Friday, April 10, 2020

Rocking Your World 2020; Week 15

Has your world rocked this week? I wouldn't say mine has rocked but there have been plenty of times when it swayed and made me smile, so here goes. 
What a strange Easter this is. I do miss the Easter services at my own church, and the excitement on the streets as the Spanish celebrate this very important season with processions from the churches around the villages. But there have been plenty of short 'messages' on social network to share. I have watched some from our own vicar and some from my son for his church in London. I think some channels such as Facebook are struggling to cope with the increased use, but so far so good. 
I have also watched live concerts by my friend Shaz who sings on the local circuit here, and also by my youngest son Ben, who does a session some evenings. So I have plenty of entertainment.


Sometimes I manage to 'entertain' myself too, but not in an intentional way. Because I have arthritis in my neck, and also have a very short neck, I struggle to find a comfortable pillow, and for the past few weeks I have been using a small horseshoe shaped neck pillow for support. It was looking a bit grubby so I thought I'd put it through a gentle wash in my machine. Bad idea! A seam split and I found micro-beads everywhere. 

This is just the tip of the iceberg! They were in the machine, on the floor, in the towel I washed with it, they are still all over the path outside, and I had to use an old toothbrush to clean them out of the filter in the vacuum cleaner! I had to laugh, or I might have cried! Fortunately, the very next day I had a parcel which contained a new pillow. I had ordered it back in February, and wasn't sure I would get it.
It looks an odd shape but it is very comfortable, and I have had two good night's sleep using it. It is also filled with micro-beads and the label says it is machine washable, but I am not sure whether I shall risk it.....

After three weeks of staying at home, I was finally running out of some basic items so I needed to go shopping, and also needed to collect my monthly prescription from the Farmacia. We have decided to try and only use the shops in the village. The supermarket has a very limited range of stock, so this means keeping our meals fairly simple, but I am not ready to drive to a big supermarket yet. So I donned my facemask, (made by  ladies in the village and distributed by the Town Hall), and off I went. It seemed quite strange to actually be out on the street. We have stricter rules than UK and are not allowed to just go for a walk.
Normally the folk in the village rely mainly on the street market each Tuesday to buy fresh fruit and vegetables, and they have very little in the supermarkets, so I was pleasantly surprised to find crates of them stacked at the end of a counter, presumably supplied by local farmers who cannot sell in the usual way. In fact I got most of the things I wanted.
These two pictures come from the Town Hall site. The first is their counter with a collection of full-face, acrylic masks. They went round the village and handed these out to everyone who has contact with the general public, such as those manning the check outs in the shops. The second is the lovely lady who runs our little supermarket where I went shopping this week.


I have also been quite productive with various crafts  this week. I recently made a little box card of a church, as a Christmas card. I liked it so I cut out three more and they have been sitting in a tray ever since. So one afternoon I decided to put them all together. So I now have four little churches all ready to go in my 'finished Christmas cards' box. These fold flat to go into envelopes for posting, and will help me build up my little stash of cards.

I have also continued to crochet, mostly in the evenings, and I have completed several more blocks for my next blanket. This seems to have been hanging around for a long time, as it was a project to fall back on when my hands couldn't cope with a big blanket. And also I needed to work on small items at my Wednesday sewing group, where we do a lot of chatting and it is easy to make mistakes. I'd rather undo a little row of a block than one right across a blanket! I then ran out of the dark blue wool I am using to edge them all, but last weeks parcel brought me enough to hopefully finish is. I just have a few more blocks to make and then I must start the jigsaw puzzle of fitting them all together. There are 53 blocks in all - a large one in the centre, and two each of 26 designs.

I took a break from making these one day, to make one of these little squares. It is called HOPE. The designer Tinna Thorudottir Thorvaldar, wanted to give us something positive and happy to focus on during these difficult days. I made mine with 4ply cotton and it is so sweet. I may make a few more, enough to cover a cushion perhaps.
I have also been busy in the kitchen. The day I went shopping, the queue down the street from our little baker's was so long, Chris didn't want to wait in it, so I decided to make my own. Back in the day, when I was recently divorced and managing on benefits, with two small boys to feed, I made all my bread, but these days the kneading is hard work and the local bread is too good to bother with making it. But I was glad to find I hadn't lost my touch. I managed a lovely loaf which we enjoyed, and I am sure I will be making more in the coming weeks.
And of course, I couldn't let Good Friday pass without some hot cross buns. These I do make most years as they are not something the Spanish have, and although I can get them frozen from an English shop, you can't beat the smell and taste of home made ones. So yesterday afternoon I was back in the kitchen making these.

I have continued to spend a little while each morning (weather permitting), enjoying the silence and watching the birds and insects keeping busy in the green zone at the back of our house. One day this week I sat out there with some bread and when I finished I dusted the crumbs from my lap. Soon I noticed an ant coming to collect a big crumb to take home. It was bigger than him, and he was struggling to move it, but he didn't give up. Then I saw another ant approaching it and thought "Oh good. He is getting some help". I have seen them work together to move larger items before. But when he got close, the original ant fought him off, then picked up his precious meal and ran home with it. He managed to carry it a good 20 meters and then struggled, but eventually managed to pull it through a small crack between two crazy-paving stones. We could learn a lot from ants!

And finally, Thursday was a full moon night. It was described on the internet as a pink moon, but as usual I forgot to look for it as it was rising, and by the time it was right up, it had lost its colour. It was a cloudy sky that night but I tried to get a picture anyway. Now I only use my phone for photos, they are not as good as I used to get with my camera, but here is what I managed.

I do hope you are all keeping well, and finding ways to entertain yourselves during these strange times.
This may not be like any Easter you have experienced before, but I still wish you all joy and blessings, and patience to stay strong until we come out on the other side.
Time to link up with Annie's Friday Smiles, and Rocking your World if Virginia does a post today.



7 comments:

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

I suspect that the Spanish are missing all their processions as they normally seem to have at least one a week. Oh no! all those beads everywhere, hope it doesn't cause any further problems. The new pillow looks interestingly shaped! The face masks look useful, we were lucky that my hubby had some that he uses for working with dust so they have had some use now. I've not done any baking myself as there is very little flour available at the moment. Take care and have a happy Easter, Angela xXx

J said...

Hi Kate, your bread looks delicious but unfortunately I can’t make bread, I’ve tried but always come out too hard, id totally forgotten about hot cross buns, id better not tell Steve as he loves them toasted and we usually buy them, Shame as we now have a supermarket opened near us that sell Tesco products, unfortunately it’s off our Urbanización so we aren’t allowed to go!
They are saying they might open a few more shops after the 26th, not sure if we will be allowed as they are in the town, can’t remember what’s it’s like to go out in the car, Steve went around the block to drop the recycling, he doesn’t go out otherwise as he has heart problems so I’m keeping him at home, I haven’t been to the post office, we have a box but it’s not very big and I don’t want to be close to anyone.
I hate ants, I admire them but I’m sure one day our villa will collapse from them digging underneath, they have been appearing in our conservatory since the rain stopped so I’ve been spraying around!
Have a lovely Easter, at least we have some sun now!
Jan x

Annie said...

It's good to see you're making the best of every day. Sadly the weather has been really sunny here and it's probably going to be one of the best bank holiday weekends ever....of course this means the idiots will be travelling and flocking together even though they should be on lock down. For us it's bliss because we have been enjoying lots of time together in our garden....been out there all morning today hense why I'm late visiting today.
I think we will all be enjoying the little things in life so much more when this is all over....I loved your little hardworking ant.
Happy Easter to you both.
Hugs,
Annie x

Karen said...

Wow what a mess that pillow made! ~ Your little churches are amazing ~ I can't believe they can go flat, very cool!. Your hot cross buns look yummy ~ Easter Blessings to you!

Virginia said...

Hello Sweetie - I'm late again, I'm glad you are managing to keep busy, however that pillow incident does not look fun, I was tidying said 19 year old's art room today and hubby knocked off a pot teddy bear ornament that I've had since before said 19 year old was born, it bounced and shattered into a million pieces and I long time getting rid of the tiny shards of pot.

Your bread looks lovely and the hot cross buns look great. You seem to have more PPE items in your town hall than my sister has on her front line on a Covid positive ward, from what I understand there were no visors yesterday - I kid you not.

Keep safe and try and enjoy the Easter weekend albeit that it will be unlike any other.

Much love

kiwimeskreations said...

Oh what a catastrophe with the old pillow... so glad you could laugh!
Those ants are amazing! yes we could learn a lot from them.
Your crochet is beautiful... those blanket squares look amazing, as does the bread. I used to make all my bread a long time ago - as I eat hardly any now I am on my own, I buy a sliced loaf about once a month!
I rarely watch TV, by choice, but do listen to a Christian radio station that I stream online, and have playing in the evenings when I am at the computer.
Have a blessed Easter
Stay safe
Maxine

Lisca said...

I just noticed my comment has not got through. Now I have to remember what I wrote. Not important really. I just want you to know that I love your header. It is so colourful and bright.
I was going 'oh no!' out loud when I read about your pillow wash mishap. Graham came hurrying over to ask me what the matter was, lol. Not funny.
The little churches are so cute, but I don't want to think about the C word yet. (I know I should)
Your crochet is lovely. I went to the web site you mentioned and have downloaded the instructions. Who knows I might give it a go when I can get hold of some cotton. I might make one a little larger and make it into a pan holder.
I know what you mean by watching ants. I can spend quite a lot of time just watching them. The longer I look, the more I see. Fascinating.
I am a bit envious of your hot cross buns. Graham loves them and I have never really bothered to learn to make them. ('Must try harder')
Our local builder's merchant has opened on Monday, so that is an improvement. I too have been living from supplies bought at the village Coviran and Día. But this morning I went to Mercadona in town (alone in the car as we are still not aloud to have more than one in a car). The shelves were full and there was no waiting time. Very organised they were.
Belated Happy T-Day,
Stay safe, stay healthy, stay home,
Hugs,
Lisca