Friday, May 21, 2021

Rocking Your World 2021: Week 21

Well I wonder what has made you smile this week. For me, what better way to start my post than with a beautiful baby; my Grand-daughter Aisling sleeping peacefully on her daddy's hairy knees!


And this little monkey is really a baby still too. Tolly is now one year old. I have read that ragdolls are not fully grown until 18mths -two years, so he still has some growing to do. He is already bigger and much heavier than my other cats but he is very light on his feet and very flexible, as you can see in this picture of him enjoying an afternoon siesta.
It doesn't look very comfortable to me, but he didn't move for hours.

At the weekend Chris and I did a short shopping trip to a local house and garden shop and then a garden centre. We went to look for something to make our front wall a little bit higher and chose some green panels, really designed for edging flower beds, but they were the most suitable thing they had. So during the next couple of days, Chris fixed them to existing metal rods and wires that used to hold a band of plastic netting. He only had to cut one panel for the end piece, to accommodate the slightly higher stone post. It took more than we had estimated so he had to pop back and buy another pack of panels! 

But it now looks fine from both our garden side, and out on the road and it gives us more privacy when we use the pool and then shower. Before, a tall person could see over the wall, but now even they would have to stand on tip-toes and make a point of looking in.


It was finished on the hottest day we have had so far, so we both decided to jump in the pool. The water was on the chilly side to get into but it was fine once we got used to it. We each took a photo of the other and then I photo-shopped them together to make this one!

                                        
After shopping for the fencing we went on to the garden centre so that I could look for some geraniums to go in our three-pot stand on the front porch. I did find three lovely ones, all a bit different from each other, and we also chose a blue hydrangea, and a very pretty pink alstromeria. They sat in a box on our porch for a day but then I did get them potted up, and they are looking lovely.


Last week I shared a little yellow daisy that had beaten all odds and bloomed on an arid piece of paved path. Well, while I was gardening I found another little surprise. Its little face was looking up at me and I just had to smile. I guess it was again 'planted' by a bird, or just fell from the rubbish when we cleared away the winter pansies and violas. How sweet is that?


I hadn't really been paying much attention to this plant which is one of the more exotic ones in the garden, but I suddenly noticed it had three flowers opening. It is strelizia nicolai, a member of the bird of paradise flower family. Though not as beautiful perhaps as the more common orange and purple bird of paradise flower, it is non the less very striking. The flowers are large with a black/purple lower petal, white inside petals and a pretty pale blue tongue. They are distantly related to the banana tree and the leaves are very similar to that.

On Wednesday we had a lovely day. We visited some very good friends, Chris and Phil. We haven't been able to see them for nearly a year. They made us a lovely lunch and we were able to sit outside to eat it. I took over a lemon meringue pie made with lemons from our tree. After lunch Chris and Phil did their usual disappearing act off to the bar for a few beers, leaving Chris and I to chat to our hearts content, and generally put the world to right! We were so busy chatting that I forgot to taken even one photo. Sadly they are hoping to return to UK by the end of the year, as Chris has major health problems and need to see consultants that speak the same language as her!
I shall really miss them when they go.

Yesterday I went to Turre for some quick shopping. It was a strange day, hot and sunny but quite windy with a chilly bite in the wind. As usual I took what we refer to as 'the back road' to Turre. It is less heavy traffic-wise, and much more scenic than the main road. I noticed that the campo is covered with clouds of yellow, which have replaced the pink and purple flowers that are often seen at this time of year. The yellow is wild broom, and it flourishes in this rather dry soil. Most of this is the common variety with small, not very significant flowers, but there are so many of them that it just looks like a sea of yellow. Occasionally there is a shrub with the larger flowers often seen in gardens back in the UK. I used to have one myself. I stopped to take a few photos because they looked lovely waving gently in the breeze. I don't think the photos do them justice but here are a few.

There was a small plant centre near to where I parked the car in Turre, and I stopped to buy this pretty hanging basket of petunias. Their colours really shone out from a display of mainly pink and purple ones. I have removed the plastic hangers because I find it is mostly too windy for hanging baskets around us. But I like petunias. As long as you dead-head them regularly they will flower for a long time, and these ones were unusual and eye-catching.

And before we leave the garden I was surprised to see a little yellow daisy flower on top of my 'pin-cushion' cactus. This has the fiercest spines on it and I can't touch it even to remove dead leaves that blow onto it. It flowered for the first time last year, but I am sure it was much later than this. It is on a little strip of land between our front yard and the garage forecourt, and we planted the silk tree at the end of it, so it has been watered regularly all year. Maybe that is why it has started flowering.  They are only quite small flowers, which was a bit disappointing as some cacti have very impressive blooms, and they close up as soon as the sun moves off them. But it does look as though there may more to come this week.

I don't often post funnies but these seemed particularly pertinent. The first one because I have known people refer to me as the cat woman!

                                   

And by now you all know I love all the creepy crawlies in the garden, and I think my favourite is the preying mantis. So I am sure at some time I have mentioned that they are very useful in the garden for eating unwanted pests, but they are also cannibalistic, and after mating the female will bite off the head of her mate, and often eat him. Which explains why these two really made me chuckle!




And now I think it is time to link up with Rocking Your World and Annie's Friday Smiles.  You are welcome to join us and share what has made you feel happy and grateful this week.

7 comments:

Lisca said...

You have a gorgeous granddaughter! She looks really sweet.
Your Tolly looks sweet too. What a position! It looks really uncomfortable to me. I remember when we had a cat, he used to sleep in strange positions and locations. It must be a cat thing.
The little fence on top of the wall is really good solution. It looks good in and out. Well done.
We too had a windy day. It was much cooler and ever so windy. We spent more time inside as it was too chilly with all that wind.
I love your flowers. Especially that colourful petunia.
You clever girl! Photoshopping that photo! I still struggle with things like that. You did a really good job and the photo looks very real.
The strelizia flowers are very unusual. I was expecting orange and purple to be honest. I've never seen these.
The broom is lovely isn't it. I love seeing it. They smell lovely when you get quite a few of them. After they finish we will get the flowering gorse. Or have I got the order wrong?
I laughed at the praying mantis funnies.
Have a lovely weekend,
Hugs,
Lisca

Lisca said...

Re Lidl: They started the garden furniture on Thursday, so there should still be some around if you go this weekend.

Annie said...

So many smiles this week Kate. So many pretty flowers. Thanks for sharing them all with us. I loved your funnies.
Hugs,
Annie x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a fun way to start your post with your darling granddaughter and Tolly, who looks like a typical cat to me. My two get in that same position at times.

You really solved the fence problem and it was far less expensive than trying to build on top with anything else.

Great photoshopped image. I just recently learned how to stitch two (or more) layers together and I've had this program since 2000!

All your flowers are beautiful, but I especially love the purple Bird of Paradise.

Had to laugh at the cat woman and thanks for explaining the preying mantis jokes. Hope you have a great remainder of Friday and a wonderful weekend, Kate.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Kate we're back. Another baby! there seems to be a lot more than usual at the moment, wondering whether it has something to do with the Lockdown we had Lol! I have a friend who has two of the Rag doll cats and they seem to be very flexible. I rather like the green panels they look really smart on the top of the wall. We called in the Fish farm today on the way to my mum's to pick up fish food and stuff and I can tell you I was very tempted by the fish as they had some lovely Koi in there but as the weather has been up and down I think we'll leave it a week or two. We've had thunder and lightening which can effect the oxygen levels causing stress to the fish especially any new to the pond but fingers crossed they will still have some of the ones I fancied. Clever bit of photography there and loving the flowers. Loving the funnies too. Have a lovely weekend, sunny I hope. Hugs, Angela xXx

kiwimeskreations said...

Oh what a lovely post Kate - your grand daughter is beautiful.
Love all your gardening photos - those petunia's really are 'different' and quite striking.
With winter really starting to be felt here there is not much in the way of flowers around now, and the colourful leaves are almost all gone also.
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

Virginia said...

Oh your weather definitely looks a lot better, ours has taken a turn for the worst and we are now getting the April showers we didn't get in April. Your new addition to your boundary wall looks fabulous and if it gives you a little more privacy even better. Your flowers look like they are doing brilliantly and how cute is that viola clinging on. I'm glad you had a lovely catch up with friends, how sad that they will be leaving to return to the UK albeit that it is completely understandable. I hope you have a beautiful and blessed weekend and week ahead.

Hugs