Friday, May 26, 2023

Friday Smiles 2023: Week 21

Well we were promised a change of weather and we sure got one. But I am starting with a couple of photos taken at the end of last week when the sun was still shining and the sky was blue. (I thought last week's post was long enough so I saved these for this week).

I took a slow wander round the village as I wanted to get pictures of the entrance to our road, where the major make-over is now complete. A while ago I showed how they were making low walled 'garden' areas along the sides of the main road and slip road that pass along the front of the village, and they went on to make islands at several turn-off points, and covered them with artificial grass. Now all the work is complete, they have finished it off by placing knee-high lights on the central islands, and at the end of our road which is the main entrance to the village they have erected three flag poles. The green and white flag is the flag of Andalucía, the central one is of course the Spanish flag, and the purple one with three gold fleur de lis on it is the flag of Los Gallardos. They looked good all fluttering in the wind.

Then on a smaller island in front of these, there is a stone base to which has been attatched a metallic copy of Los Gallardos coat of arms. It has made it all look very smart, and made the traffic on our entrance much easier too.

As an added bonus the jacaranda trees were still in bloom, though you can see they are starting to drop their petals now. There is a line of them all along the slip road and they are so very pretty. I love their colour and the delicate way they bloom. Once the flowers are gone the trees break out in their lacy, delicate leaves and continue to look nice all summer.



I also saw some pomegranet bushes in flower. Their bright scarlett blooms really show up well against the dark green leaves.

Then everything changed. Starting on Sunday night, we had heavy rain, and it continued all through Monday and most of Tuesday. When we opened the front door on Monday morning to check non of our flower pots was under a water spout off the roof, we found this little lost soul on our door step.  She was dirty, soaked through, and shivering. I couldn't just leave her there so I took her in, sat her in a bowl of warm water and washed some of the dust and dirt off, and wrapped her up in a towel. I tried to get her to eat something but she refused both wet and dry food.

I knew she was 'snuffly' and probably not very well so I couldn't let her anywhere near my animals, but I phoned the vet and arranged to take her down there. She felt the little cat was older than I had first assumed and was just small and under-nourished. She said she would keep her overnight and do a blood test. The next day she rang to say that sadly the little one had tested positive for leukemia, and was unlikely to survive so we agreed to end her life straight away rather than make her suffer waiting to die naturally. It was sad, but I did all I could and at least we let her die with some dignity and feeling someone cared.

On Tuesday I had assumed there would not be much of a street market as everywhere was so wet, but when there was a break in the clouds, I went over just in case and I was able to buy some lovely fruit. I just love this time of year when all the summer fruits start appearing. I bought little apricots that ripen well in the fruit bowl, my first cherries of the year, and some of the squashed peaches called paraguyos. In the bowl at the back, and on the lower level of my fruit bowl,  I still have a few of the grapefruit that my friend at church gives me, plus some very late oranges, and some conference pears that are very hard and will probably need to be cooked. Delicious, all of them.

The rain and cooler days have continued all week but nothing like what we had a few days ago. Sadly some towns around us were hit much harder, with flooding, damage to property and cars, and even one death,  so we got off fairly lightly, and as I have said before, we really need that rain, though I'd rather it fell more gently. But we have plenty to keep us busy at home, and we know the sun will be out again soon, so we are not too upset by it.

And now it is time to link up wth Annie's Friday Smiles over on her blog. Do come over and join us there.

7 comments:

kiwimeskreations said...

Your town certainly looks very spic and span with the new roads and interchanges. How wonderful to have those flags flying!
That poor wee cat - glad to know she had a peaceful 24 hours before she "crossed the rainbow bridge".
Your flowers are amazing - we are heading into winter, and my freesias are through, and my daffodils are just peeping through - they are in pots this year, due to my circumstances, but hopefully next year they will be in a garden spot that I can enjoy them in.
Your fruit bowl looks fabulous - I too love apricots, and those 'squashed' peaches :) Our cherry season last summer was abysmal, which was not nice as I love them also. There is not much fruit that I don't like.
Blessings
Maxine

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Looks like another interesting week. It's been really lovely here but that is the usual thing when the children are sitting their exams. That was very kind of you to look after the poor cat. I am not a big cat lover but it makes me very sad to see the number of strays with no one to look after them but you did the right thing. Have a good weekend. Hugs, Angela xXx

Annie said...

I saw the little kitten you'd rescued on Facebook....how sad that he didn't survive but, as you rightly say, he was loved at the end and died with dignity. You're new road alterations look lovely. I really hope the weather improves for you and the rain comes while you're sleeping.
Hugs,
Annie x

Iris Flavia said...

Nice area and I love jacaranda trees!
Oh, sooo sad about the cat. But I bet she felt your love and care.
Yay for fresh food, but no to flooding.
I love rain, just not too much... Yet... a flood helped us big as Ingo said one more time and I move to you to Braunschweig (we had a weekend-relationship for 13 years).
So to the smiles that come from the bad, too....

Lisca said...

Oops, I had scheduled my blog but it didn't post, so now i'm posting a bit late. Sorry.
Yes, we have had atrocious weather too! My friends from the UK arrived Saturday night and so they have not been able to see much, but we tried to do indoor things and visit museums. We also went to Almería for the day and it didn't rain there, but it did when we got back to Caniles.
I love the jacaranda trees. We saw so many in Almería.
How sad about the kitten. But it's the best you could have done for her/him.
The entry to the village looks really nice. One day I will come and see you (as I'm now driving everywhere) and I will see it for myself.
We bought our first cherries too today. I love the cherry season.
Have a lovely weekend,
Hugs,
Lisca

Celtic house said...

Morning I wondered if your weather had improved yet but it seems you still have some rain, I hope the flooding doesn't cause too much damage. How sad for the little cat but glad he knew someone cared and now is no longer suffering. Your fruit bowl looks so colourful I've recently gone for a 2 tier bowl but I love your 3 tier one even more!

I hope you have a fantastic weekend and week ahead xxx

Di said...

Oh Kate, how very sad about the little cat. But, as others have said, she went peacefully and with comfort and dignity. We both love those 'flat' peaches when they come into the shops over here. Good to know that you're OK in those floods and the heavy rainfall - I had been wondering if you were both OK.

Hugs
Di xx