Friday, April 3, 2020

Rocking Your World 2020; Week 14

Here I am on day 21 of our lock-down in Spain. I can't believe how quickly the days go by.
I am still feeling very comfortable confined to my house, and so grateful that, as of now, I am still virus free. I hope you all are too.

Our weather continues to be very unseasonably unsettled with a mixture of sunshine, rain, wind and clouds. Knowing that the fresh air is one thing I am missing a bit, I am taking the opportunity to be out in the yard whenever the sun shows it face. Quite often this has been in the morning, with the wind getting up and clouds gathering by mid-day. But first thing in the morning is a lovely time to sit at the back of the house and drink my morning cup of tea while I watch the birds flitting around in the green zone. We have had enough rain for it to still be really green, and it is so still and peaceful. 

There are some birds that I see each morning which are quite a dull brown when seen from a distance, and it is easy to mistake them for sparrows. But when they fly away you see flashes of bright yellow on their chests and under their wing. They are in fact Serins. I have been watching them through Chris' binoculars, but they are too far away for me to take a photo with my phone so here is one from Google images.
They are sometimes know here as Spanish canaries, and they really do sing. Their songs ring out from tree to tree, and it is lovely to hear them.
As I looked around me I started to think what else, beside the birds, made me happy and here are a few of the things I found.
Early morning rain, caught on blades of grass...

A praying mantis nest, still clinging to an oleander stem, despite the wind and rain...
 

Masses of new buds forming on the chumba that tumbles down the slope behind our neighbour's garden...
 

A patch of yellow daisies defiantly blooming through the dead grass and thistles...
 

The abundant blossom on all the orange trees (even though it plays havoc with my hay-fever!)...

Pretty cotton-wool clouds, which we don't see here very often...
 

And it is always a joy when the day starts with a bright blue sky!

Our days pass peacefully until the road sweeper does his daily drive round. Nearly every day he sweeps the streets throughout the village. I sometimes give him a wave and get a friendly salute in return. Here I just managed to lean over our front wall and get a photo of the back of his little vehicle that has big brushes etc on the front.
In our village he is preceded by a man on foot in full 'space-man' type protective gear, who sprays all the roads, walls and pavements with disinfectant and bleach. Our Town hall is doing a wonderful job to keep us as safe as possible, and I am very grateful for that. Earlier this week, when I heard a bit of a commotion outside, I saw a man doing a very thorough job of spraying inside and outside of our big rubbish bins.
In the larger towns they are using a method know as fogging. Here it is being carried out in nearby Vera Town.

I had a nice surprise this morning when a small packet was delivered by a courier. Inside were a few cutting dies.
I ordered these several weeks ago, before all this madness took off, and I knew they were dispatched at the end of February, so it was great that they have now been delivered safely. It is always nice to have some new craft stash to play with.

I have spent quite a lot of time in my craft room, and made good progress with the blanket that has been 'on my hook' for a long time now, but I fancied a change of activity this week so I dug out my old puzzle board. I used to use this a lot, but it hasn't had a puzzle on it for many years now. I mostly do jigsaws on my tablet, but I can only go up to 280 pieces on there, or they become too small for my failing eyes to concentrate on, and I fancied trying one a bit more challenging. I was having a video call with my sister in the week, and her husband showed me a new puzzle that he was starting, and that inspired me to try one. My board is big enough to hold a 1000 piece puzzle, and you can fold it up and put it away at any stage, which is really useful. I didn't have many to choose from but I found a new, still sealed one depicting Mary Cecily Baker's Flower Fairies, which I have always loved. and I knew it would be complete, so that's the one I chose.
I always start by sorting the pieces out, and I have a set of nesting trays designed for this, so as Wednesday was a nice morning I sat out on the porch and did my first sort. The board can be opened out enough to use on my dining table, so I have made a tentative start. I don't know whether I will complete it or not. It is not proving to be very 'interlocking' so it breaks apart if I knock it, and I can see me losing patience with it, but we will see how it goes.

And that is about it for this week. I fear the news will get worse before it gets better. The death toll in Spain is horrific, but we are told that the rate of new infections is slowly coming down, so maybe we are finally turning the corner.
I am more than tired of all the posts about it in social media, so I thought I would end with a few pictures that are non-virus related that have amused me this week. Then I will link up with Annie's Friday Smiles and Rocking Your World. Stay safe everyone, and I'll meet up with you all again next week.

An overworked washing machine...

A creative butcher....

Feeding the ducks...

9 comments:

Virginia said...

Oh I'm late posting this week again, it's been a busy day catching up with lots of people online if I'm honest, I've never facetimed my Mum before this last couple of weeks, now it is a daily occurrence and we can both talk for England!

Anyway I hope you are OK, stay safe and I'm glad you are managing in the confines of your house, hopefully the weather will improve for you soon.

Hugs

J said...

Hi Kate, I. Pleased to see you are not fazed by the lockdown, neither are we but we heard earlier that we are to be confined until April 26th, another three weeks, I just wish we could get cola Blanca as we have some grouting in the garden needs doing, good news is that the deaths went down slightly in the last 24 hours which is good news.
You look as if you have plenty of land with fruit trees, I made some pink grapefruit and orange marmalade this morning as the grapefruits are falling off the tree and there’s so many but I can’t send them to friends as I normally do.
At least it is warmer today, fingers crossed it stays that way.
Jan x

Karen said...

It was great to hear what's happening in your part of the world ~ VA is just starting where your on the down curve (thank goodness for you!) I have to give you a puzzle tip...go through each piece and pick out your edge pieces first and build your rectangle to start with. It really helps to gain perspective on the interior. We've been working on puzzles here too! Beautiful pictures ~ I was intrigued by the praying mantis nest and that you knew what it was on sight. No words for the truck spraying bleach that doesn't seem real :( but the picture of the lovely bird that's a Serin he brightened my day! ~ Blessings on your week ahead

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

New stash always makes me smile and I'm sure you'll soon be having fun with those. The weather here has been a bit strange, much warmer than we would have expected. Like you I'm fed-up with all the stuff on TV about the C Virus though I understand that some people need to be constantly reminded as the police have had to stop one or two teenage parties recently. Take care and have a lovely peaceful weekend, Angela x

Lisca said...

Lovely photos. Yes everything is so green with all this rain!
How are you getting on with your puzzle? I am like you, I start with sorting them. And I usually have to do that twice, as I always miss a few. I love the 'Flower Fairies' I remember them from my childhood.I also had the little book Tree Fairies.
I giggled at your funnies. Yes, we have to laugh and stay positive.
Many blessings,
Take care,
Hugs,
Lisca

Di said...

So glad you're doing fine Kate. Stay safe!

Love, Di xx

kiwimeskreations said...

Oh Kate - I was horrified when I heard of how things were/are in Spain. So far we have only had one death, but we went into lock down way earlier than a lot of countries - not every one fully abides by the rules, and so far the case numbers are still rising, but there is hope.... very little community spread, most cases can be inked to overseas travel or contact with travelers.
Loving all the things you have photographed that make you happy - even the orange blossom :)
We are having a very 'long' end of summer into autumn - the weather is very settled and the temperatures still in the mid to low 20's (C)
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

Annie said...

I always love seeing all the different plants out in Spain with you Kate so thanks for sharing them. Although each day seems to pass fairly slowly the weeks seem to be whizzing by so hopefully we will all be seeing light at the end of the tunnel soon. Let’s hope we can all stay safe and healthy til it’s over because hospital is not the best place for any of us at the mo.
Love your funnies,
Hugs,
Annie x

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Hi Kate had to pop over and see how you're going.. yes been praying for you all over there in Spain.
So glad you're ok and using your time wisely. Maybe use a tiny bit of gluestick under each piece of jigsaw. It will hold it in place temporarily until there are more interlocked pieces to hold the shape.. maybe wouldn't wotk but a thought anyway.
Love the Spanish canary.. and dies do look yum!
Thanks for sharing, and may God bless you and all you love, and keep you well in uncertain times. In God we trust.
Hugs, Shaz in Oz.x

{Wonderful Words of Life - Shaz in Oz}
{Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}