Friday, August 5, 2022

Friday Smiles 2022: Week 31

This week has flown past. It was our son Tom's last week with us but it was too hot to venture far from home. But there was still plenty to smile about. He helped us with a few little tasks in the yard and did some shopping for me, and most afternoons he took himself off to the beach for a swim in the sea and a spot of sun bathing. Some days he had a meal with us before he went out, and others he cooked for himself when he got back. It was good to see our big barbeque getting some use. We don't often light it up just for us two.

In the evenings we usually sat in the porch with citronela candles to keep away the bugs that were small enough to get through the netting, gentle music on one of our devices and several stops to dip in the pool. I even went in it at 2.30 one morning (I know I should have been in bed!), and the water was still 30ยบ. We made a big jug of sangria, and Tom and Chris enjoyed a good few bottles of wine. It is way too expensive to buy regularly in Denmark, where he lives, so Tom like to take advantage of our cheap, but apparently good wines when he comes here. I really don't like wine so I can't comment on how nice it is, but they enjoyed it. 

Mid-week Tom went to the recycling bins with me as we had a lot of empty bottles and soda cans to get rid of!

On Monday night we wandered into town late evening to check out a free concert of music on the plaza. There was a very good turn out, even though it didn't start until 10.00. We manage to find a bench on the edge of the plaza as all the seats were filled when we arrived, but we only stayed for an hour. The music was very good though not really our style, and it was still so hot and sticky. So it was back home and a last dip in the pool before bed. In fact we could hear the rest of the concert from our garden almost as well as we could when we were over there.

A few weeks ago I finally edited and cut down to size, all the family portraits I took when I was in UK, ready to update my family clock. It still took me ages to get around to actually doing anything with them. Each photo is just 10cm (4") square and the frames are very light wood with acrylic instead of glass on the front. I knew I would be taking them down regularly to change them, so they needed to be light and easily fixed. These are light weight enough to stay up with just blue-tak, but it was old and getting a bit messy so I went to a little shop in the village and was pleased to find they has small packs of white-tak. So now the photos are up to date, and their fixings are clean and tidy, and my clock is looking good again. I even managed to photoshop our newest great-grandson Reuben into his family group, and made a space for our two step grand-sons who weren't up there before.

Whenever Tom comes out I have always enjoyed a day out with him, but this time he came a bit earlier than usual, and driving too far in the heat didn't appeal to either of us. But yesterday afternoon we decided to have a little trip out. We drove along the coast road to the very end of Mojacar Playa. It then turns inwards a short way and passes through some newly built complexes, and the plans for these always include upgrading the roads and lighting in the surrounding area. So we went round two new roundabouts, and at the third we took a small turning back towards the coast and drove down what soon became just a gravel track, leading to Torre Macenas. This was built in the 18th century and had living quarters in the central level and big cannons up on the top. You can only view it from the outside but I believe you can book to have a tour inside.

From the grounds I took this view back along the coast towards Mojacar.

Then we got back in the car and joined the dirt road again and drove on along the coast towards Carboneras. The road was bumpy but well enough used to be hard and compacted. There was a small drop at the side onto a rocky slope but there was plenty of room to pass another car if needed. But gradually it narrowed and there were a couple of places where we passed under overhanging rocks, and took blind corners so I was happy to reach our intended stop, the rather impressive Torre Pirulico, also know as the Watchtower of the Rock of the Devil. This was built in 12th-14th century and formed a part of the coastal defense system. It is built from naturally hewn local stone directly onto the bed rock of the coast, and has a small archway at the base that takes you through to a railed verandah overlooking the sea. 

Then a long, steep, metal ladder takes you up to the only solid floor in the tower - a very tiny round room with no other openings except a little archway covering winding stone steps. Then you are on the 'roof' which fortunately has a high wall around it, and gives amazing views all around. 

From the car park there are lovely views along the very rocky coastline in both directions.



Then to reach the base of the tower you walk up some rough, irregular stone steps. Every now and then they turn a corner and you can look down into a little gully where the sea eternally laps the rocks, but I am happy to say there was a sturdy hand rail all the way. In places it was a taut, thick wire but mostly it was metal rods. They looked rusty and corroded by salt, but they were very firm and made you feel completely safe.

Of course we ducked through the archway at the tower base. It felt several degrees cooler in there and it was worth it to look out over the shades of blue in the sea. 

I took a quick picture of Tom leaning on the rail.
And I tried to lean back far enough to get one of the top of the tower.

Back though the arch we faced the ladder. Tom wasn't sure I would risk climbing it but I wanted to give it a go, so he stayed close behind me as I took it one step at a time, not looking around until I got to the top.

Then I had to negotiate the spiral stone steps up to the lookout. These were more difficult even though they were enclosed. This picture was looking back down them. I banged my knee on the wall going back down but apart from that there were no mis-haps.

I loved the views from the top, but as you can see, we were cooking in the sun so we soon made our way back down. 

The ladder was much more daunting when it came to going down and I decided I was safest going backwards. Tom went first so I knew he was right behind me, and I just took my time planting both feet firmly on each step and soon we were back on terra firma. I think Tom was quite impressed that I had done it.

Then it was on down the rough stone steps to the car park. I took these very carefully as my legs were feeling like jelly by then, but soon we were safely down.

Just in time I remembered to grab a selfie with Tom with the tower in the background.

This is one of the 'blind corners' we had to get round as we drove back towards Mojacar. Fortunately we didn't have to pass anyone all the way back.

We stopped along the playa for a swim to refresh us. Tom was soon in but after a few yards I realised the waves were much too strong for me, so I moved back nearer the edge and sat down, allowing each big wave to wash over me and turn me around, before it retreated and the next one rolled in. The currents can be dangerous along here, so I wasn''t taking any risks, but Tom had a bit of a swim before we got dressed and headed for home.

It was a lovely trip and I am glad we managed to do it.

I have two other little pictures from this week that made me smile. This little chap ran up the wall when I was hosing the plants in the front garden. It must have been newly hatched as it was only about an inch long from its nose to the tip of its tail. I don't think I have seen such a small one before.

When it is hot and it is hard to find a spot of shade to rest in, I guess when you do find somewhere cool you just curl up in it. Tolly settled on the old outdoor sink. He looked perfectly at home there, so I left him to it.

Sorry this has been a bit of a ramble. I hope you at least enjoyed looking at the photos. It will be quiet here next week with Tom gone so I will be back to briefer posts I expect. For now I will link up with Annie's Friday Smiles.

4 comments:

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Kate, we've been waiting for the doctor to ring to do mum's review so I'm a bit late getting round today. Looks like you had a great week with Tom but it is so hot where you are. I don't know how you can stand it but the sea looks inviting. Tolly looks comfy but it can't be too good for him either, guess he's used to it. Wishing you a very happy weekend, Angela xXx

Annie said...

I'm late in the day getting round all my blogging friends because I have been head down sewing since 7 this morning...and still not finished. What a busy few days its been.
It wasn't a ramble at all and I really enjoyed the journey with you.
Hugs,
Annie x

Virginia said...

Oh that was a lovely post, your son seems to have had a lovely time whilst he has been with you, I too used to enjoy wine so can appreciate your son enjoying sharing some with your hubby whilst he is visiting particularly if it is too expensive where he lives.

Your jaunt out looks fabulous although those narrow corners are never fun (country lane a land rover driving too fast towards us last night and a last minute swerve meant we managed to get to our meal out but those blind corners are not fun).

Your clock looks amazing and how fabulous to have managed to include more family members, I bet it raises a smile every time you look at it.

Also what a genius place for Tolly to have a sleep, hopefully enjoying being a little cooler.

Have a lovely weekend and week ahead.

Hugs

kiwimeskreations said...

Loved your lovely long 'newsy' ramble Kate - what a fun expedition you had with Tom, and thank you for sharing it with us!
I don't blame Tolly curling up in the sink - it looks cool!
Blessings
Maxine