Friday, May 14, 2021

Rocking Your World 2021: Week 20

Many of you will have seen my post last Friday on Facebook so will know that we did indeed both get our second vaccinations and neither of us had any adverse effects so that is something to be very grateful for.  The system was quite good but we did have a long queue to wait in. It was getting a bit warm and I wished I'd thought to bring a bottle of water with me! I think they were a bit late getting started or else they had given out quite a few appointments before the actual start time, but once we got going we soon moved along. There were six lanes of cars feeding into two treatment posts but the stewards kept things going and made sure each lane had their turn.

The venue had changed from last time and it was much better, as first time around there were long traffic jams which must have made life very difficult for anyone living on those roads, and having to deal with it every day. This time we arrived at the expected park gates and signs clearly pointed us along another road and round into what turned out to be an extension of the same park in the rambla (dry river bed). We had no idea it even existed. It was huge, and well laid out with a big lake that had a water spout in it, playing fields, children's play equipment, seating shaded by trees and much more. When vaccinations have finished I shall try to get back there to have a proper look around. After our vaccination we were told to drive on a little way and wait for 10 minutes before leaving. We were up on the edge of the rambla so we could look down onto the park and I took these photos.
We could also look across the rambla at Vera town and pick out a few places. In the far distance, on the little mound to the left in this picture, we could just make out that it was the hill with the "Sacred Heart of Christ" statue on it. I have walked up to this a few times but it is quite a climb. 
Because I know my phone camera has an excellent zoom feature I tried to take a photo of the statue. However it has to be held very steady when using the zoom, and even when I tried resting it on Chris' shoulder, I still only managed a very blurred photo. I could see it much more clearly than this, so I was frustrated that I couldn't hold the camera. So when I got home I browsed Amazon and have bought a small selfie stick/tripod with a remote trigger, and it arrived today. So hopefully I will be more successful next time; (providing I remember to take it with me of course!).

The weekend passed quickly as usual and this week started off beautifully sunny and warm but very, very windy. Each time we closed a door another one was sucked open, and in the end we had to shut most of the doors and windows. The animals didn't like it, and they all stayed indoors most of the day. Kim knows how to make himself comfortable anyway!

On Tuesday I needed to go to the market so I got ready nice and early so it wasn't too busy. I was pleased to find the first of the fresh apricots were there. They are my absolute favourite of the soft fruit as long as they are ripe enough, so I bought some of them, as well as a kilo of little mandarins. I was surprised to see these as their season usually ends in January or February. But they have obviously bred a later version. The man who served me, in the usual market patter, told me they were beautiful, and the smaller they are the sweeter they taste, and I must say they have a lot of flavour and we are enjoying them.

I love to see all the little birds that visit us for the summer, and right now there are scores of house martins arriving. They return to their old nests and the nests are protected, so you are not allowed to remove them. There is a tall house in our street that has a row of nests under its eaves and I sometimes stand there just watching the birds fly in and out with food for their babies, who you can hear chirping. They never stop. I don't know when they eat for themselves, but it is a constant series of swooping in, and flying off again. It was difficult to get photos because the adults move too fast, and the nests are in the shade, but of course I had a go anyway. Later in the year we will see all the babies lining up on the telegraph wires, practising flying before they all take off for another year. We also have some swallows in the village now and we have seen some of them on the wires across our garden, but I don't know where they nest.
I was in the garden this week and I noticed the flowers on the chumba cactus next door are all opening. They tumble down the side of the green zone so I cannot see them very well, but they are beautiful. They range from creamy yellow to dark red and each one only last for a day, but there are plenty more the next day. The bees love them.

This little one made me smile. The side of our house, outside the kitchen door is really only a path of fairly rough crazy paving, with two small areas cut out for our lemon tree and the bougainvillea. Even on the warmest summer days it can be quite chilly first thing in the morning, and it is also a bit of a wind tunnel, but there in the concrete was this little flower. Its stem and leaves were brown and dry but it still produced a flower to smile at me that morning. As I have said before; isn't nature wonderful!

And finally here are some of the lovely flowers in our garden this week. The roses are beautiful and at their best, and the Bird of Paradise tree is starting to flower. The kalenchoe (bright pink) has been thrown away once because I thought it was dead, but it proved me wrong!

And finally I saw this image this week and it really made me chuckle. It is the front of a tee-shirt, hence the fold shadows. It is the look of innocence on the cats face that caught my eye. "What me?"

So I will now link up with Rocking Your World and Annie's Friday Smiles. I hope you all have plenty to smile about too.

5 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What an interesting week you had. I was amazed at the little yellow flower that found a way to bloom in concrete. Those oranges look wonderful. I would also have bought them if for no other reason than the labels! I'm biog on saving fruit and veggie labels for my art projects.

I was surprised to read that house martin nests are protected and you aren't allowed to remove them. That is something new to me. We have no laws like that.

I love the cat shirt. It is so adorable and that pink nose! How sweet. Have super rest of Friday and a great weekend, dear Kate.

Annie said...

Sorry I’m so late in visiting today. I’ve made 4 Memory bears so far today and still have 3 more to make....I’m guessing they will be a job for Monday now.
I always tell you how much I love seeing the flowers and animal life around you and today you have excelled. Thanks for sharing it all.
Hugs,
Annie x

Lisca said...

How interesting to discover an area you didn't know existed! It looks a really nice park and surroundings.
We also get house martins/swallows nesting. When I'm in the gym doing the cross trainer by the window, I look upon a building with nests just like in your photo. And I too was fascinated by the to-ing and fro-ing of the mother bird feeding her brood and flying up and down without resting.
I love the flowers of the chumba cactus. I have never seen them flowering. Now I know why. If they only flower for one day. A lot of prickly pears were diseased here and not all of them have picked up.
What a sweet image of cat 'innocence'. Throwing all the music notes on a heap and then look at you with a look: "What, me?"
Have a lovely weekend,
Hugs,
Lisca

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

At least if you had to wait a while you had something interesting to see that you was new to you. Our queue was not quite so long but i think they were late starting as we stood outside for some time whereas the first time we went we were in and out before our allocated time. You're so right nature is wonderful despite the things we do to it, it finds it's own way to keep going somehow. Innocence and cats! I don't think so but it made me smile for sure. Have a lovely weekend, Angela xXx

Celtic house said...

Ah you seem to have had a grand week, I'm glad you didn't have any negative effects from the second vaccine, I was the same but my hubby was really poorly with it. Your weather seems to have improved, ours unfortunately has taken a turn for the worse and we've rain forecast for the weekend. Loving the photo of Kim snuggled on the sofa, definitely looks comfy. That's brilliant about the nests being protected, I don't think they are here, so often removed after the season, but they usually come back regardless. We've never faired well with the apricots, I find them tasteless but I guess it may be down to the variety that we get in the UK. Your flowers are doing brilliant, I need to look for some new bedding plants soon. Have a lovely weekend and week ahead. xxxx