Friday, September 18, 2026

Friday Smiles 2026 # Week 38

Well here we go for another week and sadly I am still housebound, and currently on a second, longer course of antibiotics, and still coughing enough to drain my energy. But although I don't feel up to going out yet, I am trying to do a few useful things, so I have spent some time working on my laser cutter. I can't show the results as some will be given as gifts at Christmas.

I have also tried a little crocheting and am currently making poppies. Oswestry Town Council want to make a cascade of textile poppies at the guildhall in November and have asked our kniting group to help. We are aiming to make ten each but so far I have only managed three. I have experimented and now decided on a pattern which is simple without being boring to make, so I will get a few more made next week.

It is surprising what a difference a little bit of rain makes. We have had one thunder storm and a few showers, but no torrential rain, yet the park has gone from brown to green, and looked lovely this morning with the rising sun sending tree shadows across the grass. All the trees are still green with no 'Autumn colours' yet.

The garden has perked up too. Two of my planters at the front of the house have died off but the centre one is in full bloom again. 

Out in the back garden, next-door's rose is having a second round of flowering.

This fuchsia shrub is stunning, especially when the sun shines on it. My dad would have loved this. He grew several varieties of fuchsias and as  child I was often in trouble for popping the buds before they were quite ready to open!

And I needn't have worried about my helianthus (see week 35). It is now in full bloom making a lovely show just as so many others are dying.

And with that I will close for this week. Hopefully The meds will make a big difference to me this week, and I will be bouncing back next week.

No comments: