Friday, May 4, 2018

Rocking Your world 2018; Week 18

Here we are at Friday once again. It hasn't been the happiest of weeks, but there are still some smiles to share.

We were blessed with a lovely sunny day for our church Spring fair on Saturday. I had too much to do, to stay for long, so I went down to the Playa in Mojacar quite early to drop off the cakes I had made for our stall. Our branch of the church usually runs the cake stall, as well as the bottle tombola and a knitting/sewing type of stall, and I am always happy to bake some cakes for them. 

Although it was only just opening, there was a good crowd of folk browsing the stalls, and enjoying a freshly cooked bacon roll for breakfast.
The cake stall was set up with the helpers ready to receive our contributions and to persuade someone else to buy them! They had already opened a big sunshade to protect those cakes that had icing on.
There are a few holiday-makers in Mojacar now, but they were probably still enjoying breakfast in their hotels, because the beach stretched empty in both directions.

I am sure that soon changed as the morning wore on.
The fair was a very successful and raised a much-needed 2,800€ for church funds.

Sadly we lost a much loved member of our family this week. He was in his ninetieth year, and has led a full and interesting life. He was one of the kindest and wisest men I have known, and was very influential in my life. I am waiting to hear when the funeral will be, to see whether I will be able to get over to UK for it. Unfortunately May is a very, very, busy month for me, but I shall go if at all possible.

With that in mind, the rest of my week has been spent finishing the tidying of the garage, and starting to move the kitchen into it, in case I go away before the work begins.
So the shelves are now full. It probably still looks a bit of a muddle to you, but it is a tidy muddle now! And I know where everything is.
The larder, and its shelves are now in the garage, along with the freezer. When the contents move back into their new homes in the finished kitchen, these shelves will house the 'spare' boxes that are still on the floor.
We worked hard yesterday, and last night we were both too stiff to hardly move! But we each took our respective medication and today we were fighting fit to go again. I am taking this afternoon off to write my blog and make a couple of cards that I need, but I am pleased with what we have achieved so far.

We have had a mixed week of lovely sunny days, very high winds in the afternoons, and a fair bit of rain! It really can't make its mind up this year. But as the evenings have continued to be relatively cool, I have continued with both my knitting and crochet projects. The cosmic blanket is coming along nicely.
It is a fairly complex pattern and has several stitches in it that are new to me, so I have to concentrate on it, and it is not ideal when I want to watch something on TV. But I only have one more round to do to finish Part 1, and I did intent to pack it away then until next Autumn. But if this weather continues, I may keep going for a bit longer.
Because of the concentration needed for it, I only do one or two rounds at a sitting, and then I do some knitting instead. I am happy with the way my yarn is knitting up. It is quite stripey but the stripes are random, and I like that. The Wool Jeanie is very good too, despite the fact that my ball of yarn has completely collapsed now! (It is darker red, and less pink than it looks in this photo).

Before I go I will share something I saw this week that made me chuckle. It may only be relevant to my friends and family in UK. I didn't copy it at the time but this is how I remember it:
"Following the news of the Sainsburys-Asda merger this week, Marks and Spencers have announced that they will be merging with Poundstretchers, and their new shops will be called Stretch-Marks"

And that is it from me this week. I will link up with Rocking Your World and Annie's Friday Smiles, and hopefully see you again next week. 

6 comments:

Annie said...

Sorry to hear you’ve also had sadness this week Kate but guess at such a good age you will be celebrating his long life.....although it’s never long enough is it?
I’m really loving your crochet....it really does look complicated so well done you for managing the pattern. I also love the wool you’re knitting with....gorgeous colours.
Hugs,
Annie x
Ps I’ve still not heard anything from Mike....guess he’s busy.

Lilly's Mom said...

Sending you my condolences for the loss of your dear family member. You have been so busy with all your fun activities. I love the blanket design, too. Thinking of you, Pat

Jean said...

I'm so glad it was a nice day for your Spring Fair on Saturday and what good sum of money was raised.
Your blanket is working up lovely, it's such a pretty pattern. Your knitting is looking good too, I like the pretty stripes.
Jean x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

You've been at it again Kate! I just don't know how you have time to breath you always so busy. Sorry to hear of your loss, we just have to be grateful for the time we have but he was a good age and obviously by the sound of it someone who will not be forgotten. Have a great weekend, Angela xXx

kiwimeskreations said...

Oh Kate - my condolences on the loss of you family member - I do hope you can get to the funeral.
I love your crochet - it's a fascinating pattern and really lovely colours. Your knitting looks interesting too.
Well done on the money raised at the fair.
What a grand project your kitchen is turning out to be!! You will be glad once it is all over and everything back where you want it.
Blessings
Maxine

Virginia said...

Ah I'm sorry about your family loss, they are always difficult no matter the age.

You seem to have lots of that sunshine now, we too are enjoying a rather warm May bank holiday for the UK but as usual it is far too warm for me, it is set to last a few more days before cooling down midweek. It only seems two minutes since we put the fans away but I can see them returning to the bedrooms if this continues.

You look like you've managed to sort your shelves and knowing they will be useful beyond the new kitchen means the time putting them together has been well spent.

I hope you've had a good weekend and enjoy your week ahead.

Hugs

Virginia