Friday, February 9, 2024

Friday Smiles 2024 # Week 6

My how the weeks fly by, and here we are at Thursday already, and time to look back at what we have enjoyed over the past few days.

For a start I have enjoyed the weather which has been mostly sunny, with a little hazy cloud, and one grey, damp day. But on Sunday it was lovely so we again decided to take the opportunity for a walk along the coast. We went down to Mojacar, and because we decided to go before lunch this time, it was very quiet there. (The Spanish families all turn out for a late lunch and walk on Sunday afternoons).

Just below the water line at the start of Mojacar beach, there is a large rock where most mornings the cormorants come to spread their wings and dry them in the sun. They always make me think of a group of old ladies gathering to have their morning gossip.

I could stand and watch, and listen to the waves rolling in and breaking around the stones for hours, but we were there to walk!

I don't know how far we went but it was a little further than usual as I had clocked up 8,000 steps when we got home - well over my daily target of 5,000

We passed this building which houses the beach 'facilities', and it is always kept freshly painted as it is one of the features along with the children's play area just near it, that help to keep our blue flag award each year for that stretch of beach.

I had to smile at this angle of the end of the building. At first glance the only thing I saw was a face of a man with a droopy moustache. Of course I soon realised it was a whale's tail, but it still made me smile.

We stopped at one of the beach cafés for refreshment before walking back to the car.

As we passed the rock on the way home I saw one bird was still there. It had a very white chest and I thought it was something different, but looking back at my earlier picture and zooming in on it, I dicovered that all the cormorants had white chests. I was surprised as I thought cormorants were all black, but when I looked it up I found that most of them are, but there is also a sub-species known as white-breasted cormorants, so my walk was educational as well as healthy!

I mentioned last week that a friend was introducing me to the craft of laser cutting, and it turned out to be a bit more of a chore than he had expected. The first machine he lent me wouldn't work at all, so he swapped it for another one which only partially worked! When we returned that one he had got the original one fixed so I now have that one back, and Yay! it is working. But it is not a straightforward machine to use and needs a lot of trial and error to find the right settings for power and speed, for each material, so I have had plenty of failures, but I am learning. I needed a good silhouette image to play with and the first one that showed up on my computer was a treble clef, so I went with that. And I have managed to cut one out from medium weight card, and have engraved a larger one into the surface of some MDF plywood. 

So now I have to plan a project and work out what materials I need. I do have some thinner sheets of plywood and some birchwood ply on order from Amazon but it won't arrive for over a week. In the meantime I can try some other images from thinner card - too thin and it will burn. I can also try to learn how to edit a photo to give me an image I can engrave with shadow-fill, rather than just an outline. So plenty to keep me busy. This photo shows it in action, but I have to wear dark green goggles when it is in use to protect my eyes from the laser beam.

It is a long time since we had a nice sunset, but on Tuesday evening I was just in time to catch this one before it all went dark.

One more little 'happy' is that this morning the bandage was removed from my hand. It is not completely healed but is no longer infected so doesn't need to be covered. I am hoping it will now continue to heal and the scar will fade and settle down a bit more. It is not a pretty site but at least it isn't sore any more.

And finally a funny little tale of a wee pixie. He is one of many that I made with my boys thirty years ago. We sold them at the primary school fete, and this week our home town local newspaper ran a feature called "A trip down memory lane", with the caption "Can you spot anyone you know?" Well sure enough, there was a photo of my son Tom holding up a Santa which we had also made, and the young girl beside him is holding one of the pixies. It was of course, a photo of the school fete, Christmas 1993. (Tom was 10). But back in December Tom had posted a picture on our family chat page showing his pixie being hung on his tree this year with the caption "Mum made this in the 90's". So I am not the only sentimental one in the family. Who knew that a bit of felt and a ping-pong ball could last so long.

And now I am ready to post this tomorrow on Annie's Friday Smiles.

5 comments:

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Kate, pleased to see you're making progress with the laser cutter. I read about the tree surgeons you met, we have had to go past some to get to see my mum and have chosen to take a different route but it meant an extra 36 miles either way but the trees have not been pruned properly if at all and now they are having to cut them down so it's not just our park. I love the painted building it looks brilliant. Have a nice weekend. Hugs Angela xXx

Annie said...

What a lovely walk in the sunshine. I love memories on Christmas trees....we have sooooo many.
Hugs,
Annie x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What an exciting week for you. That mural is fantastic. I can see why you keep the blue flag award.

That laser cutter is awesome. I like how you tackle new projects and master them. I look forward to seeing more as you make more items with it.

A gorgeous sunset and a really adorable and fond memory shared with your son. Have a lovely rest of Friday and a great weekend, too.

Lisca said...

Oh love the pixie story!
Clever you with the laser cutting. I struggled with my normal cutter. Let us know what projects you are thinking of.
Yes, the weather has been lovely, until today as we are having rain today. The first in many months!
Have a lovely weekend,
Hugs,
Lisca

Celtic house said...

Ah your walk looks amazing and I can only imagine how wonderful the sea sounded. I'm glad your hand us finally in the mend hope it is completely healed very soon. Your trial and error approach with the cutting machine seems to be paying dividends. I also love the newspaper flashback awesome. Hope you are having a good week xxx