Friday, June 26, 2020

Rocking Your World 2020: Week 26

How time does fly by, and here's a real reminder of that for me .
0-49 in the blink of an eye!
Yes it only seems like a few years since my first son made his appearance and today he is celebrating almost a half-century. He and his wife are very happy with their move to Sydenham at the end of last year and enjoy being just a short ride away from the city. He is celebrating today with lunch from his favourite takeaway - the famous beigle shop in Brick Lane.

Our week started on Sunday, with what could have been a disaster as the Cabrera mountains were the site of a wild fire. Sitting on our porch we could see a small plume of smoke, that rapidly increased and caused a grey swirl to stretch all along the coast. We soon realised it was getting out of control when we heard the drone of helicopters and other small aircraft that scoop water from nearby reservoirs and drop it on the fire. The sirens of fire engines could be heard in the distance and as darkness fell the flames could be seen from our house. There was one heart stopping moment as it seemed to be dying down and then the flames flared up again, and ran straight down the side of the valley and back up the other side. According to the media, there were 50 firemen and twenty auxiliaries, plus twelve aircraft, all bravely battling against the wind, to get it under control. Military were drafted in with their vehicles to surround Turre in case the wind changed during the night and drove the fire down towards the town. I am filled with admiration for these men working in such scarey conditions. They did a fantastic job and by the early hours of Monday morning they had it all in control. Well done those men - and women of course!
We had exceptional rainfall earlier this year so everything grew very fast as summer approached, and now it is all tinder dry, so some fires are almost inevitable. The local authorities have brought in heavy machinery to clear all debris from the open plots within the villages, as a fire prevention measure.
Here are a few photos taken from our house.

The positive from this is that no-one from the public nor the workers was injured, and it proves what a well trained and hard-working team we have taking care of our community.

I am keen to start taking a short walk each day as I am getting used to sitting around at home and really need some exercise. So I got up a little earlier one morning and walked up through the village and back round on the perimeter road. Sadly my foot, which completely gave out on my previous walk, started to hurt again, and although it is not painful like it was the first time, I am very aware of it every time I stand up, so I won't be walking very much just yet.
While I was out I saw my favourite wild flower out in bloom. Every year this creeper covers the railings that fence off the rambla at the top of the village, and I don't see them anywhere else. They looked so lovely.
They look very pink here but they are actually more mauve. Unlike the white bindweed, these have leaves a bit like the very blue cultivated Morning Glory, that bloomed across the road from us until the fence was taken down and the land built on. I have tried to get them to grow on our back railings, but so far I have had no success. But I have collected a couple of seed heads so I can try again this year.

Next door's garden is getting a bit untidy. The owner has not been able to travel to make her usual Spring visit. She always calls in the workers while she is here, and has it all cleared. Some men did come in and clear part of it, and deepen the trenches around the fruit trees to help with watering them, but left unattended, it soon grows over again. On the area they cleared there is a ground cover weed that has spread very quickly and it too is covered in trumpet flowers, but these are much smaller, and they do have leaves like bind week. I guess they would be considered to be weeds, but I think they look really pretty bobbing around in the breeze, and the bees and other insects love them.
The other thing I noticed on my walk was all the fruit setting on the wild fig trees. It looks as though there will be a good harvest later.

My 'memory' on Facebook from a year ago, showed me the big potted palm we have in the front garden with a new crown of fronds growing from the centre. I wasn't really aware that this is an annual occurrence, but sure enough, there is exactly the same thing this year. The new fronds are soft to touch, but before long they will be hard and very prickly like the rest of the plant. I always try to water it from a distance because if I get too close, the leaf ends stab me through whatever I am wearing!

Our weather has been lovely most days, though it is a bit hotter than I would chose some afternoons, but there had been no rain forecast so I was surprised to wake up one morning to gray skies. I went out the front of the house to look around and on the horizon the sky was a hazy yellow where the sun was trying to burn through, and above that was a layer of grey cloud, and between the two you could see heavy rain falling not too far away.
As I stood there I caught the very edge of it as big warm drops of rain fell, so infrequently you could measure the distance on the ground between where they fell. It never came to anything more, and before long the sun was out.

The next morning it was grey again, and this time I was out the back of the house. We did have a very short shower, just enough to lay the dust, before the sun made it through again. The grey skies didn't deter the little birds though. There were plenty of them around. I think they all have babies in need of regular feeding whatever the weather.

My boys are frequently changing their profile picture on social media but I am very lazy about it so yesterday I decided to change mine and take one with my 'lock-down hair'. Selfies are not something I take very often but I had a go and managed one that I thought I could use. Just then Tango walked passed so I picked him up, but I soon found that taking a selfie while holding a cat was not going to be easy. So I called for backup and Chris came and took one for me. And that is the one I used for my profile.

I am soldiering on with my crochet project but for a little light relief I stopped and made this pair of coasters. I like the Celtic knot pattern and they were quick and easy to do, though a bit fiddly for the finishing off. I have a third one half made that I will go to when I need another break.

And finally I have been shocked by some of the photos on the news and social  media this week, of the careless and anti-social behaviour by a few folk, since lock-down in UK has relaxed. I am very aware that the majority of people are taking the situation seriously and proceeding with caution, but I really hope the reckless few do not ruin things for everyone else.
Throughout the pandemic we have had much stricter rules in Spain and we are expected to abide by them. This 'Royal Decree' was issued this week, and makes it clear that we will not be back to normal until a vaccine is found.

I have to say the masks are not pleasant to wear, especially as temperatures are rising, but with notices like this, you don't risk breaking the rules! And woe betide any visitors who try to as well.
And on that note I will link up with Annie's Friday Smiles and Rocking Your World, and say Good-bye until next week.

9 comments:

Lynn Holland said...

Well what a week. I hope all will be well with you and you all stay safe. The selfie is lovely. Take care
Lynn xx

Karen said...

Wow that wildfire looks so scary! I'm glad no humans were hurt. I love all the flower pictures, and laughed out loud over you trying to take a selfie while holding a cat :) You coasters are really pretty, I love the knot design. We have tourists coming to the oceanfront now, and only half are wearing masks. We are just starting our third phase of more people allowed to get together and I'm afraid of a resurgence. We should have a fine here, but as of yet we don't ~ Stay well & enjoy your weekend!

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Kate, it's lovely to see the different flowers that grow where you are. I have weeds(so called) in the garden but the flowers are so pretty that I let them stay, after all a weed is just a plant in the wrong place. I have a fig tree but no fruit so fsr just lots of leaves. Thanks for the visit to mine and wishing you a lovely weekend. Hugs, Angela xXx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I was by four times this morning, then gave up and mowed. After a shower, I ate, then fell asleep.

The fires are scary, Kate. Your fire brigade did an incredible job. I am very impressed because this looked like it was everywhere in the hills.

I am SO in awe of that palm tree. It is beautiful. Laughed at the selfie you tried to take with your cat. So glad your husband came to your rescue. Those Celtic knots are beautiful. This is already looking beautiful.

I wish we had a decree like that here in the states. Unfortunately, we have a "leader" who refuses to wear a mask, thus setting a really poor example for all. Hope you have a great weekend because I know Friday is in the history books by now.

Annie said...


I’m so glad the fires were quickly put out and no one was hurt Kate....I’m not sure I could have slept with them burning. I love your coasters....what a clever design. Your new profile photo is lovely and your hair doesn’t look as wild as mine. The madness on British beaches is awful. I really hope they don’t undo all the hard work done by so many to contain the virus....I wish they would make mask wearing compulsory here too.
Stay safe.
Hugs,
Annie xxx

kiwimeskreations said...

Wonderful photo assortment this week Kate - that fire looks as though it had the potential to do a lot of damage - so glad to hear it was contained so quickly.
The variety of flowers you have is amazing. Yes, those palms can be very nasty - I had a Phoenix palm once that was not very tall, and it too could impale you and then you had to be careful that it did not get infected!
Loving the coasters - they are so vibrant
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

Lisca said...

I'm glad they have been able to put the fire out quite quickly, and that nobody was hurt. Fires are so scarey. I remember when I lived in Italy, seeing the fires from our window at night and hearing the helicopters flying over. Very worrying.
Yes, time flies. Kids grow up so fast. A belated happy 49th to your son.
I love seeing all the flowers. They brighten up the world even if some are considered weeds.
The photo of you and Tango is gorgeous!
And the celtic know coasters are great. Clever you!
Thanks for the Royal Decree. That is now very clear.
Have a lovely weekend (or what's left of it),
Hugs,
Lisca

Jopez said...

Loving the baby photo and smiling to myself that 49yrs later he's still surrounded by crochet. :)

Celtic house said...

Hello sweetie well that was a busy week, I love to see the flowers and the figs are amazing as I don't think I've seen them growing so didn't know what the plant looked like. I hope your foot gets better soon, I suffer on occasions with plantar fasciatus (probably spelt wrong), which is a painful foot condition and I have to be careful with footwear on walks, trainers and hiking boots are my only solace, anything else can be worn as long as I'm doing no major walking in them if that makes sense. I really should invest in some better looking trainers as my bright blue ones often disagree with the rest of my outfits lol.

I saw your photos of the fires on Facebook, very scary for everyone and what amazing people to get it under control. Hopefully the measures that are taken will minimise the risk to residential areas etc.

I love your new profile photo and lockdown hair really is something else isn't it.

Right I'm going to attempt to post this in various ways, my tablet has automatically come up with commenting as Celtic House (so I'll start with that).