Friday, January 22, 2021

Rocking Your World 2021: Week 4

Well we have all survived another week, and it has been a very pleasant week here. We have had plenty of sunshine, though the days are short and the evenings chilly, but I have been grateful for the times we have been able to sit out on the porch, even eating our lunch out there on some occasions. The sun isn't guaranteed, and yesterday was grey though the promised rain didn't come. Today it is blowing a gale that nearly swept me off my feet when I went out to feed the dogs. The government have issued warning of coastal danger with 3 metre high waves. I'd love to observe it - from a safe distance of course,(I have great respect for the power of the sea), but we are still confined to the village.

One thing that has made me smile is our furry friends. They seem to play musical chairs - or beds - and keep moving around. The dogs beds are on the patio behind our chairs and when I turned round on Wednesday I found Tolly had taken over Foxy's bed, and Foxy was sitting in the corner, apparently unwilling to claim it back. At least she was sitting in a ray of sunshine.
A few minutes later when I look, Foxy had moved to Kim's big bed, and Kim was laying on the tiles between them, but he would certainly have claimed his back if he wanted to lie on it!

Another thing that makes me smile is our little lemon tree. 90% of our land is tiled so we have few places to grow anything in the ground, but right outside my kitchen door there is a small square where a different tree had once stood, and a few years ago we bought a tiny lemon tree to plant there. It flourished and is now well established. I see it every day as I feed the dogs just under it. Yesterday I noticed there were new buds and the odd blossom on it. It always fascinates me as it is the only tree I know that can have buds, blossom, baby fruit, developing fruit, and ripe mature fruit on it all at the same time. Here is a collage of photos I took all on the same day, to show you what I mean.
I have kept myself busy this week in my craft room and am very happy to say that I have finally finished clearing my desk. I now have doubled my working space which is wonderful.
It may not look very cleared, but believe me it is a huge improvement. The green basket on the left, was full and overflowing with stamps and dies that needed to be sorted and filed away. Some had never been used, and others had, but had not been put away. It was a mammoth job and I am determined to clear up after each project is finished this year. That's the plan anyway!
The green basket is now empty, and propped up against the wall so I don't start filling it up again. So here's a quick tour of the rest of my room. 
Up above my desk is the little shelf where I keep a few essentials ready to hand, and I also use it put projects on to dry etc. Above it I still have the old mirror that I decorated and the lovely card that my sister made for my birthday last year.
If I swivel my chair a quarter turn I see the rest of my desk space where my two most important pieces of kit live - that's my big shot die cutting machine and my Silhouette Cameo electronic cutter.
Another quarter turn and I am sitting at  my computer desk. It is very handy to have an office chair that lets me roll between these three spaces without getting up! Above the computer is my notice board with the recently made calendar that helps me plan holidays etc. with the boys when they ring me. And to the left of the computer are my two stacked printers. The lower one is an A4 black ink laser printer, and the big one above it is a flatbed injet colour printer that allows me to print my 12"x 12" album pages.
The rest of the room is shelves of boxes that house all my stash. As you can see I am really quite organised in there, and I like a tidy space to work in, so I am very happy to have sorted the desk area out. Since it was done I have finished two projects but they are not anything I can share yet.


And that is about it for this week. The days pass so quickly. I have managed to do lots of washing and dried it all outside which is always a blessing. 
I have had long phone calls and video calls with the boys, and with my sister, which is uplifting for both sides.
I have read two books on my Kindle while relaxing outside, or in bed. And the evenings have been spent watching TV - some good and some very bad! - while doing my crochet, and feeling cosy in front of the fire

The number of virus cases in our village is falling again and that makes me very happy. The Town Hall have authorised the lorries to drive round in the night, disinfecting all the streets and bin areas, and constantly issue messages of encouragement on Facebook, ending with 'together we will get through this'. It is good to be part of such a caring community.

So I will leave you with two sky photos. Neither were very dramatic, but both were so pretty. Then I will link up with Rocking Your World and Annie's Friday Smiles, and go and see whether Chris is wondering whether there will be any dinner today!








7 comments:

Annie said...

I've enjoyed looking round your creative space today Kate. You look very organised...I enjoy having a clear space to be creative in and, when I have customers I have to of course keep my sewing room tidy [It's not so tidy at the mo cos no one will see it of course].
Stay safe and well my friend.
Hugs,
Annie x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

I absolutely love the Very Useful Boxes and have quite a few myself. I like to be tidy and organised but it doesn't happen too often as I get started on one project and then think of something else and the whole place quickly becomes a mess again. The animals look very contented and it was lovely to see your lemon tree too which reminds me that you mentioned the Bonsai. These trees have to stay outside and if you think about it parts of Japan in the winter are very cold. There are trees which have been grown as Bonsai which can be kept in the house but they are not easy to look after and not native to the UK. The biggest problem are the pots but I only buy the ones that are specifically for Bonsai as the clay is much stronger. Hope that helps. Stay safe and have a lovely weekend, Angela xXx

Virginia said...

I'm glad to hear the number of cases is decreasing, definitely a positive. I love your lemon tree how beautiful it is with all its amazing fruit. The sky photos are fabulous as always. I'm glad you've managed to keep ticking along OK during these strange times, your craft area looks fantastic, I must admit to working on a smaller and smaller space on my craft desk currently as I try to finish a mini book that I'm designing. I hope you have a beautiful and blessed weekend and week ahead and hope your weather continues to brighten your day, we are still short days, grey skies etc at the moment.

Hugs

Lisca said...

It must be such a fantastic feeling having cleared your desk and put everything away. You are indeed very organized.
So lovely to see your fur babies bedhopping. Surprisingly without a fight...
Your lemon tree is amazing. Are you actually eating the lemons from your tree?
Our village is not closed, but Baza, our nearest town is, so we can't go shopping in Baza where the supermarkets are. We have seen all our friends this week, so the coming week will be spent at home a lot I suppose.
Have a lovely weekend,
Hugs,
Lisca

kiwimeskreations said...

Your life sounds like mine - a quiet, contented 'ordinary-ness' that gives a sense of stability.
Love how your animals play 'musical beds' - with just one pet, he pretty much has the place to himself - although I would have turfed him off my chair had I wanted it today.
Glad to hear your (covid) numbers are going down again - always a worry when they head up.
I am now having to keep my crafting area much tidier as my desk is in full view of anyone visiting here in the rental... good training as I suspect my desk in the extension at my DD's will also be 'on view'.
Love your sunset photos.
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

You are so lucky to have a lemon tree. They would die with the first hard freeze here. I always get a kick out of seeing your adorable pets. They can be so funny at times.

I am in awe of your boxes. You truly ARE organized. I'd love to have a few of those, but I've learned to make due with what I have. You certainly have a ton of mixed media goodies, and I had NO idea you did much other than scrapbooking.

Sorry I'm so late visiting. As I said in my post, I'm running so far behind, I may never catch up. I hope you have a lovely weekend and week. Your sky shots are always stunning.

LesleyG said...

Enjoyed catching up with you today Kate, lovely pics, stay safe xxx