Friday, February 21, 2020

Rocking Your World 2020; Week 8


Here's something I spotted this morning that tickled me.


Hopefully you are all smiling now, so let's see what has rocked my world for this week.

It has been another week of changeable weather, and I would be happier if it had been a little warmer some days, but when I see what my friends and family have been facing back in UK with storms Ciara and Dennis, I know I have lots to be grateful for. 
I had to be at a meeting for 10.00 on Monday morning, but the forecast said it would be a warm and sunny day so I put the washing machine on the night before so I could hang everything out to dry before I went out. But when I woke up on Monday there was thick fog, the like of which we very rarely see here. But I trusted in the forecast and hung my washing out anyway and sure enough by mid-morning the fog had cleared and the sun was out, and by the afternoon, everything was dry. So I am grateful for a reliable weather forecaster too.
This is a photo from early 2009. It is not brilliant but I couldn't find a better one in the time I have. It is the view of the Cabrera mountains as seen from our back railings.
However, this has been the view most mornings and evenings this week.
I know the mountains are there, but they have been hidden from view by low cloud or thick mist. On Tuesday and Wednesday we had low cloud and a fair amount of rain, but the other days the sun has soon scattered the mist and we have spent time sitting outside in the sun, and even managed to eat lunch outside one day.
Early Wednesday afternoon we sat out the back just watching some ants. They are such busy little creatures. There were three of them each going to different cracks between the crazy paving to collect grains of sand/stone, much bigger than their own heads. Then they all carried them back to the same spot a couple of stones away and dropped them, then scurried back for the next one. It was fascinating to watch them, and you have to admire their industry, and unwavering sense of direction. 
Beside me Arwen was sleeping and soaking up the sun. Little did he know that I was about to scoop him up to shave that tummy. He is starting to moult and every night there is a load of dead leaves and twigs wound up in his tangles, so the easiest solution is to shave it off. I may have to shave his sides too, but for now just his tummy will do.
Last week I showed some of my favourite wild flowers and here is another one. This is called Asphodel and it grows in profusion along the road side and on open ground where the soil is quite poor and dry. 
It flowers on long stems that wave gently in the breeze and it looks so pretty.
The individual flowers are pretty too. I am sure we used to grow something very similar as a cultivated plant in the UK. Here is an interesting quote from Google "In Greek mythology, the Asphodel is one of the most famous of the plants connected with the dead and the underworld: the Asphodel Meadows is a section of the ancient Greek underworld where ordinary souls were sent to live after death."

While I am talking about flowers here is a picture of the tulips I bought last Friday, taken this morning. I can't believe they are still looking as good as when I bought them. They have lived on my kitchen table as that is where I spend a lot of time, so I thought they may as well sit where I can enjoy them the most. I don't think they will open out far, and probably they will soon fade and die, but haven't they done well?! I will share a little trick with you that some of you may know already, but when I was told it, it seemed so bizarre that I didn't believe it would work, but it does! It depends how you like your tulips to be. They have a tendency to droop over quite quickly which to me is a shame as you don't get to see their beautiful stamens (especially on the big red ones that look like poppies when they open up). But when you first get them, if you take an ordinary sewing pin, and push it through each stem, about a centimetre (half an inch) below the base of the flower, then take it out again and put the flowers in water, then they will not droop. As you can see, it worked for mine. The first time I tried it I left the pins in  and it looked a bit odd, but then someone told me I should take them out again. You live and learn!

When I do manage to get to my craft room to make cards, I really enjoy stamping and colouring. My favourite colouring medium is my alcohol markers and a few years ago my lovely husband bought me the full set of 168 colours of Copic Ciao markers. I love them because unlike most alcohol ink markers they have a brush tip, and they blend beautifully. Sadly some of my most used colours have recently dried out so it was time to replace them. Crafters Companion have just released a new version of their Spectrum Noir pens called Illustrator which also have a soft brush nib. (The original Spectrum Noir pens don't have this). So I decided to try them out. I chose a range of colours and sent off my order, and on Tuesday they arrived. I love having new pens so I was excited to try them out. I am fairly pleased with them. They are very nice and smooth to use, but the ink colours do not match the pen tops at all, and some colours are not at all true to the colour chart I chose from. However, they are within the range of shades I needed so I will enjoy using them. To help me select the pens I need on any project I keep a colour chart of all my Copics so I can see what they are actually like on paper, so my first job was to make a similar chart for these new pens.
As you can see it was greens and skin tones I needed most. I have since used them to colour some stamped images on a set of four Christmas cards I have made for a Challenge I join in with on 25th of each month. So I'll be posting them on my craft blog next week.
And another little bit of craft news. As you probably know by now, I have had a Silhouette Cameo machine for years now. It is something that connects to the computer and you can import an image into the software, or design your own, and the computer then sends it to the machine which cuts it out. My Cameo 2 was getting a bit worn and wasn't communicating with the computer as well as it used to, so when they brought out version four in November, Chris ordered one for me for Christmas. How lucky as I? It arrived quite quickly but I had several other things going on at the time and I decided to wait until I had time to try it out properly before I did anything with it. 
So last week we set it up but I had trouble trying to register it, which meant that it wouldn't recognise my software etc. I went to the Silhouette site (in America) and used their chat line to try to get help from their advisor. Unfortunately the instructions he gave me didn't help. (It felt he had not understood the problem properly which was probably down to me not explaining it well enough!). As they are eight hours behind Spanish time, I had to leave it until after the weekend, but yesterday I had a free afternoon and I had another go. This time I was connected to a young lady and she was so helpful. She soon had my machine registered and explained several other things I asked about so now I think I am all set up and ready to go. So I am very grateful to a lady called Kadie, who was so patient with me yesterday and so very capable at understanding my needs and dealing with them. Now I am excited to get started with it. Friday is not the right day for me as I have a lunch time commitment and then choir practice, but maybe tomorrow I can have a go.
I am also very grateful to the Silhouette experts who have taken time to make videos available on youtube to help with actually using the machine, inserting the blades correctly, how to load the paper etc. There is a good instruction manual for the software but nothing that I could find on actually using the machine, so these videos have been a great help.
And on that note I will quickly link up to Rocking Your World and Annie's Friday Smiles, before I go off to lunch, and when I get back I will try to do some visiting to see what has made you smile this week.

5 comments:

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

I suspect the weather has to be better where you are though we've been lucky so far as it's not been quite so bad where we are. Loving the photographs and I think you're right kitty needs a hair cut. We had to take Maisie and Stan for a hair cut so they are wearing their fleece jackets at the moment until it grows back a bit. I'm with you on the soft tips on the alcohol markers, I find them much easier to use. Hope you have fun with your new machine too. Sending hugs, Angela xXx

Annie said...

Good luck with shaving Arwen....I bet that's not an easy job. Hope the new machine plays nicely for you and you enjoy your new marker pens.
Hugs,
Annie x

Lisca said...

We have had mixed weather too, but some hours of sunshine every day. Enough to have hot water (we have solar panels) for two showers and the washing up.I too did two wash loads today. I don't do them overnight (our electricity costs the same day or night)but do them in the morning. By the time the first lot is done, the sun has come out and I can hang it out. Like yours, it will be dry by the evening.
Lovely tulips. They must have been quite fresh. They often get flown in from Holland, so might have only been 24 hours old.I knew that trick too and also a penny in the vase, but I'm not sure our coins are made with copper anymore.
Will Morwen let you cut her belly hair? Or do you have to hold her down?
Great that you have got new coloured markers. I brought some over from Holland but have not used them yet. I will actually take you advice and make a colour chart with the numbers.
The cutting machine is a nice new thing to have. Is it much different to the older model? However it is always a learning curve these new things.
Before I forget. You commented on my collages. I have downloaded an app on my ipad called Becky Higgins Project Life. I use it on my iphone and ipad. But I don't know if you can do it on PC. My app was free with all the basic tools you need. It takes me 5 minutes every night to do them. Of course she then sell all sorts of add-ons and different 'kits'. The only thing I have treated myself to is the bit that lets you write on the photos. I thought that would be handy. Most things only cost a few euros. So if you fancy doing something like that, have a go. If Becky Higgins doesn't do PC, I'm sure there will be others.
Have a lovely weekend,
Hugs,
Lisca

kiwimeskreations said...

What a tummy full of fur Arwyn had - I can understand you shaving it! Loving those mountains Kate, what a lovely place to live. Those flowers remind me of Ixia's, which are described and an "exotic member of the iris family."
So glad you were able to get sorted with the Cameo!
Blessings
Maxine

Celtic house said...

Oh that's a fabulous post, yes you are right our weather has been awful this last few weeks, we are desperate to get out for a walk to ease my back being desk bound at work means an walk at weekends is essential but it just hasn't b;een possible recently. I'm hoping we can manage to get out today. I'm glad you got your washing dry, I'm still relying on two main airers to sort mine at the moment which is a bit of a mare if truth be told.

I bet Arwen wasn't impressed with the impromptu shave, but I can imagine it makes life a lot easier for all of you.

I'm very envious of your copic collection I don't do colouring in, but I did buy a couple of copics years ago and loved them, I can't cope with some of the other alcohol markers due to their squeaking on the paper when you use them - shudder. I'm also mighty ;envious of your new; toy, I sometimes think I might treat myself, particularl with the amount of scrapbooking I'm doing again, but I'm always worried I won't get to grips with it etc, however, their customer service sounds like that shouldn't be something I stress about.

I hope you get chance to have a play with your new toy and it proves just as much fun as you are hoping.

Hugs