Friday, August 21, 2020

Rocking Your World 2020: Week 34



Hi folks. Another week when I have achieved very little except for playing with my new baby and refereeing when he gets over playful with the other animals. They all tolerate him for a short while, but he is still of an age where he is very persistent and doesn't heed warnings, so he gets hissed at and has his ears cuffed when he won't leave them in peace.


He is three months old now, and very agile. He shoots up his play tower and lays at the top playing with the fluffy balls hanging from the top pole. Occasionally he catches sight of himself in the mirror up there, and is quite startled.
When I was buying a few bits before he arrived, I ordered some cat 'treats' that are hard domes made from fish oil that stick to a cupboard or wall for the cats to lick. I thought they might all like them. Unfortunately it said they would not be delivered until October, but they weren't urgent so I left my order in place and had all but forgotten about them. Then yesterday the postman delivered a small parcel and inside were these ten little domes. I stuck one, quite low down on the side of the cupboard in the kitchen and little Tolly was soon licking it enthusiastically. He has worn it down quite a bit already. I haven't seen the other cats trying it but they are often in the kitchen alone so may well be having a lick too. When it is gone I will wait a while before putting the next one up.

We had a lovely visitor in the garden this week. I saw it through the window on several occasions but this was the only time I got out with my camera and she wasn't up for posing for a photo shoot. I am quite sad that we get so few butterflies here, as I know some thrive in hot climates but maybe they need more humidity than we have. This is a Swallowtail butterfly, as seen from above, and below.  I haven't seen it come back again but I know they have a very short life-span.


I have another finished crochet project to show you. I actually finished this last week because I was working on it while I waited for the hoop to be delivered for my mandala. But I decided not to post this on Facebook until I had shown it on here, so that not all my news is 'old news'.
This was made with the yarn I ordered a while back that is 68% cotton and 32% jute. It was surprisingly soft to work with. I had expected it to feel quite harsh. And it has made a really tough, strong bag for shopping/beach/craft. I have used it already and am very pleased with it.
And finally I have two nice sky photos to show. We were sitting on the fly-free porch as usual one evening when we noticed the darkening sky was a bit pink. We are looking almost east from the porch so this was a reflection of the sunset so I hurried round to the other side of the house and just managed to catch these two shots before it was gone.

It's the first time we have had a nice sunset for ages.
Now I am off to link up with Annie's Friday Smiles and Rocking Your World. Annie always finds something to make us smile each week, and even if you haven't felt a seismic wave in these difficult times, I am sure something has gently rocked your world, so do share it with us. 

6 comments:

Karen said...

Tolly is adorable ~ I'm glad she likes her new treat. Your crochet bag is pretty and functional ~ That's a win win. I'm finally seeing a few butterflies too in my yard, I love when they visit ~ Enjoy the weekend

Celtic house said...

Hi Kate

Oh you look like you are having lots of fun with Tolly, I'm loving the tower and giggled at the idea of being startled by his own reflection. said 19 year old is away at GF and they have a new puppy who is causing chaos and mischief but also great fun (he is the son to the other dog they own). They send the occasional video that always makes me smile, however, I doubt either of them will want to come back next week with a puppy to play with if I'm honest - we shall see.

Your bag looks fabulous too, really summery with the colours.

I must admit we've seen less butterflies around this year, but we don't really have anything in the garden they would be attracted to, we had a buddleia plant in Stafford when we; lived there that they loved, but it would be too big for our tiny garden unfortunately.

I hope you have a grand weekend and week ahead.

Hugs

Annie said...

I'm really enjoying watching little Tolly growing. He looks so brave sat on the top of his tower and he certainly seems to be enjoying his cat lick. We have a metal swallow tail butterfly on our shed in the garden...they are beautiful butterflies. Your sky pics always make me smile so thank yoy for sharing it with us.
Hugs,
Annie x

Lisca said...

It's a pleasure to see your kitty playing and growing so fast. I haven't heard of those fish domes, but they look like fun for the cats.
I love your cotton/jute bag. It looks a very handy thing to have. Well done.
You are right, there haven't been so many butterflies this year. our visitor is a beauty.
Wishing you a happy Friday, and a great weekend,
Hugs,
Lisca

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I have to admit. Both my friend Sally (who has TWO cats and two towers) and I have cat towers. Sally's is much bigger than mine, but yours is the biggest I've seen. Lots of places for Tolly to sit and rest. Usually, though, most cats, including Sally's prefer the highest spot. Neither Bleubeard, nor Squiggles pays much attention to the tower, except for the scratching pad. Neither of mine like height. I enjoyed seeing Tolly enjoying that new ball. He was really licking away, that's for sure.

I have swallowtails here because the caterpillars eat all my fennel and dill. They are truly beautiful. Have a super rest of Friday and a great weekend, too, Kate.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Kate. Sorry for being so late today just got otherwise occupied. Your kitty is looking as though he's very happy in his new home. Pretty butterfly and a lovely bag you've made. Have a great weekend, hugs Angela xXx