Friday, January 27, 2023

Friday Smiles 2023; Week 4

A very quick post today as my son is here with his wife and little girl so I don't want to spend too long down here on my computer. But I have a few photos to share. My little grand-daughter is used to animals and has a big staffie at home, so she wasn't phased by Kim's size, and he is so gentle anyway. But she has really fallen in love with Tango. He is so laid back that he will tolerate a lot of cuddles and stroking, and when he has  had enough, he just takes himself off to hide for a while. A. Hasn't taken any notice of the other cats; just Tango.

Unfortunately their first day with us was rather wet. We did manage to walk around the market, but then the rain started and stayed all day, which doesn't often happen here. So we were happy to see the sun shining and a blue sky the next day but they were a bit surprised at how cold it was, although I had warned them. So on Wednesday it was even colder then usual, and looking from our back railing, we could see snow on the higher slopes of the Cabreras. 

We have only seen snow this far down a couple of times. It was unusual enough for Facebook to be flooded with photos of it, so here is one from a friend who lives  higher  up the mountain. Certainly a novelty for the locals.

The snow has gone now and we have a slightly windy but sunny day. I was up quite early, just in time to catch a lovely sunrise.

Our son Jonathan used to be a tree surgeon, and one of the reasons for his visit, (discounting the obvious family reasons), was to help Chris in the garden. Between our porch and the back railing there is a tiny square of soil where we had a very pretty tree, and also a shrub that I grew from a small cutting when my friend moved back to UK. It took almost too well and grew much too tall, so it towered above the tree. But this year the tree died and Jonathan has cut it down, along with the shrub which we are hoping will now grown more bushy, and not so high. Then between them they chipped the huge pile of debris so we could bag it us and put it in the street bin.

It has made a big difference to the light in our bedroom and in the porch fly-free area. The little path that runs behind this square of earth is where the hedgehog was hiding in a big pile of dead leaves. It looks so much better now it is all cleared up.

I enjoyed some Grandma cuddle time while we watched Grandad and Daddy working outside.

Tonight we are going out together for a while, and tomorrow Jonathan is driving me to Alicante to collect my little Leo (Maine coon kitten), which is very exciting, so that is all I have time for this week. I will link up with Annie's Friday Smiles and I am sure there will be photos to show you next week.

6 comments:

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Lovely to see you having family time Kate and hope you have a good weekend. Hugs, Angela xXx

Lisca said...

How exciting that you are having a kitten! I have never seen a Main Coon cat here (only in photos). Is Leo coming from abroad?
Your little granddaughter is gorgeous. And I love the purple blancket she is lying on.
We have not had snow here in Caniles but the mountains outside my window are white. And it's cold. Especially in the morning when I go to the gym. Brrr!
Have a lovely weekend,
Hugs,
Lisca

Annie said...

How lovely to enjoy time with that little cutie [and the adults too of course]. I cant wait to see your new little fur baby.
Hugs,
Annie x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

How wonderful to have family time and family visits. Your son really helped a LOT. Those children are adorable, too. That porch area looks great, now. I look forward to meeting Leo your Maine coon next week (HINT). Have a super weekend, Kate.

kiwimeskreations said...

How wonderful to have family with you Kate - and to have them lend a hand with a big job like that!
Lovely too that wee A loves the animals and they are tolerating her well.
I am looking forward to seeing photos of Leo next week :)
Blessings
Maxine

Celtic house said...

Family time, absolutely nothing finer and get a few housey (garden jobs) done at the same time. I bet the light levels have made a big difference. Loving the photo of tango with your granddaughter he definitely seems unphased. I hope the addition of your maine coone kitten will be lovely, can't wait to meet him/her. Enjoy the rest of your family time.

Hugs