Friday, August 11, 2023

Friday Smiles 2023# Week 32

I tried writing this earlier but I seem to have deleted it, so I am trying again. I had a lovely week with our eldest son Jim and his family, with the highlight being on Saturday when all five of our sons came over along with some of the grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Here we are minus the two little ones who were already in bed.

And here are Chris and I with the five boys.

They were mostly gone by Sunday evening, but Chris and I stayed on for a few more days, as did our son Tom who went home to Denmark on Wednesday. Yesterday Chris flew home to SpIn and I came down yo Bournemouth to see my two sisters.

During the week Jim took me into London to the Tate Modern to see the exhibition by Yayoi Kasuma. She uses lights and mirrors to create scenes that go into infinity. Very interesting and the lights were amazing.



Then we went to Jim's diocese cathedral of Southwick to meet Hodge, the cathedral cat.

A boat trip down the Thames took us to Greenwich where we browsed the narket and sampled some street food.

Tuesday was grey and rather damp but we took a train to Rochester and walked round the beautiful cathedral.



They had an exhibition called Creation through Threads. Twelve silk and stitched panels depicted the story of creation as told in the Bible in the book of Genesis. The fabrics and stitchwork were amazing. These are my two favourite panels.




 
We have had two lots of happy news in the family. Firstly our son Mike has finally got a dare fir his spinal surgery in early September,  and today Jobathan, (son no 4), heard he has got the job he had applied for. It is still with his company but is a considerable promotion for him. It was his birthday yesterday too, so he will ve celebrating this weekend 

I am sorry I am Kate posting. Jean and I went shopping this morning. Now I am going to try to add some photos to this before I publish it on Annie's  Friday Smiles.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I’m glad you managed to join in Kate. It looks like you are enjoying your time over here and managing to spend lots of quality time with your family.
Hugs,
Annie x

kiwimeskreations said...

What a wonderful post Kate - how lovely to be with all your family!!
Sounds as though you had a wonderful 'tourist' time visiting places of note... love those 'creation' wall hangings.
How wonderful to end the week with such great news
Blessings
Maxine

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Sorry I'm late Kate. I started off okay Friday morning and then got distracted. It's quite annoying when you start typing something and then manage to delete it and I know Lol! Looks like you've had a good week though and hope the weekend is just as good. Hugs, Angela xXx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Sorry I'm late visiting. Hoping to be more punctual now the clean up is over. How wonderful to see your family all together. Nice your # 4 son got that great promotion. Your photos of the lighting are incredible, as are the photos of the cathedral and stitch work. Hope you are enjoying your time away and I hope that you have a great rest of the weekend and new week, too.

Celtic house said...

Ah Kate lots of family happies, loving the shot of your family and then the one with your sons, I'm guessing with you being spread far and wide these are now something of a rarity. The tate looks fabulous, London is not one of those go to places for us being 'up north' it just never features on the radar if that makes sense. The thread panels are truly stunning, the work that goes into these really i extraordinary.

I'm glad that your son has a date for surgery, sounds painful but I'm guessing he is struggling with a back issue which the surgery will correct. Congrats on your other son's promotion, always lovely when they get to move on up in the same company.

Hope you have a wonderful week this week.

Hugs