Friday, July 23, 2021

Rocking Your World 2021: Week 30

I can't believe it is week 30 already. We'll be on the countdown to Christmas soon! 

It has been a mixed week of highs and lows, but today we will concentrate on the highs.

I'll start with this picture of my lovely great-grandson Alfie. He is only 6½ and he has just won his 100 metre award in swimming. It always pleases me to see them learning how to handle themselves in water. He looks very proud of his acheivement.


Last week Thursday through to Sunday was our village fiesta. It was very low key this year with none of the street bars or market stalls that we usually have, but there was a small funfair and several activities arranged for the youngsters.

With it being so hot, we mainly stayed at home under a fan, but we did venture out on Friday night for the patronal mass. This is to celebrate our patron saint 'Virgen del Carmen'. The mass takes place on the main plaza in the early evening, and although we don't actually join in we do sit at the back and follow as much as we can.

The start and end of each fiesta event is marked with the letting off of firecrackers, or large rockets. Sometimes you can hear the 'swoosh' as they go up, and you wait, holding your breath, for the bright burst of fire and then a deafening noise, leaving little puffs of dark smoke where they were. Sometimes a whole volley of them are launched together and the noise is horrendous. Then just as you give a sigh of relief, another volley goes off. We have always thought this highly unnecessary, and every year there are complaints on Facebook, but it is a tradition that they seem unwilling to relinquish. Of course it starts all the dogs in the village barking, or hiding in fear. Kim is not too fazed by them though he did bark at them this year, but at the first sound, Foxy runs inside and hides behind a chair, and stays there all day if we let her!

The statue was put in place beside a temporary altar, and instead of the usual offering of flowers from everyone during the service, some people had added bunches around the plinth earlier, and also after the mass. Normally once the mass has ended we go off to see friends or have a drink at a bar, but this year, while Chris went to our local bar, I decided to follow the procession back up to the church at the top of the village, so this week I will share that with you.

The local choir sang several rousing songs during the mass and the music group played while the folk around us went up to receive the bread from the priest.

They then led the procession to take the statue back to the church. The 'trono' she is on is very heavy and four strong men carry it on poles on their shoulders. One person, this time the priest's assistant, has the job of making sure the bearers keep the rhythm of their side to side steps in sync, and he frequently knocks on the trono surface to tell them to stop. Four young lads were enlisted to carry stout poles with a hook on them which are used to support the trono while the bearers rest. The procession winds around some side streets and then up our road which is the main route up to the church.

 

The band kept up a slow steady beat on their drums, and sometimes broke into music. 

This all took a long time and it was getting dark as we neared the top of the village. There are some tricky corners to navigate here, and the men were getting tired. I was quite worried about one of the bearers who was elderly and his steps began to falter. On one stop he changed sides with the other man at the back so he took the weight on his other shoulder. It is seen as a great honour to be a bearer, and he was obviously not going to relinquish it. One of the men at the front occasionally let a member of the crowd take over for a while, but he stayed close by and helped them to keep in step.

Near the top of the village we reached the Town Hall and I was surprised when they slowly turned and walked her up to the main doors. Here they lifted her up as the upstairs windows opened and the Mayor and his helpers came out and showered her with rose petals as the crowd answered his shouts of "Viva  la Virgen del Carmen! Viva Los Gallardos!"

Then amidst lots of shouting and cheering they turned around and continued up to the church. I can't describe the noise, of people laughing and talking, the band playing a rousing number and suddenly the church bells pealing out their notes (which are deafening anyway).  As we turned into the patio in front of the church, the band moved to the side and the statue was taken up to the door, turned around to be presented to the people, and then lowered onto a table quickly brought from the church for the purpose. 

At that precise moments the fireworks started. It is the first time I have seen pretty, colourful fireworks since we came here. I have always assumed they are not encouraged because of the ever constant fear of fire, but obviously the fiesta is an exception. They were really nice and as they went off the bells continued to clang until one really loud explosion signalled the end, and we all made our way back down to the village.



I hope you have enjoyed sharing this little part of our celebrations with me. It is the first time I have  followed it so I know I haven't shared it before. I have added some photos along the way and I hope you can see some of the things I have mentioned. I am going to try to add a little video to finish. It is less than a minute long, but will give you a feel of what it was like. I hope you are able to play it.


Since then it has been too hot to do much at all. Chris did manage to dismantle the shed and on Wednesday night I helped him take all the panels, and other large rubbish out to lay beside our bin. Early the next morning we heard the crane lorry come to take it all away. It is such a useful scheme for disposing of larger items. So now we can plan what to do with the space, but we are in no rush. I expect it will wait for slightly cooler days.

We did have the 40º promised again on Monday and the same is forecast for tomorrow (43º). So another day indoors with the aircon on I guess. The rest of the week is showing 29º-36º, so that is pretty warm too!

I spent a couple of mornings in my craft room as it is at its coolest then, and I have a ceiling fan as well as a floor standing one which help. I managed to make a set of nine Christmas cards but they are for a challenge at the weekend so I can't show them here yet.

I have had a few late night swims to cool down before going to bed. We cool the bedroom down with the aircon for an hour, and then just leave a ceiling fan on all night, so if I start off cool, with a cool room, I usually manage to fall asleep OK.

Here are my additions for the Tropical Coast blanket. This week we were given the pattern for three small squares representing a cut open coconut, a shell and sparkling sea, and we needed to make four of each. I have done one of each, and all four of the blue ones, so now I am going to tackle the other three shells. I am not sure I will finish the coconuts as well, as it is too warm even in the evenings, to do very much. 

The designer didn't give is a picture board for this little squares so I made one of my own using her squares from the pattern.

And with that I will link up with Annie's Friday Smiles and Rocking Your World.


7 comments:

Lisca said...

Thank you for taking me along with the procession. It reminded me a lot of Italy where I used to follow the procession with all the other women. Here in Caniles we just hear the fireworks (in day light, how silly).
Your crochet squares are gorgeous. It is clear what they are when you mention it. It will be a very interesting quilt.
Have a lovely weekend,
Hugs,
Lisca

Virginia said...

Morning hun, you are early, I didn't get mine done yesterday unfortunately, just posted this morning although mine has been very very quiet and very devoid of photos.

thank you for sharing the video - it is brilliant and really emphasised how noisy it was. I remember being part of the may procession as a child where a group of individuals carried the virgin Mary and we had a May Queen, train bearers and flower girls, I was one of the flower girls and it was only a few weeks before our first holy communion, its amazing what memories things spark.

Your crochet is as always beautiful and your mood board to match are absolutely perfect.

I hope you have a lovely weekend and week ahead

Hugs

Annie said...

What a lovely post Kate. We have enjoyed many Spanish carnivals when on holiday and I really enjoy joining in with yours. Your crochet squares are gorgeous.
Hugs,
Annie x

kiwimeskreations said...

Alfie looks so proud of himself, and so he should be, and great accomplishment!
Your final day of fiesta looks to have been quite a day - what a noise with the bells and fireworks!
Loving your completed crochet squares Kate - they are gorgeous.
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Your great grandson can be proud of himself. I believe every child needs to learn to swim so they can protect themselves in the event they are thrown into a pool or a running stream. I was a certified lifeguard for several years and there is nothing more satisfying than teaching the really young children to swim. The younger they are, the less they are afraid of the water.

I was unfamiliar with this festival and I really enjoyed both the photos you shared and the video. It put the festival into perspective for me. The noise was definitely deafening.

Those crocheted squares are beautiful. They are going to be great by the time you are finished. I hope your weekend is great, too.

Lisca said...

How strange that you can't post a comment on my blog. Thank you for sending it to me, and as you probably have seen, I have posted it.
If you are trying on your tablet, try again on the PC computer if you have one. I always have trouble using my tablet and do all my blogging on my PC.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

That was strange, I tried to reach you earlier but the post didn't seem to be here. The festival looks like fun and it's good to see so many people still wearing masks. Loved watching the fireworks and seeing your lovely crochet too. Thanks for the comment over at mine and yes the filter has an Ultra-Violet light too but you can't see it from those photographs. Have a lovely weekend. Hugs, Angela xXx