Friday, July 22, 2022

Friday Smiles 2022: Week 29

Another quick one today. It is just too hot to move away from my fan and comfy chair out on the porch.

We had a busy weekend as it was the village fiesta from Friday through Sunday. It was pretty much the same as other years as the Spanish do love their traditions, but this is the first time our son Tom has been here fiesta week so we made sure we took in some of the main events.

As usual the street lights were very pretty.
                   

As were the lights and lanterns that covered the main plaza.
                               

We watched some of the children learning flamenca dancing and they were very good.

We also stayed late one night to see the 'orquestra' which entertained from the main stage from around midnight until 7.00 each morning. Again they had excellent voices and plenty of variety in their programme but we only lasted until around 2.00am before wandering back home.


The plaza all around the stage is covered in small tables with chairs and they are served by one of the three temporary bars set up on each side. In the centre there are rows of chairs for those who just want the music without the bar service. The older folk especially, really love to dance and as soon a song started up in Pasa doble rythym, they all came out onto the cleared space for dancing.

We enjoyed the almost obligatory mojitos from a special stand, and I also had my churros with hot chocolate dip. (See I have my own traditions for fiesta week!).

One afternoon we went over to the road beside the plaza to watch the 'cintas' competion. For this, a wire is stretched across the road and on it there are several ribbons or cintas, wound round a cardboard roller, and each one has a small ring at the end. This is raised or lowered according to the age of the racers. The man in a white shirt was the 'referee' making sure it was all done properly. The man in a black tee-shirt is our Mayor, Fran. He is always involved in everything we do.

The competitors (all male) race up the road with a stick about the size of a biro pen, and try to catch one of the rings, unrolling the ribbon. They then take this to one of the beautifully dressed ladies at the side, who ties the ribbon round him like a sash and gives him a small gift and if he is lucky, a kiss! These races are done by all ages starting with toddlers who ride trikes, toy cars etc. They are often too shy to greet the little tot in a flounced dress, who is waiting to attach his sash and give him his gift.Then young boys on bikes, and later the teens and twenties on motor bikes, quad bikes etc. But the one we went over to watch was the older boys on their horses. For this the street is filled with sand, and the horses race up one at a time, with lots of cheering when they 'catch' a ribbon, and even more cheering if they get a kiss. They can try as often as they like, taking turns until all the ribbons have been caught.

Here are some of the older girls in their fiesta dresses, waiting to greet each lad who catches a ribbon, and to have a photograph taken with them.

Of course the main event of the fiesta is the mass for Virgen de la Carmen, the patron saint of the village. This took place around 8.00 on the evening of her saint's day, Saturday 16th July.  Everyone comes to the plaza dressed in their finery. Even small children have more flounces on their dresses than they know how to move in. Those wanting to take part in the mass sit on the rows of seats acros the plaza, while others stand around the edge to watch. There is an altar set up at the front, and the village choir were seated along side this. They led the whole mass with their singing which is lovely to listen to.

Then the statue of the Virgin was carried down from the church and set on a special pedestal at the front. On either side of her there were silver trestles and many people brought flower tributes and laid them there. Here are some of them queued up with their flowers. It took quite a while for them all to get their turn to fit their flowers into a trestle and have their photo taken. Small children were lifted up to kiss the statue etc. 

This year was the first time it has gone ahead properly since the pandemic and there were more flowers than usual. Both trestles were filled, but usually there is only one. After the mass the flowers are collected again and taken up to the church. 

The statue was then carried up through the village, taking in some of the minor roads on the way, and back at the church she was settled on another plinth while a series of very pretty fireworks were set off. This is the only time I see colourful fireworks here, and I enjoyed them along with all the children and adults who were there. 

Now it is all gone - moved on to another village with a fiesta to enjoy. It is fun but I am glad it only lasts for a few days. It is good to have quiet nights again.

The rest of the week has passed being lazy, dipping in the pool, popping out for essential shopping, reading, and getting to play with my new phone. This time I have one I am very happy with, but  it will be  a while before I understand its full potential. Tom has driven down to the beach a few times, but he is happy to lounge in the garden too and it is good to see him relaxing for a change.

Last night we had a little trip out, but as I would normally have written this before then, I will save that story for next week's post.

Now I will link up with Annie's Friday Smiles before you all think I have gone AWOL this week. I will try to be more organised by next week.

5 comments:

Annie said...

Sorry I'm so late in the day leaving my comments today....I'm having to use the lap top because my Ipad doesn't allow me to leave comments on many blogs.
I always love hearing about the Spanish carnivals....they sure know how to party. I hope you stay safe in the heat and aren't affected by all the fires.
Hugs,
Annie x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I've tried to publish three times before. Here is try # 4.

Yes, I was very worried about you. So glad it was just the heat and not something worse that kept you from your computer.

Nice to see the fiesta. The lights are lovely, and the statue is beautiful. So glad you had a good time, and now I'm sure you are glad the festival has moved on so you will get a proper night's sleep.

Take care and have a great rest of the weekend and new week with your son.

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Kate, I just love the way the Spanish get together for these activities. They certainly know how to have a good time. I can imagine thoug that they might get a bit lively! It's been hot here so I imagine it will have been even hotter where you are. We had to wrap Daisy in Maisie's old cooler coat as she started being sick, once she cooled down it stopped so looks like she was overheating. Please take care and stay cool. Hugs Angela xxx

kiwimeskreations said...

Thank you for sharing your fiesta with us again - what a lovely time you had, and for Tom it would have been quite novel? I love your expression about the ruffles on the wee girls dresses :)
The heatwave you are experiencing sounds cruel!! I trust you get through it with no serious effects to your health
Blessings
Maxine

Virginia said...

Oh I am so late to my normal posts that I catch up with, I've been going through the mill a bit on the mental health front so disengaged from most things recently, but I'm on the mend, so catching up on my reading and what a post, it is so lovely to see the festivals back on finally, what a wonderful time, your churros sounds lovely as do the mojitos although I don't drink these days. The dresses of the young ladies are stunning and I can imagine the enjoyment of seeing the young men racing up and down.

I hope the weather is more bearable for you at the moment.

Hugs