Friday, July 17, 2020

Rocking Your World 2020: Week 29


I am starting my blog this week with a photo of my Grandson, who last week heard he had graduated from Aberystwyth  University with a 2.1 in Accounting and Finance. Clever lad, and we are very proud of him. It was not the end of year he had hoped for, with little chance to say 'Goodbye' to all his friends, and no graduation ceremony. But he also won an award for his contribution to university life, both playing for and also as chair of the Uni football team, and playing in the first team for the chess club. I hope the future holds something good for him now.

Our week has been a mixture of sad and happy, at least for our Spanish neighbours, because yesterday was our Fiesta Patronal, i.e. the Fiesta de la Virgen Maira del Carmen. Here she is on her plinth at the entrance to the village church.
Normally, as regular followers of my ramblings will know, this means four days of 24 hour celebrations, with music and dancing, a fairground, lots of market stalls, extra bars on the plazas and of course food, food and more food! However, with the pandemic still very much in evidence, none of this was possible. It is a very important event for the local people, and for some of them it represents their only holiday.
But our new Mayor, voted in at last year's elections, is very good, and he has done all he can to make it a special few days, particularly yesterday which was the actual Saint's day. He made sure the Town Hall was looking festive and encouraged everyone to decorate their porches,windows and verandas.

Above is the Town Hall and this is a small selection of the decorated houses.

The highlight of the fiesta is the mass for the Virgen del Carmen and they decided to go ahead with that as it was possible to control the crowding. We were warned it was soon to start by the usual volley of rockets that make a very large noise and sound like a set of guns being fired. You can hear a whoosh as they shoot up, then you see a flare followed by a boom, and then little puffs of white smoke. The dogs in the village all start barking when they go off. Kim doesn't seem too bothered by them but we let Foxy in to hide behind the settee before we went out.
When we arrived up at the church we found the patio beside it was set out with neatly spaced rows of seats. We were directed to the local police who were spraying everyone's hands with sanitiser, and asked to take a seat.  I walked around the corner for a better view because this plaza has sections set off at each side, and all sections were similarly laid out, with a shaded place in the centre where an altar was set up. The statue of Maria del Carmen was to the side of it, and the choir was in the back left corner and the band on the right. It was fairly early so there were still plenty of seats.
I went back round to sit near Chris, and before long all the seats were filled, and there were police officers to make sure no-one was loitering by a wall. A few late-comers were allowed to stand at the back barrier, well spaced out of course. Everyone except the priest and choir had masks on. These are now compulsory in all public spaces, both indoors and outside.
After the mass, Chris and I walked to a local bar. We didn't feel confident to go inside, but as there was an empty table outside, we stopped for one drink before going home. I had my first Tinto de verano of the year (summer wine, basically red wine with lemonade, and sometimes fruit juice) which was lovely. While we sat there, there were some more explosions and a shower of coloured stars lit up the now dark sky. It is very unusual to see proper coloured fireworks here. They were fairly basic ones, but it was a nice way to end the fiesta day.

I have a 'ta-da' moment to share with you as I finished my latest crochet project using the grey and green yarn I showed a few weeks ago. As you can see it is a shoulder bag, with an embossed crochet design on it. The pattern was called Meadow  bag.
It was quite difficult as I have never done anything using this technique before, but you know me; I like a challenge. It was awkward to hold with my not very efficient hands, and it certainly isn't perfect, but I am glad I finished it and have something fit for use. The twisted chord handle was a real challenge and I had to undo it several times before I suddenly got the idea. Then it was just a bit of a chore to need such a long piece of it. But I rather like the result.
Of course, for me, the biggest challenge was then lining it and adding a zip. Sewing does not come naturally to me, and I incurred a few injuries along the way, including this bruise on my middle finger! I have so little feeling in my fingers that holding a thread is hard, let alone trying to get it through the eye of a needle. It is a good thing I have a stubborn streak or it might have gone out the window!
While my machine was out, I decided to tackle a few other sewing jobs that have been waiting for me to get inspired. Here I am trying to use the material from two identical, very cheap dresses from the Todo shop, to make one new dress using one of my favourite sun dresses as a pattern. I bet Annie could have done it in half a day, but this is my third day and it still isn't finished. As you can see I am an untidy worker, and let's say I am easily distracted. But I will get it done, maybe tomorrow!

I have also spent some time in my craft room this week. Since I lost Arwen, Tango has started to wander down here and spend time with me. Arwen never made visitors feel welcome! I had lifted a big box of papers out of one of my units, and Tango spotted the gap and was straight in there. Since then he has been here quite often and he always goes straight for the gap, so I haven't had the heart to put the box of papers back yet. When he is not in there, he lays out on the base of my floor fan. I think he likes the vibrations.

And finally, here are a couple of sky photos taken earlier this week. We had a one or two  overcast days so there was a bit of cloud around at nightfall. I saw this circular formation through the kitchen window and went out for a better look.
At first I thought it was like hands forming a circle with the fingers, but as it started to move I clearly saw an animal face, with eyes and a pointy nose, and two flying back ears. Can you see him? 
I am always seeing faces in clouds, rock formations and food, in fact almost anywhere. Often the people I am with can't see them at all. I am sure they think I am mad! So I was very interested to read an article this week that said it is a normal condition that has a name. It is Pareidolia. It means 'seeing patterns, often faces, in randomness!' Apparently it used to be considered a form of psychosis, but now they know that many people do it, and it is a way for the brain to make sense in a mass of random stimuli, by linking them to something familiar. So I am not so mad after all. That's nice to know!
So now I will link up with Annie's Friday Smiles, and Rocking Your World. Stay safe everyone. We are seeing a worrying number of new, small outbreaks of the virus in Spain, mainly to the north of the country, and I know the government are keeping a close eye on the situation, and warned they will not hesitate to lock us down again if it get worse, and UK seems to be going the same way.

5 comments:

Karen said...

Hello! I share your psychosis and it started as a little girl seeing faces in my flowered wall paper in my bedroom ~ I love the fact that you left the "gap" for tango ~ So sweet! Your purse is beautiful and I bet the service was as well. Blessings to you!

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Kate. It looks like you've had a busy week. Loving the bag especially. Happy to see your grandson doing so well. Before I forget, the bin on my table was dog fur, just finished giving them a hair cut. Have a lovely weekend. Hugs, Angela xXx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

That must have been a bit of a let down about the fiesta, but at least you were able to see some of the lovely porches and homes that were decorated to celebrate the saint.

Sorry about your hand. I can't sew a thing, except paper to paper and don't think I've sewn a single straight line in my life. I applaud your efforts. I also like your purse. That is ONE huge accomplishment.

Tango looks so cute in the paper cubby. And I learned a new word today, Pareidolia, too. Sorry I'm so late visiting. It was a bad day in my world. Hope your weekend is super.

kiwimeskreations said...

What a handsome Grandson you have there Kate, and well done for his achievements!
How lovely to be able to attend the mass and then have a drink on the way home - life is certainly uncertain at the moment!
Love your bag, but ouch to the bruise on your finger :(. I hope the frock eventually gets made - we can't rush these things.
I don't 'see' things in the clouds etc... hoe boring I am :)
Tango is such a typical cat - they are so fast to see a space like that and then 'own' it.
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

Celtic house said...

Oh a fab post I've just asked Lisca on her blog if face masks are compulsory outdoors in Spain but you've answered the question for me. The festival mass looks very organised the uk seems to be not having such stringent measures and so cases are rising. Our Covid tests were negative but me and hubby think the antibody test would have been a better test to have. Well done to your grandson unfortunately all the academic years have been just weird this year. I hope you've managed to finish your dress, I have to be in the mood for sewing. I can see the animal in the clouds as I am a fellow cloud spotter. And I love the fact that tango has found a new pog. I hope you've has a great day xxx ps comment arrived safe and sound xxxx