Friday, January 3, 2020

Rocking Your World 2020: Week 1

Hi everyone, and a Happy new Year to you all. 
As expected, I didn't post last week so I really wanted to just draw together the last few days of 2019 before launching into the new year. So I am having a quick trawl through my photos and writing this on Thursday night as tomorrow I shall be up with the dawn chorus to get to Murcia airport to collect our eldest son Jim and his wife Jo. They are coming for a week to celebrate the Three Kings festival with us.
Earlier in the month we had a 'Red Day', one of our national holidays, this time a religious one for 'The Immaculate Conception'. Apart from a special mass in the church, the local folk don't seem to celebrate this in any special way, though of course, they are happy to have a day off work. But we have quite a large South American (mainly Ecuadorian) population around here, and for them it is a very special festival. They dress up in the most bizarre costumes, some beautiful and some verging on very ugly or scary, and gather for a big mass in the village church, when some kind of presentation was given to quite a few folk, and then they dance and play music as they parade down to a recreational area in the rambla at the top of the village, which is set aside for their use every weekend. There they party into the night. So I am just showing a couple of their costumes, as these  photos were overlooked at the time. And then I will move on to our Christmas.




First we will go back to the night before Mike came over for his (very) short break, when he played his usual role of Santa on the Round Table float that tours the villages in and around my home town of Oswestry. He always does it on the night it is in his old village, and was still asked to play the part again even though it is almost a year since he moved away.

He makes a very good Santa, partly because he enjoys it so much. The thing that struck me when I first saw this was, if I didn't know it was him, and I was asked who it was, I would immediately have said it was his brother Jim. I have never thought of them as being that alike, but it must be all in the eyes!
Anyway, the next day he was on the plane to us, sadly on his own, as his partner's father was very ill and she did not feel she could come away. But he made the most of his two days.
On the Sunday we had our Christmas dinner together. While Mike was having a drive along the sea front, I prepared the food and got the table ready.
Then early afternoon we sat down to pull crackers, raise a glass or two, and enjoy a good feast.
The next day he had some shopping to do, so while he was out doing that, Chris and I went for a walk along the sea-front at Garrucha, and on to the marina. It was a beautiful day. The beach was empty except for the sea gulls, but there were plenty of others enjoying a stroll in the sunshine.
While we were sitting watching the boats bobbing around in the marina we took a selfie, and you can tell from how dark our glasses had turned, just how bright the sun was.

Then, a couple of days later, it was Christmas Day, but as we had had our special time three days earlier, we had a quiet day at home together. It was another bright sunny day and we spent much of our time sitting outside on the porch. I did not want to cook turkey again, so I had bought us two extra nice steaks, and we ate outside, something we haven't managed on Christmas Day for a long time.
Both the dogs had a bone for their Christmas treat and that kept them occupied so we got to eat in peace.


We had ordered a new bed for each of them, but they did not arrive until a couple of days after Christmas. They are very soft and fluffy and they love them. Foxy's is dark grey and Kim's much bigger one is dark red - you can just see a bit at the left hand edge of this photo.
They actually spend a lot of time curled up in them , but Foxy does not look very relaxed in this picture because she hates the camera and didn't want to pose for me. I couldn't get Kim on his as he walked away every time I approached him. But needless to say I am forever catching them in the wrong bed. Kim hasn't got the sense to see that if he lays on Foxy's his rear end is on the cold floor, and Foxy is happy with either of them!

The rain we had a couple of weeks ago, followed by some very warm days has made all the weeds grow at a rapid pace. Next door's orange grove looks like a jungle. And there are now lots of buds forming so soon it will be covered in yellow flowers and then lots more seeds will be scattered.
But all the greenery hasn't spoiled the orange crop. The trees are full of fruit which really needs to be picked, but the house owner doesn't always come to get them. Eventually the lady who comes each week to water her plants, will pick some of them. I know, if I asked, she would happily give some to me too, but I have already picked the ones from our other neighbour's trees which hang into our garden, and have as many as we can use, and our own little tree has eight really big fruit on it which will not be ready until late February, when the others are passed their best, so we will enjoy those then.

We had a quiet new Year's Eve at home. The whole village is quite quiet as it is a night to spend with families here, though there are a few fireworks and people on the street at midnight. As we usually do, we turned onto Spanish TV at our midnight (that's 11.00 for our friends in UK), and then back on to UK TV at 1.00am for midnight in London. We like to watch the fireworks over the Thames, though this year they were partly hidden by smoke. There can't have been any wind to keep it moving. But I do wonder how much good might have been done with all the money that burned in those few minutes. Still, it does have a 'feel good' factor, and at this rather uncertain time, that is what folks need. We managed to talk to all our boys at some time during the day, so we happily took ourselves off to bed, still full of questions as to what 2020 may have in store for us. It is probably a good thing that we can't see into the future, so we take each day as it comes, and keep looking for those silver linings as we go.

New Year's Day was forecast to be cloudy and much colder, but it turned out to be rather better than that, so mid-morning we drove down to the Playa again, this time to the Mojacar end, and had a lovely walk along the promenade. There were lots of people about, walking off a night of partying, or just wanting to enjoy the sea air. Like us, they mostly stayed up on the prom, so the beach was very tranquil in the sunshine.

There is something about that wide stretch of blue sea, and gentle waves breaking on the rocks, that is very good for the soul!
However, when we reached a man-made bay, constructed to make a safer area as the currents can be quite dangerous at times, we came across a small group of folk who were brave enough to go for a New Year's Day swim. There is a much bigger organised group for this who take to the sea much further along the coast, but this was just a group of hardy friends who were having a great time, and were enjoying the attention they got from a large crowd of on-lookers.
As we walked further along I noticed some colour among the trees that lined the promenade, and on closer inspection I found they were little wild galardias, all opening up to enjoy the sun. I have a few of these in a pot in my garden. I didn't plant them so they must have been seeded by the birds, but I don't expect to see them in flower until the summer.
We hadn't planned on staying out for lunch, but it was so lovely that when we came to nice bar that we have visited before, we sat at a table on their front courtyard and enjoyed a very nice meal, before driving home to check on my line of washing, which I am pleased to say, was all dry.

Now we are preparing for our son Jim's visit. He and Jo have only been out a couple of times before, and never in the Winter, so we are looking forward to spending time with them.
I was pleased to see that the poinsettias in our front porch have weathered the highs and lows over Christmas, and still look good. I love their bright splash of colour. All our other decorations are still up too of course, as Christmas isn't over here until after twelfth night, 6th January.
I haven't been down in my craft room much over the holiday but I did want to get my new large calendar for the wall made. It shows the whole year with just the dates, no spaces for writing on. I have it on the wall just above my computer and it is very useful when the boys ring me up to discuss holidays, or things they will be doing, and I also print one off for Chris to have in his 'office' den. I like it to be something to make me smile when I glance up at it, so I wanted to include photos of all the family and the animals. The boys were easy to get sorted, but the animals!! None of them like the camera, so I decided to try to get new photos of them, and it took me forever to get each of them looking at the camera. But in the end I managed to get something I could edit to fit into the little spaces I had allotted them, and eventually I got my calendar made. I use Photoshop for something like this, and have put one of my lovely sunset photos behind us to make the background interesting. Now they are printed in a large A5 format, and are both in place on our walls. 
Now I must think about making a page per month calendar for writing our events on, as I did not get a new one this year. I like having a personalised one but it always takes me ages to decide which photos to use for each month.
And finally here is a not very dramatic, but very pretty sky to lead us gently into the new year.
Tomorrow, when I get back from the airport, I shall link up with Annie's Friday Smiles and Rocking Your World. Why not start a new project this year, and add your happy moments in a post too.

P.S. Visitors arrived safely, first round of tea drunk, and the world put to rights. Hopefully I¡ll be back next week.


4 comments:

Virginia said...

Ah what a fabulous post, so much to catch up on, you look like you had a lovely Christmas and New Year and got to enjoy some blue sky days, time with family, time alone - it sounds pretty awesome. I'm sure you will be very busy with your family that has come over for the Three Kings Festival, when is it traditional to take down the decorations in your part of the world. We are on with it over the next two days as they took is about a week to put up - wish us luck.

Annie said...

What a lovely post filled with smiles Kate. I always enjoy reading your posts about your life there over in Spain. I hope 2020 is kind to you over there and doesn't come with too many unpleasant surprises.
Hugs,
Annie x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Kate. Great pics. I'm on my phone so fingers crossed this works. pleased to see you've had a good time. Hugs, Angela xXx

kiwimeskreations said...

What a pretty sunset Kate - we are having some spectacular ones as the ash/smoke haze from the Australian fires flows over us... a very sad reason to have more spectacular than usual sunsets :(.
Love your large calendar - that is very cleverly made!
Blessings
Maxine