Friday, November 5, 2021

Rocking Your World 2021: Week 45

Today's post is mostly about the sky. It has been an uneventful week, but the skies have been majestic so here is what has lifted my spirits and made me smile this week. (Apologies to my Facebook friends who  may have seen this before!)

First up is something I saw in the sky.  I was hanging my washing out on the line when I glanced up and saw a huge number of birds very high up, wheeling arund in the clouds, (probably enjoying the thermals up there). I knew they were not the birds we usually see here, and presumed they were some kind of raptor,  so I posted on my Facebook Wildlife page and was soon informed that these were griffon vultures.

They would be pretty huge down low, as I could see them despite their height. I zoomed in as far as I could to try and see their outline shape better. I reckon that there were between fifty and a hundred of them, in two groups. One circling and the others in a file. While I watched them, the file started to move off, and then the others joined them, also forming a file, and off they went towards the sea. I am thinking they were resting in the thermal air currents on their migration journey.

I felt very priviledged to have seen them and realised that had I hung out my washing ten minutes earlier or later, then I would have missed them.

The other thing that has filled me with delight this week is the sunsets. I have the 'condition' known as Face Pereidolia, which means I see faces in every day objects. This week it was the sky I saw them in, and here are a collection of some of the photos I took. You may, or may not be able to see the faces, but either way you can't help but be inspired by the majestic skies.

Having posted these on facebook, I was surprised to go out the next night and see another face; quite a friendly one with a feint friendly smile.

Then the next day this one appeared! Not such a friendly one. The clouds are constantly moving in the wind, so these faces are only there for minutes, even seconds sometimes, so it is just luck if my camera is at hand at the right moment.

And of course, not all sunsets bring hidden faces so here are a couple of sky photos that I liked for their own sake. You may even spot pictures in them. Every one's perseption is a little different. My family often say I am 'making it up' because they can't see what I can, even when it is really clear to me.

This one is a reflection of a sunset in the clouds looking towards the east.

And this one is a sunrise. One of the few days when I was up early enough to see it!

But now I will leave the sky and look more down to earth at the garden. I said last week that our roses were trying to have a second flowering and this week they are lovely. These are all on one plant.

Behind them is this pink rose which grows a bit taller every year. We think it is also stronger this year and has some lovely flowers at the top.

This is another plant that I really love. It's most common name is simply Pink Trumpet Vine, but its botanical name is Podranea Ricasoliana, and it has several other names too including, Canpis Radicans, Port St.John's Creeper, Queen of Shebe Vine, Cow Itch Vine, and Hummingbird Vine. I think the Pink Trumpet is as good a name as any. It has the odd flower almost all year but it comes into its own in this season.

This one is growing in next door's garden, and her groundsmen cut it back quite hard last time they came, which seems to have done it good. As well as growing all along her front railings, it also hangs over our side fence. We too have to cut it right back when it gets too invasive, but right now we are just enjoying its lovely flowers.

And that's about it for this week. I haven't really been out far except to do the essential food shopping. I have had lovely long chats with my son and my sister, and put the world to rights with them. I have made my last few Christmas cards as I need to post the UK ones by the end of the month, and of course I have added a couple more rows to my crochet project each evening. I was a bit optomistic when I said I had done a quarter of it last week, as I found I was only on row 30 out of 160, but I am now on row 40 so I guess I am a quarter done now. Not that there is any rush. It was always meant to be a long-term project.

And finally I will leave you with my absolutely favourite photo that I have taken over the last few weeks. I hope you think it is beautiful too.

And with that I will link up with Annie's Friday Smiles and enjoy reading about what every one else has been doing.

6 comments:

Annie said...

That was definitely an ‘in the right place at the right time’ sort of photo shoot this week Kate. Love the photos of the raptors and your skies always make me smile because I can always see the faces too. Those pink trumpet flowers are stunning...so lovely to be able to enjoy your neighbour’s flowers too.
Have a great week,
Annie x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Interesting flock of birds and to see so many together too. Beautiful photographs too. My only bit of excitement this week was the craft club and hairdressers! Have a lovely weekend, hugs Angela xXx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I saw some of the faces in the clouds, but I wasn't originally looking at them the same way you do. I see shapes in different clouds, like a dinosaur or an elephant, etc. Your faces come from more than one cloud, which surprised me. Still, you came up with some glorious cloud shots and sunsets. Seeing those birds was SO fortuitous. This was most impressive. Have a great rest of the weekend, Kate.

Celtic house said...

Your sky photos are amazing, I can see faces in most of them, but the colours are what really made me smile, absolutely stunning. Your rose looks fabulous too and how pretty is that pink flower, I'm enjoying the winter pansies and violas I planted but at this time of year they tend not to be what you would call prolofic as it is getting colder, in fact we had our first hard frost on Thursday night. The photo of the birds is fantastic and to see so many must have been quite a spectacle, I hope you have a lovely weekend and week ahead.

Hugs

Lisca said...

Such beautiful colours in the sky! I don't see faces in clouds, I'm afraid, but even without the faces, the skies are stunning.
I loved to see the vultures (yes, they are definitely griffin vultures). We get them a lot here, but I have never seen them in such quantities. Fifteen to twenty is the largest group we saw. You were very privileged to have seen that.
The trumpet vine is gorgeous, and I expect you won't be trimming your neighbor's one back until it finishes flowering. It is a joy to behold Graham would say.
It has got much colder here in the last few days, but we will be spending a few days in Marbella soon, so hopefully that will be warmer.
Enjoy your weekend,
Hugs,
Lisca

kiwimeskreations said...

I'm late commenting this week Kate - it's been a busy few days and I am still tiring too easily for my liking - my son keeps reminding me that I am 'old' and can't expect to bounce back as quickly....
Loving your sky photos - I don't see the faces as you do, but was impressed with the three stacked lenticular clouds in your 'friendly face' photo
The pink trumpet flower is stunning :) as are your roses
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine