Monday, January 10, 2011

Spring has sprung!

Yesterday we had a glorious sunny day, until teatime. I was just preparing the dogs' tea when I heard what I thought was the outside tap dripping. It turned out to be huge, penny size, raindrops, that left individual splashes on the paving stones. Five minutes later it was coming down in stair-rods and we were flooded on the patio. Then a few minutes later it was gone. A proper April shower...in January.

Today has again been a day of bright sunshine. We sat outside to eat our lunch and it was really quite hot. This evening I noticed that the almond blossom has opened during the day, down in the green zone at the back of us. At least I am assuming it is almond. I think that is the first one to come. Even so, I don't think we usually get it as early as January. All this lovely sunshine must be making it think that Spring has arrived. I suspect we still have a couple of months of cold and rain to come. Most people think February is the worst month out here, so we'll have to wait and see. But either way it's lovely to see the blossom out!

No comments: