Friday, March 27, 2020

Rocking Your World 2020: Week 13

Note item number 8. That is the purpose of these weekly posts. We are looking for the good things that have happened this week. I am sure for some of you that is not easy right now, but even in these sad days there is always something, and that is what we need to focus on.
My big smile this week was when we heard our postman shouting from the gate to come out and collect a parcel. He left two grey squishy bags on my gatepost, and they were my order from Wool Warehouse in UK. I had got my order in just in time before they decided they could not accept any more orders from outside UK. I knew it had been dispatched but I wasn't sure how long it would take to arrive. In the end it was nine days, just two more than usual. One bag contained enough dark blue wool to finish my current project, and the other was lots of smaller balls of lovely coloured cotton yarn for my next project, so I am well set up to be locked down for a while yet.
I am very grateful for this as it is still not the weather we would like, so sitting outside is not an option right now, and evenings in front of the TV pass slowly for me unless I have something to occupy my hands. We do often get the odd day of rain in March but it is really unusual for it to go on for so long. This is our second week of grey skies, on and off rain, and much colder temperatures, and it is not set to change much in the coming week. We are back to where we were in the winter, with the fire on, lap blankets wrapped around our legs, and all the animals choosing to curl up inside with us. Here is everyone trying to keep snug. I am there next to Chris of course (sorry the stem of my crocheting lamp was in the way), but for once Tango joined Paco and Luna on the second settee instead of my lap.

It hasn't been all bad, and some days the sun has managed to break through for an hour or two, so yesterday I was pleased to get a load of washing dry outside, with only one T-shirt getting blown away. I managed to rescue it without it getting grubby again.

I also took the opportunity to walk around the front garden. The day before we had had heavy rain continuously all day and I wanted to check that everything had survived.
Some plants really enjoyed the water and I was amazed to see the 'potato tree', that has struggled to thrive in a pot by our front door, had suddenly become covered in its lovely purple flowers. I have never seen it looking so good. Both my hydrangeas are looking really good. They are water loving plants so they were enjoying a good soak. I love the yellow gerbera. It is a little common daisy that self seeded in one of my pots, and every year it shines out for me. The pink Kalanchoe is one that I had discarded because I thought it had died, but it has suddenly come to life again with abundant flowers. The top layer has some rain damage but the rest is fine. And finally, I am intrigues by two little seedlings that have appeared. I have no idea what they are, but I shall enjoy watching them grow.

I am trying to keep some variety in my days, so in the afternoons I come to my craft room. Sometimes I just spend the time trawling through the internet, and there are some very interesting things when you have time to search. Other days I make cards, mainly Christmas ones, as I don't think I'll be posting many birthday ones for a while. One day this week I used my cutting machine to make a piece of wall art. It is a mandala made from seven layers of coloured card. It was a bit frustrating until I found the best settings for my machine to cut the various thicknesses of card cleanly, but I am pleased with how it turned out. I made it to fit into an 8" shadow box frame that I knew I had hidden away in one of my cupboards. One day I'd like to make a bigger version. I can cut up to 12" square with my machine. But that will have to wait until I can send away for a larger frame.

It has been lovely to have lots of video calls with my boys this week. They have been taking it in turns to check up on us. They have also set up a family group on WhatsApp as not all of them use Facebook or Messenger, so on there we can all chat together. It is good that we are all looking out for each other.

One day, after a very damp morning, the clouds started to break up. the higher, dark clouds cleared, leaving thinner white ones really low so the Cabrera mountains showed above them. But in the opposite direction, the setting sun was fighting to shine through more dark clouds, and sure enough, the next day dawned wet again. But they still made for a lovely, dramatic sky.
Now I will link up with Annie's Friday Smiles. Virginia hasn't posted yet this week, so I hope she is well. If she posts later I will link up with her as well.
Now I'll leave you with a little picture that is not connected with the virus, and it made me smile. I hope you are managing to keep smiling too.

7 comments:

Annie said...

I really love your new blog header...what a gorgeous colour Kate. I'm sure the internet will help us all to get through this crazy time...not only keeping us in touch with our family and friends but it aslo give us plenty to look at and read and it's easy to lose an hour searching through Pinterest :-) I'm sorry to hear your weather isn't good right now...ours really has been amazing lately with lots of blue skies and warm sun but I believe it will be getting a lot cooler soon so we have been making the best of it while we could.
Your funny at the end had me chuckling...the last time we travelled home from our daughters several weeks ago we spotted a dozen or more frogs crossing the road so drove as carefully as we could to avoid squishing any.
Stay safe my friend and keep smiling.
Hugs,
Annie x

J said...

Hi Kate, it’s nice to meet you, I also live in Mazarrón, Murcia so I know what you mean about the weather, most unlike Spain , I love all your photos, we have some beautiful sunsets and your flowers are lovely, I’ve never heard of a potato plant.
Our sons have been ringing regularly to check on us, our 11 year old GS has been given an old iPhone to keep in touch with his friends from school so he’s been ringing us from San Francisco where they live.
I love the groggy joke
Keep Safe, Jan x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a lovely springtime blog header you created, Kate. I love your new mandala. It sounds like I need one of those cutting machines, too. This is awesome. I like those colors, too.

Seems the enforced lock down hasn't bothered the animals, and your husband looks quite happy/content where he is.

So glad you and your sons are staying in touch. It's always good when family can check on each other.

I remember a few years ago, the media said the internet would isolate us. Now it's our salvation.

Darling funny today, too. Keep smiling, keep taking photos of your garden and sunsets, keep safe, and keep up that positive attitude. Have a super Friday and rest of the weekend, too.

Virginia said...

I'm late - blame Virgin Media and a lack of internet since Tuesday (I kid you not, our broadband hub decided to start flashing like crazy and then slowly got worse over several days before dying a death), we were supposed to be sorted on Wednesday but they told us the appointment with the engineer had been cancelled - cross doesn't come close, but today a lovely chap came out and sorted it for us so we are back on and I am officially very late!

Loving your post, your mandala is absolutely stunning, your flowers are looking fabulous too! Family whatsapp groups are essential, we have one and facetime with my Mum and sister is definitely keeping me sane!

much love to you, stay safe hun

Virginia

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Kate. It's been very sunny here in the UK which although it sounds good it has caused many people to go outside and there were some very worrying photographs over Mother's Day as families went into the parks ignoring the advice to distance themselves. We are still walking the dogs in the park near us but do this early and there are few people around and the ones that we meet keep a good distance. The homeless are finding this particularly difficult but on the bright side supermarkets are only letting a few people in at a time and everyone waits patiently on their cross until it's their turn. The garden is getting a good makeover as my hubby is using his time to tidy it up. Your plants are looking like spring has arrived too. The frog sign shows that someone has a good sense of humour. Take care and have a lovely weekend, Angela xXx

kiwimeskreations said...

Wonderful skies Kate - and the weather is certainly odd sometimes - we have gone pretty well straight from summer into late autumn!
It's funny how the different plants respond to rain - some love it, and others seem to not like too much at all...
Loving the frog/toad sign - that's fabulous, and I shared the 8 points image!
I saw some info online re the situation in Spain and was appalled, so my sentiment to stay safe is really sincere
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

Lisca said...

Just to let you know Virginia is back. They are OK but had internet trouble.
Yes, I agree with everything it says in your first window. Everything has a silver lining and I have enjoyed looking at yours. Especially all your plants. Amazing how some of them just thrive with a bit of rain. I'm getting fed up too with this awful grey weather. I'm really wanting a clear day so I can do some washing. I still have last week's bedding to do.
How wonderful that the wool arrived! Now you are all set up for the rest of the lockdown.
Your mandala is absolutely gorgeous. Well done you!If you make some more I'm sure they would sell very well on Etsy.
Wishing you a lovely weekend (all the days of the week roll into one now I find)
Stay safe and keep smiling,
Hugs,
Lisca