Friday, January 20, 2023

Friday Smiles 2023: Week 3

My son has been sending me beautiful photos of his garden and local countryside, all with a blanket of snow, and although I love seeing them, I am very gald to be here in the sunshine, even if it does feel a tad chilly to us. But we have not been completely spared some bad weather. On Tuesday and Wednesday it was blowing a hooley here, enough to overturn our large cactus tree in its big heavy pot, to move the garden furniture around and to fill up the pool with leaves and debris. Hopefully it will have settled down enough to have a bit of a tidy up tomorrow. The animals have been quite disturbed and I am not surprised as the wind whistling round the corners is quite an eerie sound.

I walked over to the market on Tuesday to buy fruit and veggies, and most stalls were battling to keep their goods on show. I took this photo of the clouds being whipped up into a wave. (Pity there wasn't something more attractive in the foreground!)

Despite the wind, Kim still prefers to lay on his bed which is tucked into a corner of the porch, behind our chairs to give him some protection, rather than inside on his comfy bed by the fire! We encourage him to stay quiet in the evenings so as not to disturb the neighbours, so when he started barking excitedly on Tuesday evening, and wouldn't stop, we knew he had found something interesting. He was in a dark little corner between a thick shrub and the back railings, so using the torch on my phone, I went to investigate and sure enough, he had found a hedgehog. These are rarely seen in the village; in fact this is only the second one we have seen in the fifteen years we have been here. It was curled up tight and I think it had hibernated and was disturbed when the wind moved the roll of wire fencing that was on the leaves. It looked like there had been a nest of sorts under the leaves. Kim wouldn't be distracted so in the end we carefully moved the hedgehog over the railings to where there is a deep pile of old vegetation, and hopefully he settled down in there. There was no sign of him by the morning. I managed to get quite a good photo of him using the flash feature.

I have some more beautiful roses. The first one lasted almost all week, so I rescued these ones before they were destroyed by the wind. The red one is like velvet and the whole room smells of its perfume when I go in each morning.

The work in the bathroom is progressing, albeit rather slowly. We are hoping it will be finished by tonight. It has been a bit unsettling having the workmen in all week, and there has been so much cardboard packaging blocking the corridor, so I have tended to stay in one place as much as possible. On Tuesday I hid in my craft room all day. I actually managed to make a birthday card for my son ready for the end of February. That is forward planning for you! 

I also decided to try my hand at something new. Many years ago I did a little basic macrame, and as I showed in an earlier post, this year I made three little Christmas trees from a kit. That sort of got me interested in it again, and it seems to be having a new lease of popularity, so I was able to find quite a few tutorial videos and e-books online to help me get started. In the end I decided to tackle a wall hanging. It is a fairly ambitious piece for a first effort, but following a very helpful video, I am making some progress. The next part is more complicated but I am ready to try it. I needed it to hang on the wall while I worked so Chris put two hooks on the inside of the wardrobe door in my craft room and it is hanging from there. This is the work so far. I will show it again, if or when it is finished!

My son Tom, who lives in Denmark, phoned us from Lisbon this week. Apparently he was there for a work conference, so he gave us a guided tour of the city. It looked really interesting.

And finally I have a picture of a lovely heart shaped sunset.

And with that I will link up with Annie's Friday Smiles. Take care on the ice and stay safe and warm everyone.

7 comments:

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

It sounds warmer where you are than it is here at the moment though the sun is just coming out now. We have jackets for the dogs though their coats are quite thick at the moment and even the youngest puppy doesn't seem to mind the cold. Lovely photographs of the clouds. Looking forward to seeing progress with the macrame too. Wishing you a happy weekend. Hugs, Angela xXx

Anonymous said...

I bet you will be glad to see the back of the workmen! But you'll have a lovely nice bathroom! Do send us photos of the completed work.
I oohed at the hedgehog. Wow, I have seen one here. It must have been blown on by the storm. We had that storm too. It was horrible. I don't like storms at the best of times. Now I had to listen to all this whistling and howling on my own and I must admit, I didn't sleep a wink! I also had my patio furniture blown everywhere and I found a thick black cable hanging waist high across the street outside my front door.
What a lovely red sky (with heart)!
Have a great weekend,
and have a lovely time with your son,
hugs,
Lisca

Annie said...

As always a lovely post Kate. We get the occasional hedgehog in our back garden and Milly always finds them...they have to climb a 5 foot fence to get there so It always amazes me that they get in!! Your skies are stunning.
Hugs,
Annie x

Iris Flavia said...

Oh, yes, cold here, too.
Nice you all could help the hedgehog! And the roses are wonderful.
Oh, macrame... was hip when I was young and my Mum sure was polite buying plants to hang into these holders I made. She hated them, LOL.
Lovely sunset.
To smiles and a happy Friday, hugs!
And happy anniversary to the cutie-pie!

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

We don't get hedgehogs here in the states, but they are SO cute. Glad you were able to rescue it.

That red rose is gorgeous. I have a rose in my garden called Elizabeth. I think it was for the Queen, but there is NO scent whatsoever. I can almost smell this one.

I took a macrame class in the early 1990s. I picked the most difficult one in the book we had to buy. The instructor thought I was nuts. After three classes I had it finished and the instructor said I must be a natural. That was the first and LAST macrame I ever created. It was nearly six feet long and held a huge bowl of silk flowers, a passion I had then and even to this day. I look forward to seeing how yours progresses. It is already quite lovely.

Your sky shots are incredible. Just stunning, especially the heart. I hope you have a great rest of the weekend, dear Kate and get all those boxes out of there so you can take over your home again.

kiwimeskreations said...

That is an amazing piece of macrame Kate - well done in taking an such a stunning project.
We have finally got some summer weather here after what felt like weeks of rain...
Hope your bathroom is finished by now.
The wee hedgehog must have had a fright - hopefully it found another cosy spot to continue to doze in!
What a stunning sunset!
Blessings
Maxine

Celtic house said...

Oh your weather sounds a bit changeable, I hope it has stopped blowing a hoolley. I remember you saying how unusual it was to see hedgehogs, so it must have been a nice surprise and I'm glad you found a new nest area for it to hibernate, fingers crossed it can enjoy the rest of winter.

I'm glad your bathroom is coming along and hope it has now concluded, whilst it is always lovely to get work done, it is always unsettling when you have people working in your house.

Your macrame looks amazing, I keep thinking about doing some, but I've gone through my creative books today and genuinely have enough to be getting on with if I'm honest.

I hope you've had a good weekend, have a great week.

Hugs