Friday, February 1, 2019

Rocking Your World 2019: Week 5

Well I thought it was March that 'comes in like a lion and goes out like a lamb', but here we are on the first day of February, and that old lion is roaring away outside my window. I have had to tie up my lovely wind chimes, and there is dust and debris blowing everywhere. So I am very grateful for my warm, secure house, where I can sit at my desk, and write this post, with Arwen curled up beside me for company.
The week didn't get off to a great start because on Saturday Chris had to cut my wedding ring off for me! It is our ruby anniversary in April, and during those forty years I have only taken it off on a couple of occasions, when I had my hand and shoulder operations, and the hospital insisted. But as my arthritis has got worse, my fingers have days when they are swollen, and my ring finger had got so fat that I couldn't bend it and it was almost always painful. When I needed it off before, it was also a bit tight so it had to be cut off then too. The hospital told me a jeweler would do it, and the jeweler told me the hospital should do it, and in the end Chris did it for me. After that I had it made quite a bit bigger, but it has gradually got tighter again, and none of the alternative methods would help me get it off. So in the end I just asked Chris to cut it again. My finger remained puffy and sore for a few days, but it is gradually going down and I can now bend it, as much as I can any of my fingers anyway.
And the happy side of this, is that I can now wear my ring on the little finger of my right hand. Not the right place for it I know, but it is the only finger it could be made to fit, and at least I can still wear it.

The afternoon sun is quite low in the sky at this time of year, and as it hits the crystals that hang in my kitchen window, it sends rainbows all around the room.
I don't know why, but it always makes me happy to see this. Little rainbows dance all over the kitchen cupboards, ceiling and floor, and it is fun to watch the cats trying to catch them!
They always remind me of a film I loved when I saw it as a child, and I still watch it when they show it on TV - The film Pollyanna, where the little girl charmed a crotchety old lady by hanging crystals from an old chandelier in her window. (Perhaps I'm the crotchety old lady now allowing myself to be charmed by the same magic).

Last week I said I was trying to make the second test piece for a new technique in crochet - new to me anyway. I did manage it and only had to undo a row once, so it was easier than the first one for me. And here it is , a little snail.
I now feel ready to tackle the full size blanket so I have ordered the wool for it. The colour I want is out of stock, but they are expecting some more next week, so I won't have to wait to long. It will give me time to finish the one I am doing now, which is a good thing. I did the last row of the blanket last night and now have to attempt a wide, and complicated border. One lady in the Facebook group said the border took her a month to do, but finished the piece off beautifully so it will be worth it if I can do it.

On Thursday I had a parcel from Amazon which came in one of its usual cardboard boxes. I opened it in the kitchen - it was a new bread bin, and left the box on the floor. Within minutes Tango and Charlie were playing with it, both trying to get into it. Tango won and by the look on his face you know he is not letting Charlie force him out.
Being a contrary creature, as most cats are, as soon as Charlie gave up and walked away, Tango got out and wandered off too.
That night I pushed the flaps of the box inside, to strengthen it, and placed a blanket in the bottom, and all the cats have had a doze in it. This morning I heard a scuffle and found Charlie again trying to have a turn but this time Paco had got there first, and the way he was hissing, Charlie decided to take a step back. 
Paco and Charlie are both ten years old now, and we have seen a real change in Paco this year. He spends a lot of time curled up in a warm place, whereas Charlie is still very 'kittenish'. He is never still for long, and is the only one who likes to play with toys, bits of paper, or anything else that he can move to make a noise.

I had a problem with my car on Sunday which luckily has a warning panel on the dashboard so I knew it was best not to drive it.  Fortunately we still have our old car which Chris occasionally takes out for a spin, and I was grateful to be able to use that and still get to church on time. It was a bit like driving a tank after my blue one, but I did drive it all the time until a year or so ago, and I soon got used to it again. Our mechanic friend was delayed in UK due to the weather, but he has just sent us a message to take it down at lunch time, so hopefully I will have it back to use soon. I will have to use 'the tank' to get to choir practice tonight, but at least it is heavier so maybe I won't be blown across the lanes on the motorway. I am hoping it will have died down a bit by then, but it is not showing much sign of that yet.
There haven't been many big, bold sunsets this week, but I did get one picture earlier in the week.
And last night's sky was quite interesting too. 
I liked the way these funnels of cloud picked up the sun down their sides. I waited to see if it developed into anything more, but it soon got dark, so this was my last shot.

And with that I will link up with Annie's Friday Smiles, and Rocking Your World, and then I will print off the church news letter for Sunday. That means I can spend tomorrow morning back at the jam factory. I have been given another bag of lovely bitter oranges, so another batch of marmalade is on the cards. Then I will get ready to take the car down.
Say safe everyone, and don't venture out into the cold, wild weather unless you have to.


7 comments:

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

That was interesting that the hospital wouldn't cut the ring off because this happened to my mum and it was the hospital that did it. I'm not sure a jeweler would risk trying it. My wedding ring finger is the only one that I have had any problems with, think it's a bit of arthritis, and I've had the ring altered a few times so hoping it settles down now. We're coming up to our forty years too, don't know where the time goes. Cats are funny with boxes, they always make me smile. Have a lovely weekend, Angela xXx

Annie said...

Oh bless you having to have your ring cut off. We both had new larger rings to celebrate our 25th anniversary so I'm hoping these last us now. I love your little rainbows and will be getting myself a crystal for my sewing room windown when I see one. Your cats made me chuckle...if I pull out one of my boxes of fabrics Milly likes to climb on the top....funny little characters aren't they?
Hugs,
Annie x

Virginia said...

Ah bless you, we had a mighty blustery day on Sunday with 50 mph gusts, we went out for a walk which we decided in hindsight wasn't the wisest of moves!

I'm so sorry that you've had to cut your wedding ring off, but I'm pleased that you are still able to wear it!

The pretty rainbows are lovely, its years since I've seen Pollyanna but have vague recollections of it as a child.

Loving the sky photos, I hope you get the car sorted, we too are battling between garages and car sellers at the moment with the new car to the fold (said 18 year olds), its driving us all mad if I'm honest.

I hope you have a fabulous week and week ahead.

Hugs

Lisca said...

Yes, the weather is so blustery here too. The wind is literally howling and it has rained on and off. It was so bad this morning, Graham had to drive me to the gym (I always walk) as I was afraid to get blown off the road.
Your cat-and-box scenario is very funny. What is it with cats and boxes?
I love love love those rainbows in your kitchen. So pretty! I guess you have to have the sun at a certain angle to get this effect.
That bit of crochet looks mighty complicated. Congratulations for having mastered that.
Have a lovely weekend, hope your car gets sorted out soon,
and stay safe in this weather,
Hugs,
Lisca

Lynn Holland said...

We’ve had snow since Tuesday with more to come so we are not moving very far.
What fun with the kitties aren’t they comical.
Glad your hand is on the mend.
Lynn xx

kiwimeskreations said...

Oh dear - your hands must be so painful Kate, and what a pity to have to cut off your ring - at least you still have one finger it fits!
Your cats sound like they are quite characters - mind you a box seems to attract any cat for some reason.
That crochet technique looks fascinating
Blessings
Maxine

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I apologize for running late visiting. I know what you mean by swollen arthritic hands. My class ring sometimes fits on my left ring finger, my left middle finger, or my right little finger, depending on the weather and if my diet has included a lot of salt. I decided a few years ago to stop wearing it, because it got too painful to remove. I'm glad you can still wear yours without having it cut off.

You had quite a week with your car. Hope all turns out well in the end.

I had to laugh at the antics of your cats. Not only are they territorial, they seem to prefer anything that doesn't cost money like free boxes. Mine are the same, so it really put a smile on my face.

Have a great rest of the weekend, Kate.