Friday, May 22, 2020

Rocking Your World 2020; Week 21

Well here we are at Friday again already, and time to look back over the week and focus on the happy moments. I am a bit late writing as I braved the small supermarket in Turre this morning. Chris drove me there and collected me and my shopping at the store front, and we came straight back home, but even so it took up a lot of time, but I'm starting by going back to Sunday morning.

I hadn't slept very well that night so I got up early and decided to go for a walk before too many other folk were about. The first thing I came to was, as usual at this time of a year, the slip road at the front of the village lined with jacaranda trees in full bloom. I know I show then every year, but I just love them.

The flowers come before the leaves so they can be seen in all their glory. Today as we drove past I noticed the floor under each one is covered in a carpet of pale lilac flowers, and already more leaves can be seen on the trees. I am glad I didn't miss them.
I crossed the main road and walked down into the urbanization known as Huerta Nueva (New Orchard). It is a part of Los Gallardos but quite separate from the village, and it has a much larger English population than up by us. 
Now you can follow me on my walk, and as I had so many photos I have grouped them.
Firstly the snails! As soon as the warmer weather comes, they crawl onto anything they can find, from abandoned metal to chain link fences, and anything that grows above ground level. They seal themselves on, often in several layers, and stay there until the first rains of Autumn.
Of course I love all the wild flowers, and there were quite a few still blooming although it is now getting too hot for many of them. The big purple thistles were gorgeous, and I like the yellow daisies. The timid chickory is such a pretty colour.

I walked as far as the small lake in the centre of the urbanization, where there is a small area semi cultivated a while ago by some of the residents. It is a bit overgrown now but there were still some good flowers to see. The one a bit like red-hot-poker is a type of aloe vera, the vivid pink daisy is know locally as claw because it claws its way over stones and gravel and gives an amazing show of colour, and the pink bindweed had become entangled with a darker pink bougainvillea.
Along the path leading to the lake there was a band of these - a member of the mallow family I think. They remind me of hollyhocks though they are much smaller.
The ducks and geese were happily gliding across the water - I love the reflection of the trees - and scratching in the gravel and scrub around the lake. I was disappointed not to see any young ones but maybe I was too late for them.

As I was walking around the lake my left foot started to hurt. I have no idea what I did to it, but literally between one step and the next, it started, and I had trouble putting any weight on it, but I didn't want to phone Chris to come and collect me, so I determinedly set off for home, taking my mind off the pain by looking at all the nice gardens. On the verge outside one I saw this beautiful white cactus in flower. Cacti have such exotic flowers on them, even without the bright colours that some show.
As I was walking up an alley between two houses I stopped to take this photo, because I was struck by the three shades of purple all growing together. The top one is of course, jacaranda. The darker one on the right is a potato bush, and the very pale one front left is plumbago. They looked so lovely together.
And in another house this miniature rose was smothering a gatepost. It had so many flowers on it and I thought it was just beautiful.
Apologies to the squeamish, but just as I was leaving Huerta Nueva to cross the road back to the village I saw this poor creature. It is a horseshoe whipsnake which is not venemous, and it is fairly common over here, though we don't get many near us. Sadly they have got used to the roads being fairly traffic free. He was probably busy chasing a lizard or similar. I know a lot of folk don't like snakes, but they are amazing creatures and belong here out on the campo just as much as we do, if not more.

And further to the saga of my foot, I still have no idea what I did to it. I could barely stand on it on Sunday but through the week it has gradually eased and now just feels like a dull bruise. Slowly a small bruise appeared at the front of my heel, and crept along the inside of my instep up to the ball of my foot, but that too is fading. I must wear tougher shoes next time I get inspired to go walking!

On safer ground, back in my garden, I have enjoyed eating breakfast out at the back of the house where it is still a bit shaded early one, listening to the birds and using my phone app to try to identify them by their song. This week it picked out a green finch, and a few minutes later, there it was, sitting in a little tree not far from me.
When I showed the brown speckled wood butterfly last week, I said that we rarely see butterflies here, so I was surprised when another one turned up on the wall. This time it was a small tortoiseshell, but although I took loads of photos, I didn't catch it with it wings fully spread.
For months I have been watching another praying mantis nest on the oleander, so I was really disappointed when I missed the babies hatching out. I knew they had, because there was a fine silk line coming from the nest with tiny shed skins on it. But yesterday I spotted one of the babies sitting on a coil of wire netting. it had already grown quite a bit but was still very small as you can see in the second picture near my little finger nail.
They are cannibalistic and will eat one another if they don't find enough food quickly, but I am happy to have them in the garden gobbling up aphids, mosquitoes and other less welcome bugs.

Earlier in the week Chris helped me plant out my silk tee near the front gate. It was one of the few places where he could dig a deep enough hole to take it. My friends gave it to me as a tiny 'twig' in a little pot, when they moved back to UK a few years ago. I moved it into a big pot and it has done quite well, but it had started to drop its leaves and was looking a bit sad, so I wanted to plant it where its roots could go down for water. It was probably not the best time of year to move it, but it is surviving so far and I am hopeful it will pick up again now.
Yesterday Chris did some more work outside, again cutting back the bougainvillea that grows along the fence at the side of the house, outside my kitchen window. It only seems like a few weeks since he cut it back hard to just a bare trunk, but it grows at an alarming rate. It takes the light from the kitchen, and it is a big job cutting it back maybe twice a year, so after the last hard pruning we decided to try and cut it regularly in the hope that it will thicken into a nice hedge and be easier to keep control of. It is looking nice and neat again now, and it still has a lot of its flowers.
Just one bit of crochet to show this week. I wanted a fun piece to do after the blanket and shawl, so I made The Bluebird of Happiness. Heidi Bears has designed several animal patterns that all use the motif known as African Flower. You may remember that years ago I made Happypotamus and Fatty Lumpkin, and then two years ago I added Max the Bulldog.
So when I saw she has released the Bluebird of Happiness pattern I just had to give it a go. It turned out bigger than I had expected, but it is still cute and I like it.
And now I had better get linked up with Annie's Friday Smiles and Rocking Your World. And I will leave you with this picture. I think we can all agree that the weather has been unusual to say the least this year. Summer has finally arrived for us and it is at least 30º outside this afternoon, and only dropped to 24º around midnight last night. But just a few kilometers from us, near Almeria city, they had a major storm yesterday and this is just one of the hail stones that came down. The video was quite something to see, but I can't show that on here. It probably didn't last for long, but hail stones like that can do a lot of damage in a very little time! I'm glad it didn't get as far as us!

7 comments:

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Kate. I think this is one of the best times of the year where you live before the weather just gets too hot, all the flowers are out and looking lovely. It was lovely to join you on your walk and hope your foot is much better maybe you stood on something hard and didn't realise until it started to hurt. Loving your crochet animals but not the hail stone. Several years ago we had a hail storm and all though the stones were not as large as that they broke through the polycarbonate roof that we used to have on the extension so I know how much damage they can do. Hope you have a lovely weekend, Angela xXx

Celtic house said...

Oh the flowers are lovely, with the sunny weather and occasional rain even our locality is flourishing and everything suddenly seems green. We ventured to the bluebell wood last week but alas we had missed them, which I was sad about, hopefully I will see them next year. I hope your foot fully recovers, as someone who frequently suffers with plantar faciatous (probably spelt wrong sorry) I know the benefits of good well fitting supporting footwear when walking.

I love the photo of the bluebird crochet - stunning and I love the little praying mantis - who knew they could be that tiny. I also laughed at the storm photo, I thought it was a picture of a quartz crystal at first.

I hope you have a grand weekend and week ahead.

Hugs

Lisca said...

Thank you for taking me with you on your walk. I really enjoyed all those beautiful flowers. Yes, I love the jacaranda trees too. They are such an unusual colour of purple.
Your silk tree looks OK, I'm sure it will do in the ground.
I'm sorry about your foot. That was certainly a strange occurrence. I hope it is better now.
Your crocheted animals are real fun to see. I assume they will go to charity.
Wow, that is one large hail stone!! We had a storm too but not anything as bad as that. In fact we had no hail at all, although I know other people had.
Have a great weekend,
Stay safe and keep smiling,
Hugs,
Lisca

Jean Straw said...

Hi Kate, that is one enormous hailstone, you wouldn't want to get caught out in a storm like that.
All the flowers are lovely especially the Jacaranda trees.
Jean x

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

I'm incredibly late visiting, and for that I'm truly sorry. I worked for two days from dawn to after dark working in my yard. Not long after I went to sleep on Friday morning we had a horrible storm that flooded my basement, high winds that blew branches, and leaves everywhere, then threw my furniture around like it was nothing. Then came the hail and rain, rain, rain. Friday I cleaned up my herbs and assessed the damage. Saturday I cleaned my side yard and the front. I have blisters on top of blisters. I hope you forgive the lateness of this visit. Thankfully, the hail wasn't as bad at my place as in Almeria. Damage, yes, but not THAT much.

I totally enjoyed your walk. You took some incredible shots. I loved seeing the flowers and those three lavender bushes at the one house. Those roses were incredible, too.

I agree about the snake. Many have been hunted to near extinction in the states. Glad that's not the case in Spain. I can't believe those are snails. They looked amazing, and not in a good way, either.

I adored your little blue bird crochet. It was so well done, too.

I bought a package of praying mantis eggs one time. Many turned out great and they quickly went to work in my garden eating every bug I didn't want.

I hope your weekend was fabulous. Sorry again I'm so late visiting. I was so in awe of and impressed with what you wrote about the abuse, it touched my heart.

kiwimeskreations said...

Oh Kate I do hipe your foot heals totally after that nasty bruise. Thanks for all the photos of the local flowers and fauna - your own bougainvillea obviously loves where it is! We have silk trees here and they grow really well - I hope yours survives the transplanting.
That hailstone is massive, and I can well imagine the damage they can do!
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

Annie said...


I always really enjoy seeing the gorgeous plants flowers and wild animals you have where you live Kate and this week you have really excelled. ....apart from the dead snake....I really don’t like snakes but sad to see it dead. The crochet is fun...love the latest bird. Really hope your ankle heals quickly.
Stay safe and well my friend.
Hugs,
Annie x