Friday, January 21, 2022

Friday Smiles 2022: Week 3

Hello again. Thank you for joining me. I have  very little news to share with you but it has been a pleasant week with plenty of sunshine and not quite such low temperatures as last week (which incidently were the lowest recorded for that week, breaking last year's record cold). I have, however added another layer of jumpers as it is still chilly unless you are in direct sunlight and out of the wind. 

When I let the dogs out on Wednesday morning the sky was cut in half by a dead straight line of cloud. I took this photo over the garden wall, as I thought it represented our weather lately, half sunny, half clouds and rain. Fortunately the clouds gave way and we had a sunny morning.

It has been a week for getting a few things done at home. I spent one morning rearranging the garage which in fact is not used for the car, but is a general storage area. It gets pretty messy at times, but once Chris had helped me store the Christmas decorations away in the highest cupboard, I was able to move around and get things back in their proper places so it is safer to walk around now. That makes me happy.

I also partly sorted the freezer - still a bit to do there -  and this morning Chris helped me really clean the ceramic hob. I do keep it clean but residue still builds up on it, and Chris's hand's work better than mine and he did a much better job than I can.

I cooked pigs cheeks for our dinner one day. It is not something you see in the shops in UK very often, but they are popular here served either as a tapa or a main course and are called Carrilladas. They are slow cooked for a couple of hours and are the tenderest meat I know. I also baked bread, but my kitchen was too cold for it to rise properly so I stood it on top of the oven while I cooked our lunch and that woke it up!

I have also done quite a lot of crafting. I have been working on a fairly complex cutting file for a birthday card I need soon.It's not finished yet but I can't show it yet anyway.

Something else I achieved that has needed doing for a long time, is to revamp my wall clock. I made this a good few years ago and I renewed the photos when we had the room decorated and I had to make the script again. (It is vinyl cut on my Silhouette machine). The clock mechanism was bought online, from America I think, and it keeps very good time. However the family is ever growing, and the grandchildren change so fast, so it was hard to fit everyone in this time. But I am happy with the results for now.

As we tend to settle down a bit earlier on chilly evenings, I have also done quite a lot of crochet. My main project is a good three-quarters done so I am hoping to finish it soon. But it is heavy to hold so I only do a couple of rows each day. In between I work on my Celtic tiles for Chris' blanket, and I also have another little project on my hook. 

Now it is harder for me to source my favourite yarn that I used to order from UK, (now priced out by high import duties), I have started using a lot by a company called Scheepjes which I can buy from a Spanish shop. Just before Christmas they issued a mystery box called Crimbo Limbo, that contained a simple project to occupy people during the lull between Christmas and New Year. It contained a pattern for a shawl and the yarn to make it. It was a limited edition and proved to be very popular. A lot of people were disappointed when they couldn't find one in stock anywhere. 

I was only prepared to buy one if the Spanish shop had it, but when I enquired, they had sold out within hours of putting it on their site. However, they put my name on the  waiting list in case they were able to get further supplies, and just a few days before Christmas, one arrived by courier. We were asked not to open them until Christmas Day so as not to spoil the surprise for everyone.

The main yarn is one of the colour changing whirls in shades of green, made especially for the project and not available to buy from the shops, together with two smaller balls that work well with it.

The whirl started very dark in the centre and gradually becomes lighter until the end when it is a very pale mint. You were told in the pattern to start in the centre and as you can see, I have worked the darkest rounds and it is now a mid green. If you can make it out on the pattern book, you will notice that after the basic pattern there is a very different pattern worked with the two solid colour yarns, to make a wide border. It is nice light-weight piece of work, and when I am not feeling up to working the heavy blankets, I do a row or two of this instead.

Apart from a lot of long chats with family members, that is about it for this week. So I will get linked up with Annie at a stitch in time, and do my best to visit you all.


8 comments:

Annie said...

I really love the new clock photos and the shawl wool is lovely. You seem to have many projects on the go at the mo. I finished the baby blanket last night and have started knitting a little hat to go with the baby cardigan I knit. It’s slow progress but I will get there.
Hugs,
Annie x

Elizabeth said...

I'm convinced that very few garages are actually used for their intended use - to house cars - instead they have replaced the cupboard under the stairs! The click is lovely - such a good idea. I love the colours in your shawl - green is my all time favourite colour - and so far it looks quite beautiful. It's been some time since I did any crochet work, or knitting even, because a certain little kitten just loves to play with yarn. Have a lovely weekend. Elizabeth x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

That clock and the photos are out of this world. Beautiful and timely. YES, I enlarged it. Those are some pretty scary clouds. Glad the broke up before they caused damage.

Thank you for not showing the pigs cheeks. I am definitely a vegetarian, and that would have been too much. Pigs FEET I might be able to handle, but not cheeks!

That shawl is going to be beautiful. You are so lucky to get the box because I can see it is very special yarn. Have a super rest of the weekend, Kate and a great week, too. Thanks for dropping by while I was asleep.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Kate, bet you wondered where I'd got to. After walking dogs I had a sudden need to sort some stuff in our small bedroom which means I can now use my exercise equipment again so sorry I'm so late. Loving the colour of those yarns and the clock is such a great idea. Have a lovely weekend. Hugs, Angela xXx

Lisca said...

You have been busy. It feels good to have done all those jobs, I'm sure.
The clock photos are great. I remember seeing that clock when I was visiting you. It's really lovely.
I had never heard of Crimbo Limbo, although I know Scheepjes wool, it's a Dutch brand. My mother used to knit a lot when we were children and that name brings back memories. Anyways, I think it's a great project and the colours are beautiful.
I love carrilladas, I order it in a restaurant but I have never made it myself. I have a recipe for it cooked in a slow cooker with red wine. I'll give that a go next week. Thanks for the suggestion.
The weather here is pretty much the same as where you are. It's lovely in the sun and we eat on the terrace often, but at night it's below zero. We've had good freezing weather. I look forward to the frost as it gets rid of the flies.
Have a lovely weekend,
Take care,
Hugs,
Lisca

kiwimeskreations said...

Sounds as though you have made the most of being indoors Kate, with the extra sorting and cleaning. Your clock looks impressive!! The shawl is gorgeous - love the colours they gave you.
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

Virginia said...

Oh the clock update looks fabulous and it is a really pretty mechanism as well. As for the shawl that is going to be stunning and what a lovely colour way. Sorting your garage doesn't sound fun, but I also know how much better something feels after a good sort out, so well done for persevering I'm still psyching myself up to sort the utility room, made harder by the fact there is no heater in there.

I hope you have a lovely weekend and that your temperatures remain warm, we are still in the grip of a typical UK January, but we can't really expect anything else can we.

Hugs

Lisca said...

What a fun name Crimbo Limbo! I had not heard of it, but it looks like a really great project. I love the colour. I hope you will show us the finished article.
The clock photos are great. I remember seeing that clock (and admiring it) when I was at your house all that time ago. There are more and more grandchildren to squeeze in!
I love carilladas. I have only ever eaten it in a restaurant and I've never thought of making it myself, but I will ask the butcher on Monday if they have any and I'll have a go. I'll probably cook them in the slow cooker although I have a Dutch oven (I know that's an American word but I can't remember the proper English word at the moment, sorry).
Sorry for the late comment. I thought I had already commented on yours, but obviously not.
Have a lovely (rest of the )weekend,
Stay safe,
Hugs,
Lisca