Friday, October 11, 2019

Rocking Your World 2019; Week 41

Hi again folks. Just a quick one today. It has been a fairly uneventful week and it is nice to have one like that sometimes.
It started with our Harvest Festival of Thanksgiving on Sunday - always one of my favourite services.

Here is just some of the gifts brought in by our congregation.
The service was followed by one of our famous community lunches where we all contributed something to be shared out, and as usual there was more than enough to eat.
As a result of the harvest gifts, and items collected over the past few weeks, our two great food bank workers, Keith and Peter, together with their helper Hazel, were able to take a wonderful twenty-six bags of food to Jim at Zurgena Town Hall, to be handed out to needy families in the area.

I had some cards to post on Tuesday and decided to go down to the main Post Office in Mojacar with them. This can be a bit of an ordeal, but now the holiday visitors have mostly gone, it is easier. I still had to drive along the seafront a way to find a parking spot, but it was a nice day for the walk back. This week, each day has started off a bit cloudy, but later the sun has broken through and we have had a lovely sunny day, though there is a touch of autumn in the air in the evenings. Tuesday was particularly cloudy and the sea reflected the sky and was a gunmetal grey, but it was still pleasantly warm. 
That photo was taken looking towards Mojacar Pueblo on my right. Then I turned to face the other way, towards Garrucha on my left, and the sun was out, people were on the beach, and one lady was about to go in for a swim.
It's hard to believe the two photos were taken from the same place, at the same time on the same day.

You may remember that our car broke down when Chris was driving to the airport to join me in UK, just over three weeks ago. It was towed back to village and as soon as we got home, we took it to our mechanic friend. We were getting worried that we had not heard from him, but on Tuesday the call came to say it was ready for collection. It had been a major fault under the dashboard and a whole unit had to be sent away for repair. But I am very happy to say it is now in perfect working order. I am pleased to have it back as the old grey car we keep, for emergencies, and when we have visitors and a second car is needed, seems very heavy to steer after the blue one. We are very grateful for our friend who keeps our cars in running order as we know very little about what goes on under the bonnet!

I am struggling a bit with my left hand but last night I managed to write all my Christmas cards for UK, so I can take them with me at the end of the month for posting nearer the time.

I must share some photos of a dragonfly that came to our garden this week. Very sadly he had died when I found him, but only very recently as he was in perfect condition and still had his colours which soon fade when they die. He hadn't been caught by a cat or he would have been damaged, so probably he was overcome by heat or lack of water.

Isn't he beautiful?. Just look at the pattern on his wings. The Spanish word for dragonfly is libélula which I think sounds lovely. Here is another photo taken from a different angle which clearly shows the bright turquoise triangle just below the wings. This may have originally been the colour of all of its body.
And finally a close up of its eyes which were absolutely amazing. They are made up of hundreds of tiny cells. I hope you can click on the photo to get a closer look, so you can see them. They had an almost holographic effect so you could see right into them.
I do think God's creations are marvelous!

And so to my other go to topic, the sky. Once again we have been blessed with some lovely sunsets, and this one on Monday was something really special. I guess it was pretty windy up high, so it blew the clouds around in spirals and made this gorgeous curl as the sun went down.



But it is not only the sunsets that are lovely. On Thursday I had an early morning appointment at the doctor so I witnessed the sun rising. It was struggling to be seen at first, giving a pretty pearly haze with the Cabrera mountains silhouetted against it.
But as I got further around I looked back towards our house and the clouds broke apart and the sun finally managed to show through. It turned out to be another lovely sunny day.
And that's it for this week, so I will link up with Annie's Friday Smiles and Rocking Your World and I'll see you all again next week.

5 comments:

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

You know it's one of the things I really miss about not going to church and that's the Harvest Festival. As a child I always looked forward to it and the lovely hymns too. Beautiful photos and love the dragonfly, we get lots in the garden here probably because we back on to some very damp Moorland. It's feels strange really that we live so near to the city yet there is so much green surrounding us. Have a lovely weekend, Angela xXx

Lisca said...

I love Harvest Festival. It is special to us as we met during Harvest Festival week.
You've got some nice sunset photos (and sunrise too).
ThaT DRAGONFLY IS AWESOME. aNS SO BEAUTIFUL WHEN ALIVE. i MEAN THE COLOURS. hIS EYES ARE REALLY A WORK OF ART. yES, gOD'S CREATION IS INCREDIBLE. (sorry: caps lock on)
The weather here is cooling down too. In the early morning and at night, the temperature goes down and I have to take a cardigan to wear at night when we go out.
Have a lovely weekend,
Keep smiling,
Hugs,
Lisca

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

Last week I was sidelined due to a pesky squirrel. This week it's my own fault. I had an early morning appointment and stayed up all night. After the appointment, I met a friend and we went out for Chinese food. I got home about 4 pm my time and immediately fell asleep. Now I can only blame myself.

I remember you taking us to this festival last year. It's always good when the religious community can come together like that.

Your dragonfly is unbelievable. You have an incredible camera and that close up of the eyes is out of this world. So glad you were able to get your car back. You took some awesome photos of where you live and of the sunset and sunrise, too. I hope you have a lovely weekend, since I know your Friday is now in the history books.

kiwimeskreations said...

Sounds as though a quiet week was what was needed :). Love that dragonfly - so beautiful and those eyes!! Thanks for sharing those amazing sunsets... I love sunset photos, but from my home there are always other houses and power poles obstructing the skyline....
Blessings
Maxine

Celtic house said...

Ah those food parcels for needy families I'm sure will be very much appreciated, what a brilliant gesture.

The seafront looks beautiful on your trip to the post office!

The dragonfly is beautiful and aren't the eyes amazing I had no idea there was that much detail in them, I hope it had a very happy life.

And those skies - absolutely beautiful.

Much love

Virginia

PS Apologies for my tardiness, we were away last week and no matter what I did my tablet wouldn't post a message.