Friday, March 6, 2020

Rocking Your World 2020: Week 10

The weeks seem to be rolling by at an alarming speed, so here we are at Friday again, and time to post our happy moments.

After I wrote my post last week, Chris and I went over to the marquee on the village car park because it was time for the celebration of Día de Andalucía. When we arrived everything was set up ready to go. The roof of the tent was swathed in bunting of the Andalucian flag, and the trestle tables were laden with cold meats, bread and cheese, all protected by paper tablecloths until after the show.

You can just spot some crates at intervals under the tables. These contain broad beans which are eaten raw, a great favourite in this locality, and much nicer than I had expected them to be.
Soon the choir had organised themselves and they treated us to some exuberant singing along with castanets, clapping and guitars.
The first dance group to perform were the fusion dancers, and you could see these young girls really loved their sequined costumes.
After these, the two local flamenco dance groups did their acts, but Friday is a very busy day for me, so we did not stay to see them all.

We know Spring is really here now because our whole house is filled with the scent of jasmine. Our front wall is again smothered in bloom, with not room to put a pin between the flowers, and their heady scent can be noticed half way down the street.
We often sit by open window and hear passers by commenting on it. And the flowers are so pretty too. They start as tight dark pink buds, but the flowers fade almost to white. It is an annual treat.
Another flower that is everywhere right now is the oxalis. It covers fields and road-sides, and carries masses of flowers. It is quite a harsh 'acid' yellow, which is not my favourite shade, but it flowers on delicate stems and bobs around in the breeze, and certainly brings some colour on a grey day. I must admit I prefer the pale pink oxalis we used to grow on our rockery in UK.

In my current bid to walk a bit more, on Sunday I decided to walk across the road to the urbanisation called Huerta Nueva (New Orchard?), where there is an ornamental lake. It is not very big but it is quite a novelty around here, and the Spanish people like to walk there to see the ducks and geese introduced by the local residents. They seem to thrive there, and I was pleased to see quite a few resting on the shore line. I think they may have inter-bred a bit as their colours are patchy.
They are very used to spectators and don't hide, but neither do they rush up for food. They are fed properly by the residents so visitors are discouraged from throwing bread etc, which they don't need. They all seem to get on together too.
I spotted this one, resting in a tiny patch of shade, and took its photo because it had such gorgeous colours in its feathers.
The lake itself is fenced all round, but people have tried to keep the area outside it as tidy as possible, and have planted some areas with cacti. These aloe-vera plants were full of fat buds, I must go over again soon and see them when they are in flower.
This one really made me smile. It looks like a cartoon duck. I guess the 'beak' is also a flower for a short while anyway. Cacti are such interesting plants and they come in a wide range of shapes. Their flowers are usually quite showy, but often only last for a day.  On my walk back home I passed a small area of campo or common land, and sitting under a tree was this old goat herd, with his loyal dog. He lives nearby and is always happy to pass the time of day with you.
In front of him, his herd of mixed goats were happily cropping the weeds and scrub, and it was such a peaceful scene. Looking at this, you could imagine you were in the English countryside, on a summer day.

Another thing that really made me happy this week was when I spotted a bird in a tree next door. When we first came here I read about some of the birds and flowers that are found here, and the two birds that really took my fancy were the bee-eaters and the hoopoe, and I was determined to see them both. Well a few years ago I found a nesting place for the bee-eaters and managed to get several photos of them, but in the eleven years we have been here, I have never seen a hoopoe. I knew my friends further inland have them in their garden in the early morning, but I think our village is a little busier than they like. However, when I was giving the dogs their breakfast this week, I saw a bird fly onto a tree in our neighbours garden, and when I looked closer I saw it was hoopoe. I rushed indoors to grab my phone, and fortunately he was still sitting there when I got back. It was a fair distance away so my photograph is not good, but there is no disputing that shape.
He is such a handsome bird. For clarification here is a google image of what he really looks like. When he gets excited he can raise that crest on his head like an Indian chief's headress. Isn't he lovely? I am told they do come to places in Southern England too, but I have never seen one there either. They are migratory birds and will move on once it gets too hot here.

Although the days are getting warmer now, in fact it is very pleasant in the day time, it is still cool enough in the evenings for me to work on my crochet blanket. I really want to get it done before the hot weather gets here, so I don't have to put it away unfinished. But I have a little helper every evening which slows my progress down!
Well, would you ask him to move so you could turn your work around? He is actually like having a second blanket on and sometimes makes me too hot so I have to move him, but most evenings he sleeps there until I go to bed, and sometimes just opens one eye as if to say 'I dare you to move!'

I am getting to grips with my new cutting machine and have tried to use it with different materials to see how it copes. This week a lady at church asked me to make a decal to put on the side of a candle for a baby's baptism. I made small decorative crosses for the altar candles last year, so she knew about my machine. So this week I worked on a design which she has approved of, and tomorrow I shall be cutting it from gold vinyl. I'll take it to church on Sunday and apply it for her, because it can be a bit fiddly if you are not used to working with vinyl. I am sure my machine will cut it well.

I have also been busy in the kitchen again. The piccalilli I made a couple of weeks ago, has all sold, so I made some more today. And yesterday I made some hot chili and ginger jam. I haven't made that for ages, and sometimes folk do ask if I am going to make more. We don't actually use the piccalilli much ourselves, but we do like the chilli jam. It is very hot and spicey but it does wonderful things to a cheese sandwich, and heats up a too mild curry. So the kitchen smell was pungent today and even managed to mask the jasmine, but I have a good extractor fan, so it will soon clear.

And that just leaves me with a couple of sky pictures. I saw this cloud from my craft-room window, like a little tornado spiraling down to the hills.
We haven't had many really nice skies lately so I thought I'd take a picture of it, even though it didn't have much colour in it.
Then ten minutes later the colour came in rush and suddenly the sky was ablaze. I just love the way it changes so quickly, and then it's gone, and you feel lucky to have been there at just the right moment to enjoy it.

I am afraid I have rambled on a bit again this week so I had better stop and go over to Annie's Friday Smiles and Rocking Your World at Celtic House, and link up before we go off for our usual fish and chip lunch.

7 comments:

Karen said...

Your pictures are beautiful! How wonderful to have so much Jasmine in your yard! The internet is so wonderful to let us see different parts of the world ~ Enjoy your weekend!

Annie said...

I wouldn't call it rambling. I have enjoyed my visit and read right to the end :-) I enjoyed seeing the Hoopoe and always love to catch a pic of your extra leg warmer :-)
Hope you enjoyed your fish and chips.
Hugs,
Annie x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I swear I thought I left a comment last night, but apparently I fell asleep at my computer and left your page open on my desktop.

You certainly attend a lot of festivals. The music and choirs sound wonderful.

Oh, jasmine. I miss mine I had before I moved. Lucky you. I agree it smells so sweet and wonderful.

I've never heard of a hoopoe before. It's a lovely bird and you managed to capture it well, too.

I have one of those helpers, too. Sounds like yours is as spoiled as mine.

Beautiful sunsets, Kate. Sorry I was so late visiting. Hope you have a super rest of the weekend, dear.

kiwimeskreations said...

I so enjoy your posts Kate and hearing all the things you have been doing in the village and at your home - that chili jam sounds amazing!I have never seen a Hoopoe before - thanks for sharing about it.
I love your blanket 'helper' - the things we do so as not to disturb our felines!
Blessings
Maxine

Celtic house said...

Another fab post, I love all the trestle tables in the village all set out and the bunting, it looks like it would be a fantastic gathering. It's also nice to hear that people keep areas clean and tidy, we have regular litter picks by locals in the area and they are always asking for volunteers, litter is so unsightly. ;

You did amazingly well to spot that bird and how amazing does it look, I had realised the length of the beak from your photo but he is definitely quite a character.

The jasmin sounds amazing it is one of my hubby's favourite scents so he would go mad about it - but I had to giggle at the idea of the chilli jam drowning it out smell wise.

I hope you manage to get loads more done on your blanket before it gets too warm,I love the photo of your helper!

The sky photos are always a favourite - I hope you have a great weekend and week ahead.

Hugs

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Kate, sorry I'm late but we've been away since Friday afternoon and I've not had any internet connection so I'm on catch-up today. Looks like you've been having lots of fun. I think your kitty will have to find somewhere else to nap when the warm weather comes or you are going to cook. Have a great week, Angela xxx

Lisca said...

I'm sorry I'm so late in commenting. I have been ill all week. It's a flu/bronchitis which I don't seem to be able to shift.
What a lot of great things to look at there. I am impressed with your hoopoe.
Andalucia Day has passed me by as I have been under the weather for a few weeks now. I'm sure they will have organised stuff in our village but I was at home, keeping a low profile.
Your Jasmin is magnificent! I am envious! Mine is not doing very well. It is probably too cold here. (although we have had a very mild winter with no frost at all)
We have lots of aloe vera plants at home, and two of them (the two oldest) have buds in them. Ours produce a tall unimpressive yellow flower.
Chili jam sounds really nice. I love everything chili. To make matters worse, we can't buy fresh chilis here. I have to rely on the dry flakes. If your jam didn't have the ginger in it I would drive over right now and buy some!
Your sunsets are gorgeous! We get them too and I love watching from my window.
Have a good week, give those fur babies a cuddle from me,
Hugs,
Lisca