Friday, November 22, 2019

Rocking Your World 2019: Week 47

There is not much to report this Friday as I have spent the best part of the week wrapped up in a blanket in front of the fire, having succumbed to the rather brutal virus that is doing the rounds here. I have to say I don't remember feeling this bad for a very long time. But I am hoping the worst has passed now and I will soon be on the mend.


But I still have some lovely photos to share, and the first one is my little mandarin tree. It was covered in blossom in late spring, but like most of the citrus trees, much of their flowers are lost in the high winds of March and April. I didn't actually think any had survived, but gradually I saw a few fruit forming and now they are turning orange , they can be plainly seen. I think it has fourteen fruit on it which I am delighted with as it is only a baby tree, and has never had any fruit on it so far. As soon as I am up on my feet again, I am looking forward to picking them.

Now to the main event as it were, my Advent Angels Project. Over the last month or two I have invited members of our three congregations to knit, crochet, or otherwise craft, small angels. The idea is to put each one into a cellophane bag together with a Christmas greeting, and information about all the services in the three churches in our Chaplaincy. I know I have told you most of that before, but here is the good bit, when I asked them all to be handed in last weekend, I ended up with a magnificent collection of 400 angels! isn't that a brilliant response? And considering we only average around thirty in each congregation, it is an awesome achievement.

There were a large number crafted from paper and card...
Some cute and colourful ones in felt, fabric and ribbon...
And a good number that were knitted or crocheted. It was good to see a few ethnic angels in the collection.
Here is a group, just a small selection to show them in more detail.
So, on Tuesday morning a group of friends met at my house to get them all bagged up ready to distribute. (By the end of the morning I knew I was 'going down' with something, so I hope I didn't repay their kindness by giving them the virus too!).
My first estimate was that I would get around 200 angels so I had sent for  pack of 200 small bags. But when I realised we were going past that number, I ordered a further 200 slightly larger ones. We divided the angels into two sets by size and I worked with three others to get the small ones done, while the other three worked with the larger ones, and within a couple of hours, they were all done!
We all enjoyed chatting and looking at the variety of work involved in making some of them.
And one last picture to share on this theme, at the bottom of the box I found two baby angels. how cute are they!
Fortunately my friends are used to my cats wandering in and out when they are there, and as soon as we emptied one box, Charlie jumped in. He sat there with our feet all around him, quite unconcerned. We did offer him his own angel but he wasn't interested.

What is it with cats and boxes? I had dozed off that afternoon and when I woke up, Tango had commandeered another box and with that grumpy face, I think he was just challenging me to make him get out. But I left him there and he curled up in it and had a snooze. They seem able to fit into the smallest spaces.

And that's it for this week. On Sunday the angels will be blessed in the three churches and given to the congregation to leave in random places around their communities, such as supermarket shelves, buses, bars and park benches, for folk to find and take home to enjoy. And hopefully some who find them, will even join us at one of our services. I am gutted that I will have to miss this last stage of my project, but I am not fit for public gatherings yet, but I am hoping someone will take some photos for me to share next week.
Until then, I will link up with Annie's Friday Smiles and Rocking your World.

7 comments:

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Cats and boxes, they just love them. Looks like you've had a busy week too. The little angels are amazing, well done to you all for making them. Have a lovely weekend, Angela xXx

Annie said...

Oh bless you. I really do hope you're feeling much better very soon. We don't seem to shake off these bugs as quickly as we get older do we? Get eating those lovely oranges and they will boost your immunity.
As for the angels....wow wow wow. What an amazing amount were made by you all. It's such a lovely idea so I hope all who find one appreciate all the work that wen't into making them all.
Biggest healing hugs my friend.
Annie x

craftyani said...

Well done, so sorry you will miss the blessing of the angels on Sunday. Hope you feel better soon. Ann

Virginia said...

Ah hun, the virus we are getting over has been really nasty, I too haven't felt this ill for a long time. I've nearly finished my antibiotics and I'm still not right.

I'm loving the angels they are a sheer delight and how amazing to get double what you were hoping on. I'm sure they will be appreciated by all that receive.

Now rest up and get better soon.

Biggest hugs

Elizabeth said...

Hi Kate, I tried to leave a comment earlier with my (not so) Smart phone but it refused to send. I hope you are well recovered from that nasty virus now and having a good day today. Your angel makers are simply wonderful and what a lovely idea to distribute the angels around your locality for people to find. The baby ones are adorable. It's my experience that cats will always take up residence in a cardboard box given half a chance. I have photos somewhere of two of my kittens who tucked themselves in a tissue box! Hope you have a better week. Elizabeth x

Twiglet said...

Gorgeous angels Kate - what a lovely crafty activity that is. xx Jo

Zsuzsa Karoly-Smith said...

Wow, I've never seen so many angels in one spot! And they're all different - so creative! Tango is just adorable sitting in the box - stole my heart!