Friday, November 26, 2021

Rocking Your World 2021: Week 48

Well there is not much to write about except the weather and glorious skies, but it is Friday again so here goes.

One thing is for sure, last weekend was wet, wet, wet. Fortunately it stopped just short of causing serious flooding, though some cars were washed away etc. My son laughs at me when I talk about the rain but he (and you my friends in UK) are used to it. For us it is novelty, and one that soon wears thin!

It rained all day Saturday and got heavier all night. Once again we could here the water spouts pouring from each corner of the roof. It continued on Sunday so after lunch we had a little local drive round to see if everyone had the same as us. The weather here is often very localised. 

As we drove the back road to Turre and approached the bridge over what is usually a dry rambla, we could see there was a river flowing along it.

We have only seen this with any significant water in it, a couple of times before, so there had obviously been some pretty heavy rain up in the mountains that was flowing down it to the sea.

We left Turre on the main road which passes over the rambla much further along, and here it was a wide, and muddy river. 

Some fields along the road were under water. Not much of this stretch is cultivated so there was no real damage done, and I am sure the trees loved it. (Sorry the photos are not very crisp. They were all taken from a moving car).

On the way back home we drove over the rambla that goes around our village, normally a gravel path that folks like to walk their dogs along, and it is also car access to some of the isolated homes up on the campo. But on Sunday that too had water flowing along it. We have only been aware of this once before since we came here, and that was in the devastating storms and floods of 2012.

Despite two days of steady rain, there was a small attempt at a sunset on Sunday night, peeping out from under the storm clouds.

Since then we have had some showers and a fair bit of sunshine at least for part of the day, but there is a wind coming down from the north that can be very cold. We have managed to sit out in the porch around midday several days as it is fairly sheltered from the wind, but the sun is lower now and soon the corner of the roof puts the porch in shade, and it is time to move inside. 

We have been glad of our new fire, which has been lit each evening.

Now, one week on, the results of the rain can be seen in the new vegetation everywhere. You have probably seen in many of my sky photos, there is a 'lacy' tree that I like to catch as a silhouette. Sadly it won't been there any more, as the rain has beaten it down. It was growing into the side of the slope down into the green zone, behind my neighbours garden, and its roots were not deep enough to hold it there, so it is now lying at right angles to the slope, and I suspect one more heavy rainfall will bring it right down. But look at how green the green zone is right now.

At least the bright sky and wind dried a line of washing for me on Tuesday. I was grateful for that as I usually wash at the weekend and that couldn't happen this week. I have to try and dry everything outside, as I have nowhere suitable to hang it indoors, and no longer have a tumble drier. So I was grateful for that.

I had a long chat with Ben one evening. He has been a bit rough with some virus, but fortunately it wasn't Covid. He has worked for the railway around 16 years now, and this is the first time he has taken a week off sick, so he was annoyed to have broken that record. He was fed up being at home on his own so we had a good long chat to pass the evening for him.

I have managed to do a bit of crafting. I made a few more Christmas cards. I have actually written all the ones for UK and posted them in a parcel to my sister who will post them on for me next month. But I need a few more for friends over here, so I made some, and then prepared the first one of some decorations I want to get made. I am just waiting for some special adhesives to come from Amazon, tomorrow hopefully, so I can assemble it.

The off and on weather had given a few spectacular skies in the evenings, and I can't help but see faces in them. Here are two examples.



No face this time, (well maybe; maybe not), but I just love the way this one turned out.

Last night there was bright streak of light along a cloud as I went out to feed the dogs.

I just knew it was going to turn from gold to red soon, but the clouds were gathering and it was quite an ominous sky. The light was fading but a pink started showing at each wave of cloud.  Suddenly I saw this 'cat trying to catch a fish'. I took several shots using slightly different effects and settings on the camera and here are the best ones. My husband Chris gave a reluctant grunt of agreement when I asked him if he could see the image, so I wonder whether you can too.

And with that I will go over to link up with Annie's Friday Smiles.

7 comments:

Annie said...

Well as you will know I can see the cat catching the fish 😀😀 you have made me chuckle today....you’ve married my son off to Lisa....I’m not sure Gina would be too pleased hehehe.
Hugs,
Annie x

Lisca said...

Yes, we have had quite a nice bit of rain too. Luckily we are to elevated to suffer from flooding.
At the moment it is very cold. There is a very cold wind, as you say it comes from the north and is brrr cold.
When our friends come we usually eat on the terrace, but not this week. It was too cold.
I'm afraid I don't see the images. No face in the sky or a cat in the clouds. But the colour of the sky is beautiful.
Have a lovely weekend,
Hugs,
Lisca

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Sorry Kate, but I have trouble seeing faces in clouds. Apparently I have no imagination. But your sky shots are wonderful.

You have had a TON of rain. Impressive photos of how those "rivers" are running. Just glad you are safe and the green zone behind you cheers you. Hope your weekend is going well, too.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

I'm back now from teaching the card class to some friends. Teaching children was easier, they were better behaved! Your weather is interesting, we haven't had rain here in Lincoln for at least three weeks though we don't get as much here as other parts of the country. Take care and have a lovely weekend. Hugs, Angela xXx

kiwimeskreations said...

I'm not usually able to see things in the clouds, Kate, but you certainly have had some spectacular formations of late!!
That looks as though it was quite a rainfall last weekend - as you are cooling down, we are warming up, finally, and have had a week with no rain!!
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

Celtic house said...

I can definitely see the cat catching the fish in those last photos - that's amazing! Loving the sky shots as always and what a shame about the lacey tree not surviving the weather. It is amazing how green the green space goes after you've had rain in Spain, we have woken (unexpectedly) to snow this morning after storm Arwen decided to pay the UK a visit, it had forecast sleet, I wasn't prepared for the 3 to 4 inches that have arrived if truth be told and said 21 year old's fiancee is trying to work out how she is going to get to work, given how rubbish our estate is when snow is due, however,I've just informed them that the snow is now rain, so it may not last very long and should at least be slushy. I hope you have a lovely weekend.

xxx

Elizabeth said...

Hi Kate, lovely post. I can see why, given where you live, you find rain such a talking point. Up here in the West of Scotland we're used to rain - it's a fact of life. Though it's always alarming when it's so heavy it causes flooding as it has in the rambla in your photos. Your sky photos are fabulous, especially the pink/red ones. Hope your weekend is a dry, even a sunny one. Elizabeth x