Friday, September 16, 2022

Kate's Diary for week ending 16.09.2022

It has been a sombre week, with reports following the Queens progress dominating TV and news,much of which I have watched, but I have decided to go ahead with posting again this week, though I am not sure everyone will do the same.

I am starting with a wonderful picture I managed to take of a blood red moon last Friday night. I was talking to Chris out on the porch and I just caught a glimpse of it as it rose above the horizon, and shot out the front of the house to take a photo. It didn't stay this colour for long of course, and soon it was higher in the sky and shining its usual bright silver.

Another case of being in the right place at the right time was when I took this photo. It turned out the ulcer on my hand has a strep. infection so I am taking ten days of antibiotics and twice a week I have to go to the medical centre to have the dressing replaced. So on Monday night we had some rain; not a lot but enough to make everywhere feel more fresh the next morning. I was walking up to the medical centre and I saw a group of Spanish ladies all talking and pointing, outside Isabella's house, just a few doors up, across the road from us. One of them often stops to talk to me about the plants in the garden and she beckoned me over to see what they had found, and it was this little fellow. The rain had obviously driven it from its usual covered haunts and it had run up, under the railings on Isabella's window. In case you don't recognise it, it is a chameleon and it is the first one I have seen 'in the wild' since we came out here. I have always hoped to find one so that is another one ticked off my list. By the time I came home it had disappeared so I was lucky to see it at all. (It isn't camouflaged with the wall but it would have been hard to spot on the gravel path it must have crossed to get there.

It has been a cloudy start most days this week and we have had a few light showers, which have combined to bring the temperature down a little though it is still quite humid some days. So after hardly touching it all summer, I have finally got my crochet out again. I am determined to finish my Celtic Tiles blanket before doing anything else. I have a stack of 'tiles' all blocked and packed away to keep them clean.

I need twenty tiles in all and number eighteen it currently on my blocking board. I pin them out to all be the same size and steam them with a hand-held steamer. Then I leave them until they are completely dry and un-pin them so I can do the next one. That should mean they will all go together easily when I am ready to join them, and I have some yarn ready in a slightly darker shade to make some sort of a border.

The blanket is for Chris to throw over himself on Winter evenings, and he chose the pattern and chose and paid for the wool, so I hope he likes the finished blanket. I will be happy to get back to using something a bit more colourful soon!

it is a while since I showed any of my "I can see a face in it" photos and I know some of you think I am a bit do-lally. I was happy to discover that there is an official name for finding faces everywhere. It is called 'Face pareidolia' and obviously I have it.

So here is my first late evening photo where I can clearly see a girl wearing glasses with lots of unruly hair.

And this morning I was happy to wake up to bluer skies though there were still a good few clouds, and in this picture I can see the face of a young fox. Annie told me on facebook that she can see it too so maybe you can?

Now my post is prepared and if Annie posts her Friday Smiles I will link with her, but I shall publish in the morning anyway.

I rarely add funnies to my post, but I saw this today on my nephew's page, and as I like puns, I copied it to share with you.



4 comments:

Annie said...

I love the little chameleon...what a cutie and how lucky are you. Your skies with faces always make me smile....we obviously have similar brains lol.
Hugs,
Annie x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Kate, you made me smile when you said the photo was a matter of being in the right place at the right time. I have missed so many that I would have liked over the years because the camera wasn't handy. Loving the crochet and good luck at getting all of them completed it's going to be great when it's finished. Loving your little visitor and the funny too. Sending hugs, Angela xXx

Iris Flavia said...

Beautiful moon! Sadly we live in the city and... surrounded by houses cannot see it - so thank you for sharing!
Cute little fella your neighbor found.

Great blanket! And hi, girl!
Fox, hmm, I rather see a happy bat!

To keeping secrets, have a great day x

Celtic house said...

It has certainly been a strange week but fitting given the news, we were actually away Monday to Friday for a break so the news was limited but my mum had daily papers so we caught up with things that way. I'm looking forward to your Celtic blanket being completed for obvious reasons. I too can see both faces in your photos i hope your hand is healing well. Hugs xxx