Friday, September 18, 2020

Rocking Your World 2020: Week 38

Here we are again and for once I am smiling in the rain. We had been promised a big tropical storm over much of Spain, but luckily we seem to be right on the edge. We woke up around 6.00am to the sound of steady rainfall - enough to actually soak into the ground, not just run off, so it is doing some good, without being heavy enough to cause local flooding. This morning you could smell damp earth, and everything felt fresh and renewed. It has now settled into a steady drizzle which is fine. I am sure the agricultural workers around here are all doing a happy dance! And it has stayed comfortably warm so I am still in a light summer dress for now.

The insects seem to be affected by the cooler weather and have started looking for a winter home. Others only live for a season. Someone on the wild-life in Southern Spain page that I follow said that the large grasshoppers seem to be committing kamikaze in their pool, and sure enough, the next day Chris fished one out of our pool. It had been there all night so it was too late to save it, but then he fished out two more visitors who did live to see another day. 

This is the first one. Not the prettiest of bugs but it is quite harmless. I wonder if you know what it is.

Well it is in fact a common field cricket. I had no idea. It is not at all how I pictured a cricket would look. Just at nightfall, the cicadas stop singing and the crickets start. They have a much gentler sound and I like to hear them.
Next to arrive in the net was this pretty one.
I had to look it up on google but soon had it identified as a tiger moth. Isn't it lovely? We had another one the next day, (or else the same one came back for another go at swimming!).

I haven't done a lot of baking during the hot weather, but I saw a recipe this week that I wanted to try. Chris enjoys a fruit cake and I have made boiled fruit cakes many times, but never one that starts with a can of crushed pineapple. Crushed pineapple isn't something we usually see in the shops out here, but I had some pineapple slices so I 'crushed' them in the food processor. I only used half of all the ingredients as we don't eat a lot of cake, but it did turn out really well. You can't taste the pineapple, but it made a lovely moist cake. As you can see, we had to try it out.

Young Tolly continues to thrive. He is almost as big as our ten year old campo cat Luna. He eats well, plays hard, and then just keels over and sleeps. Often he sleeps at full stretch. Just look at that long body and long legs.

On Tuesday evening Chris suggested having a late evening stroll with the dogs. We knew it would be pretty quiet on a Tuesday night, and the dogs were excited to get an unexpected walk. When we had been around the houses a bit, we stopped at a bar that had several empty tables outside. Chris went in to order drinks and I sat outside with the dogs. When the girl brought our drinks out, she made a fuss of the dogs which Kim enjoys and Foxy puts up with so as not to feel left out, and then she fetched them a container of water which they made short work of. After that they laid down and behaved really well, even though a couple further away had a small lap dog with them, which would usually have got them very excited.

And now for the big reveal. I can show you what the neutral yarn and all those beads were for. I joined in with the current craze for making pocket scarves. This is the Boho Beaded pocket scarf by Tracy Collins. I love all the different textures and stitches, and it is aran weight wool so it will be lovely and warm around my shoulders, when I am on my computer this winter. My computer desk is next to an ill-fitting and draughty window! It is only just long enough, and if I ever made another, I would start with a longer chain or work it the other way so I could decide the length as I went along. But it was something different for me to make and I am pleased with it.

And finally I have been doing some bird-watching. These first two are not good photos as I took them through the fly-screen. If I had gone out they would have all flown away. From where I was sitting I could see an old almond tree and it was absolutely heaving with sparrows. I am sure you can see quite a few of them, despite the netting.
The tree is in a gap between our shed and the house next door, and the birds were constantly flying from the tree to the roof top and back.
Under many of those upturned roof tiles there is a small ventilation hole, and all summer the sparrows nest in them. We sit and watch them feeding their young, and listen to them calling for more. But I think most of the babies have gone now.

This morning we went out of the front door so see the effects of last night's rain, and just above us there is a criss-cross of telegraph and electricity cables. Today they were lined in  every direction with young swallows.

I went out for a better look and they stretched as far as the eye could see.
More were joining them all the time. I enlarged a fragment from the cropped edge of this one, and you can just see the next flock arriving.
Perhaps they were meeting up to discuss their travel plans! Very soon now they will be off to S.Africa for the Winter. A sure sign that summer has ended.

And on that note I will link up with Annie's Friday Smiles and Rocking Your World. Have a good week everyone.







6 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Kate, I again sincerely apologize for not visiting last week. There was NO way I could get back online and make up for all the days I'd lost, especially since I had so many posts scheduled.

I knew that was a cricket, because I get them in my basement at this time of year. I have no idea how they get in, but they do and I can hear them chirping because the basement is usually quite dark. I'd never heard of the moth, though.

That's a lovely shawl, but because I'm not up on the yarn world, I would never have guessed.

Tolly looks really relaxed.

It's good you have well trained dogs. The idea of taking them to a restaurant, even one outdoors, is amazing. No way they would be allowed in the eating area in the states unless they were service dogs.

Have a great Friday and weekend, too.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Kate, interesting insect collection you have there. The cake looks scrummy. Tolly and the dogs are looking well and the shawl is gorgeous no wonder you are so pleased with it. Lets hope some of the swallows know where they need to go, it's quite amazing how they find their way. Hope your weekend is a happy and safe one. Hugs, Angela xXx

Lisca said...

I took photos of the swallows on our powerlines too. They are gathering everywhere (but it's not in my post as I do mine at midnight). As you say, it indicates the end of summer.
Here the rain didn't start until after 10 a.m., so I was able to go for my morning walk. But then it really rained very hard until about 3 p.m. and then the sun came out again.
Your cake looks really lovely. I've never used crushed pineapple in a cake, but I imagine it's very nice.
I think I'll do a Bara Brith next week (If I remember to soak the raisins)
Your dogs are very good, lying quietly under the table and not barking at the little dog.
I had a field cricket in the house yesterday. I managed to coax him back into the field. The tiger moth is beautiful. I didn't know there was such a thing. I only know Tiger Moth as an aeroplane (a De Haviland Biplane).
Have a lovely weekend,
Keep smiling,
Lisca

kiwimeskreations said...

What a wonderful week you have had - the rain sounds as though it was much needed, and great that it was gentle enough to soak in.
The cricket I recognized immediately - we are very familiar with them here, and they never get taken outside, they are very destructive, so if the cat doesn't see them and eat them, I get rid of them!
The tiger moth is gorgeous, as is your scarf - what a wonderful result.
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

Annie said...

I'm late, I'm late..... Sorry. Life just got it the way of commenting...it's all birthdays this weekend. I love the sound of the cake....my mum used to make boiled fruit cakes and they were really yummy. I love the photos of the birds on the line....when we were looking after Theo on Tuesday there were easily 30-40 housemartins/swallows all getting ready for the off on and off their house roof...I'm wondering if they will still be there this week when we go?
Hugs,
Annie x

Celtic house said...

Ah the sparrows are awesome aren't they, your scarf is fantastic I haven't seen one like it before, I'm glad you managed to rescue a few creatures out of your pool and a late evening walk with a drink sounds fabulous hope you are having a grand week