Friday, November 11, 2022

Friday Smiles 2022: Week 45

Another quiet week but a busy one somehow. Twice a month we have a date when we can put anything out by our street bin and the coucil will collect it the next morning (if it hasn't already be taken by a passer-by). So this week we managed to man-handle a large fridge out between us. It lived in the garage and was used mainly as a drinks cabinet all summer, though it also houses fresh milk so I can buy enough for one or two weeks in one go, and also all my vegetables which do not keep well here out of a fridge. But sadly it just stopped working and it had to go. Someone took the scrap metal off it that evening and the council collected what was left the next day.

So on Monday my first task was to clean out the space in the garage where it had been, tuck away some plastic crates in its place giving us a safer pathway though everything, and give the floor a good clean. When we moved in, our family was amused to see that the garage had a marbled stone floor and a large carpet over it! But out here some garages are huge and as well as having a car parked in them, they have a living space with comfy seating and a TV, so a carpeted floor was not that strange. However, our garage is not that big, but we do not put the car in it. Houses here are notoriously short of storage so anything we can't find a home for, goes in the garage! It is now clearer and a nicer place altogether. We do intend to replace the fridge, maybe with one a bit smaller, at least before next summer, but hopefully before then. I have a much newer one in the kitchen but it is very small and doesn't hold much, which means more frequent trips to the shops as I can't store much.

But I have also had some time to relax and do 'my own things', so I have sat on the porch reading  all afternoon, finished making my Christmas cards for posting, and most of the local ones as well, and made a good start on my new crochet. I thought I would show you the first motifs I have made so you can see how the colours in each ball work up. There are five different motifs but I have started with a plain one to get a feel for the yarn, and I shall do all sixteen that are needed in this colour before I move on to a different one.

I am afraid I can't show you my mandala yet as I am still trying to find a suitable hoop. The wooden one I had seen was in Germany and it would have been ideal. It only cost 16€ but when I came to buy it I had a shock when I saw the postage. It was 150€ !! and that is posting within Europe, so we can't blame Brexit and import duties for that. I think the couriers have upped their prices massively as a result of rising fuel costs, but it will put a stop to a lot of on-line shopping if it continues that way, and will feed the large corporates like Amazon who manage to work around it to some extent. Anyway I approached the florist in our village to ask if she could get one for me, but after some fun trying to understand one another which left us both laughing, she said she can only get them up to 30cm, but she would ask her husband who does metalwork, whether he could make one. I am going back tomorrow to see what he said.

Today I did some shopping in the morning, and this afternoon I have started writing all my cards to people in UK. I usually send a small parcel of them to my sister and she posts them on which works out a lot less than paying international postage for each one. I took them in to work at the sitting room table which is under the window, but they kept blowing away so I had to close it. I have written my annual letter that goes to a few friends who are not internet users, and I forgot to move it before taking this photo, hence the untidy smudged area in the corner!

The rest of today's photos are all of evening skies. We have had some truly gorgeous weather for November. I have even eaten lunch outside most days. Monday evening certainly went down in a blaze of glory.

But in the evenings the clouds gather and yesterday we had a loud thunder storm and some fairly heavy rain. It didn't last all that long but much more is forecast for this weekend. This was the sky just before it started.

On Wednesday the sunset was criss-crossed by several vapour trails and I tried to take a panoramic photo which will my blog header for a while. Here it is before I went to panoramic style.



And here is a photo I saw on the net this week. Isn't it amazing. Nature can teach us a thing or two about resilience, and not giving up!

Annie is back from her holiday now so I will link up with her at A stitch in time and see what she got up to while she was away.


6 comments:

Annie said...

Fab sky pics and that tree is simply amazing....nature never fails to amaze us.
Hugs,
Annie x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Kate, that's a good system run by the council. They used to do something similar in Lincoln City but now we have to pay for someone to come or take it to the tip. It certainly sounds like you've been busy......as usual! The photos are lovely and the one of the tree does not surprise me at all. They tried to cut back the willows in the park , chopping off all the branches and they are bigger than ever now. Wishing you a very happy weekend. Hugs, Angela xXx

Iris Flavia said...

Wow, here you have to ask and pay if you want the city to collect such things!
(books and such we all put out in the street with a sign "for free")

I never heard of a garage like that!

Your work looks great already.
16 to 150 postage?!
I wanted to send a pressie of €5 and the price for postage was... through the roof, too (luckily I had friends from Perth who then for a small price sent it to Adelaide)

Honestly.. I think your hand-written letters are super-appreciated over e-mail!

You live in a great are, beautiful shots!

kiwimeskreations said...

Sounds like a great system of collection for bigger items Kate.
I do hope you can get a correctly sized hoop for your mandala - I am also finding that postage overseas, either inward or outward, is spiralling
up!!
Love your sunset photos they are stunning, and your new project looks amazing in that colourway! I am looking forward to seeing the next step in the project.
That tree is amazing, and yes, resilience is a great asset to any of us.
Blessings
Maxine

Celtic house said...

Wow that was a lovely post, I hope you manage to resolve your need for your crochet and giggled at your trying to understand one another, hopefully the ladies husband is able to help.

I too have been on with preparing Christmas things, our annual newsletter is nearing completion, I need one photo of something happening next Thursday and then I should be good to send to the printers, I found years ago that it was cheaper to get them printed professionally than usiang my ink cartridges. I will then be obtaining stamps which I haven't done yet.
Your sky photos are beautiful as always and I absolutely adore that tree, it reminds me of Groot from Guardians of the Galaxy.

Have a beautiful and blessed weekend and week ahead.

Hugs

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

It's great that you can send your metal to the scrap yard and the city pays for it. We pay for trash and recycling. We aren't allowed to put an old refrigerator out. We have to sell it to a certified person who will remove the freon from the unit, then they sell the metal. Most people pay around $35.00 (USD) when they get a new one. If you have to get rid of one like yours which is not a trade in, the cost can be around $75.00 (USD).

I couldn't believe the cost of shipping, but I heard the cost of postage was going up for Christmas this year for both in country and international. No wonder big companies offer free shipping. I hope you got good news from the local metalsmith.

Really lovely sky shots, Kate. Have a super fun week, dear.