Friday, May 8, 2020

Rocking Your Wold 2020: Week 19

So here we are on day 57 of lock-down. There has been a little easing of the restrictions but nothing very noticeable in the village.  Bars will be opening for very limited numbers next week, but I don't get the feeling that many folk are ready to rush back out and sit in public places yet. We are waiting to see whether there is any resurgence of infections before we venture any further than we need to.
But this week we have had sunshine every day, and that puts a whole new perspective on our days. We have eaten lunch out on the porch several times, and last night we sat out on the porch listening to music and keeping busy, Chris on his laptop and me with my crochet hook, until gone midnight and it stayed plenty warm enough to be comfortable. Chris has cleaned out the pool and pressure washed all the fly netting,and the terraces, so we are ready for Summer to come. I actually prefer these days when it is hot, but not too hot, so we stay comfortable all day. And it is lovely to see blue skies again.
While sitting out and watching the birds at the back of the house, this little butterfly landed quite close to me. It actually settled and opened its wings for me.
I believe it is a Speckled Wood Butterfly. We don't get many butterflies down here, so it was nice to see this one.

I did manage to finish my blanket this week so here it is, washed, and ready to go to its new home. 
When I put it on Facebook my son Mike put his name on it, which was good as that is where I was hoping it would go. It is a bit bright and busy, but I think his boys will like the colours, and will snuggle up under it come next winter. It is thick and heavy so will be very warm too. I will have to wait until things are resolved a bit more before I send it to him, but there is no rush for it right now.
I am currently trying to finish one or two other projects that have been lying around for ages, so I will have to be very strict with myself and try not to get distracted by some of the other lovely patterns that I keep seeing. I have got my eye on one smaller item I would like to make, so we will see!!

Last week I showed some pictures of my lovely roses. They really benefited from the hard pruning Chris gave them earlier, and are looking fabulous now. I took a few more pictures this week as others opened up and yesterday I put together two scrapbook layouts featuring the best ones. I used a template purchased from AnnieCDigitals, which I reversed for the second page. (I think its being a Libra; I like everything to be balanced). One page features the red/pink roses and the other the more orange/yellow ones. The backing paper and extra elements come from a range of digi-scrapbook kits that I have on my computer, and the script is my own typing. I am waiting for delivery of a new flat-bed colour printer so these can be printed as 12"x12" pages to go in my 'miscellaneous' album.


This week there has been a full moon and it was shining so brightly as we sat outside that I just had to get the camera again. These two shots were taken seconds apart, just at dusk, and without changing the camera setting, just tilting it to a slightly different angle, I got two very distinct images.


As Annie is a 'sewer', I thought she might appreciate this little piece that a friend in Ireland posted on our sewing group Facebook page. It made me smile, so hopefully she, and everyone else, will too.

And with that I will link up with Annie's Friday Smiles, and Rocking Your World.


7 comments:

J said...

Hi Kate, lovely Roses, they are beautiful colours.
I think we are all happier now the sun is out as it made the Lockdown quite miserable, mind you I have been busy making cards so I now have enough for about three years.
We wont be going out apart from a walk for a long time, I haven't been stuck in for eight weeks to catch it in a bar.
Your blanket is beautiful and so lovely that the family will appreciate it, our DIL's Mum made all the boys crochet blankets when they were young, I can knit but not crochet, my Grandma showed me when I was a teenager but I can't remember how to do it after all these years.
Have a great weekend
Jan x

kiwimeskreations said...

Loving that verse Kate!!
Your lunar photos are stunning - as is the blanket - that's amazing. We have had a very warm autumn this year, with lots of sunny days that have made lock down more bearable, as I have got out and worked in the gardens as well as going for walks.
That butterfly is gorgeous.
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

Annie said...

Hi Kate, It's so lovely to hear you've been enjoying the sunshine this week...here too most days and yes, it does make such a difference to how we feel. I love your latest blanket as I'm sure Mike and family will. Our roses aren't out yet so it was lovely to enjoy yours while I wait. The little piece that came from your friend in Ireland really made me smile...thanks for sharing it with me.
Hugs,
Annie x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

I hope people just don't go to the bars it just seems silly to be as the virus has still not dropped enough. That blanket is an absolute beauty and the photos too. Sending hugs, Angela xXx

Lisca said...

Your blanket is really very colourful and beautiful. Lovely to wrap around oneself on a chilly evening on the couch.
Yes, The full moon was impressive. No clouds, it lit up the sky.
Your roses are gorgeous. I love roses. I used to have many in my garden in the UK.I too used to prune them back hard. I like that quote. I hadn't heard that one before.
Have a lovely weekend,
Hugs (yes, the virtual ones are allowed),
Lisca

Celtic house said...

Oh Kate the blanket is stunning, I did a double take because I thought you were showing us a digital print of the desisn and not the actual blanket - it looks amazing!

Loving your flower layouts and I love the balance the roses seem to be doing amazing well and I'm so glad that your weather has improved because it makes such a huge difference I think to mental health when you can enjoy your outdoor space as much as your indoor space.

The butterfly is very pretty,we've had quite a few visit our front garden over the last couple of months, red admirals and the white cabbage one most frequently.

The moon pictures are stunning isn't it amazing how detailed the moon is, it always makes me smile!

And I love the little sewing verse!

I hope you have a great weekend and week ahead.

Hugs

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Hi Kate.. did smiles this week not WOYWW, very late. Can post on ipad but not comment so on mobile. Sigh.
Love butterfly very much, we used to have them often but not so often these days.

Your blanket is amazing. I didn't realise it was real either.. our roses are still flowering although late Autumn here. Very cold tonight so think it will slow them now. Lovely pages..
Thanks for smiles..and may God bless and keep you and all whom you love, in these different times.
Prayer hugs, Shaz in Oz. X

{Wonderful Words of Life - Shaz in Oz}
{Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}