!
Good luck with the hospital visit. I have to wait till mid/end of November for my doc-app!
At least we get these chances, huh - take a book. Here you likely wait "forever"...

Celtic house said...

Well to say you said you hadn't much to talk about that was a mighty fine post. I love your crocheted top, it is a beautiful colour and as always I'm incredibly envious of your skills. Your sofa purchases sound lovely, can't wait to see them in situ, reclining ones sound like bliss if I'm honest.

Giggled at your visitor in your craft room, I have fond memories of said 23 year old's pet gecko that he had, so it made me smile to see one just wandering around, loving the fact that they keep bugs at bay but I can imagine being an intrigue to pussy cats.

What a lovely photo of your Mum too, you definitely look like her and 10 years living with you, you must have some lovely memories.

Apologies for being missing in action recently life throwing a few curve balls if I'm honest.

I hope the biopsy results yield some way to resolve the ulcer and that it is sorted quickly.

Hugs