Friday, July 15, 2022

Friday Smiles 2022: Week 28

Another very hot week here, but someone who is enjoying it is our son Tom. He arrived from a coolish Denmark on Sunday and is having a 'working break' in the sun. Fortunately we have good internet and as he has been mostly working from home thoughout the pandemic, he can carry on as usual, and still take time to relax, dip in the pool, and come out for a drinks with us in the evenings. He is hoping to stay for about three weeks, but next week will be booked off as a proper holiday with no zoom meetings etc.

Some of our flowers are looking a bit sad now in the heat, though we are doing our best to keep them watered when the sun goes down. But one that seems to love the sun is our Bird of Paradise tree. We pruned this right back in the autumn and weren't sure how well it would do this year, but it has come back better than ever, and right now it is covered in flowers. (I decided it should be my blog header for a while). 

The flowers are very pretty, yellow with long red stamens. The bees and other insects love them. It is no relation to the bird of paradise flowers, but is a member of the bean family!

This is also the time when the hibiscus come into their own. The orange one is stunning this year and I have always loved the yellow one. The red, more common variety, are outgrowing their pots and have smaller flowers this year, but they still keep giving.

This week it is our village fiesta. We had the music all through the night for the first time last night, and it will be repeated each night until Sunday. Today is a day mainly for the children, and this morning they had set up a water slide on the plaza which was being enjoyed when I walked over that way. We will go over later tonight when there will be the fair and all the stalls to browse round, as well as the many bars and food stalls to enjoy.

Last night there was a full 'super moon'. I couldn't get a picture of it on my current phone, but my old one can still be used as a camera so I tried with that. This is the same view taken first on an ordinary auto-photo setting, and then again on a full zoom.

I quite like this one which I took on a long exposure and I must have mooved it during the shot, so I got the two images superimposed on each other.


And finally I had to include this gorgeous photo of our new great-grandson Rueben with his two brothers. It is such a lovely photo. I don't think I ever got such a good one of my boys with their newest brother! Reuben is less than a week old here and he is so alert already.


And now I will link up with Annie on wipso-astitchintime.

6 comments:

kiwimeskreations said...

What a fabulous family time you are having Kate - with Tom staying with you, and photos of Rueben and his brothers.
Sounds as though you may be having a bit of a sleepless week with the fiesta going on...
Your flowers look amazing, as usual - love the Bird of Paradise tree!
Blessings
Maxine

Virginia said...

Oh that looks like a good week, I'm loving the fact that they've put in a waterslide for the children, that's brilliant.

Your garden looks like it is coming along a treat at the moment and some of the plants positively thriving in the hot weather.

I hope your son enjoys his stay with you and gets to enjoy his official week off.

The photo of your great grandchildren is an absolutely delight and very much ready for a scrapbook layout.

Have a lovely weekend.

Hugs

Annie said...

How lovely to have a special time with one of your gorgeous boys [men]. Enjoy your time together but keep cool and safe. What a gorgeous photo of your great grandsons. Enjoy your family time.
Hugs,
Annie x

Lisca said...

How wonderful that Tom can come for three weeks (with only one week holiday). Hurray for remote working.
I love your bird of paradise tree. We planted some seeds last year hoping to grow one, as they grow very well here, but none of them 'took'.
The photo of your great-grandchildren is fabulous. What a lovely shot. It just spells love and happiness.
I hope the fiesta doesn't keep you awake as you seem to be quite near the center. There's lots going on here too, but we are mercifully out of earshot.
Have a lovely weekend,
Hugs,
Lisca

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

How wonderful that your son is visiting. Nice he can work from anywhere in the world, too. My friend Sally's son came to visit and worked the entire time he was there, so I can see how dedicated some people are. I'm sure that would not work for procrastinators and lazy employees.

Your latest photo of the great grandchildren is wonderful. Yes, baby Ruben looks quite alert.

Sounds like you are not going to get much sleep this week with the festival going on. At least it is only a week and I'm sure it is something to look forward to each evening. Have a super rest of the weekend and a great new week with your son.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi I'm back. I almost forgot to go to the hairdressers which is why I'm so late then I tried to sort out the puppy insurance and before you know the day has moved on. Bet you're pleased to have Tom staying for a while. The photos of the grandsons is lovely too. Have a great weekend what ever you choose to do. Hugs, Angela xXx