Friday, May 1, 2020

Rocking Your World 2020; Week 18


So let's start with something that is sure to make you smile. After all, who doesn't like roses? Our weather has improved  a lot, and the sun has opened up all our roses. They are so varied and beautiful.

Lovely though it is to see the sun, I can't sit out in it for long, and tend to chose the start of the day, when it is cooler and so very quiet. The only noise during lock-down is the birds singing, and with the green zone being truly lush and green right now, there are plenty of birds around. I tried to take some pictures one morning, but they sense any movement and soon fly off, or hide between the foliage. I did manage to get some sparrows.
I follow a wild-life group on Facebook and they have just suggested an app. which identifies the different bird calls. It seems to be pretty accurate too. Even now, in the heat of the mid-day sun, it found sparrows, starlings, serins, and common swifts, all of which I know are there, but I have no skills to recognise their calls. So I am looking forward to trying it earlier in the day, when I can hear more variety.
We have had some wild-life visitors in the garden this week. Sadly this one was dead when I found it. It had lost one of its back legs so probably it had a run in with one of the cats.  To the best of my knowledge it is a slant-faced grasshopper. I haven't seen one quite like it before. I love the eyes.

We also had our first 'darters' on the side of the pool this week. That's a sure sign that summer is on the way. They come every year, sometimes with a blue one too, but they are so small and delicate. Her shadow is clearer than she is!
You all know I love the natural world, so I was  happy when a friend sent this poem, and I thought I would share it. I hope you like it too. (I don't know the author)
Nature’s Promise
“Who will pick our flowers to make a daisy chain?
We’ll hold-on” said the daisies, ”till the children play again.
We are under the same sky so united we will stand,
And the flora and the fauna will hold the human hand.”

 “Who will use our branches to shelter from the rain?
 We’ll stand tall”, said the oak tree, “till the lovers walk again”.

“It’s quiet”, said the robin, ”I do not like it so;
“Then sing louder!” said the blackbird, “and let the people know
 that the flora and the fauna will hold the human hand
 until the darkness and the fear is lifted from our land.
The blossoms will be brighter, and the bird song sweeter still,
 when we all can walk together – and I promise that we will.”

One evening I dug out my little point and shoot camera as I had been trying unsuccessfully to take a photo of the new moon with Venus shining brightly just of to the side, using my phone camera. It took a few attempts, but I did get this one in the end.

Last night I finally made the last join of the blocks for my blanket. It is big and heavy, but I still need to get a simple border made as quickly as I can, before it gets to warm for me to have it on my lap. I am hoping to wash it when it is done as it has had several animals on it along the way, but I am not sure whether my machine will cope. Hopefully next week the finish blanket will be displayed!
In the meantime, I needed a break from using dark navy yarn every evening so I made these crocheted hearts. Each one is about 22 cms wide. The pattern was called "Love Yourself Mandala", and the designer, Louisa Sheward, said that this heart is neither symmetrical nor perfect, just like us, so when we look at it we should remember that we are each unique and beautiful in our own way, and we should be kind to ourselves and take a few moments to 'love ourself'. I started off making one, but I liked it so I made two more which are even now on their way to special people in UK. The original pattern was plain brown, but I made them in rainbow colours which was a great way to use up some of those oddments left from other projects.

Another crafting project I wanted to have a go at this week required just a few materials. Here they are.
I also needed some cutting files which I downloaded from the designer's blog (Jennifer Maker), and my Silhouette cameo cutting machine. I knew it would be fiddly to do but had no idea how many problems it would give me. I had to have many attempts to cut the white parts, and was forced to use a lighter weight of paper than I wanted to. Then it came to the brown sheet and again I had to go down to a lighter weight, but eventually I did get some reasonable results. Then I spent all yesterday afternoon putting it together , so here it is - my apple tree.
As you can see, mine is a little bit on the 'wonky' side, and in fact it is struggling to hold its head up. This is of course, because of the light weight paper used for the tree trunk. I have now received a new blade for my machine (thanks to a speedy delivery by Amazon.es), so I am going to try again with the thicker brown card, and hope it is willing to cut this time. The white blossoms are a very delicate, intricate cut, so having finally got some reasonable ones, I shall try to reuse them, but that project is on hold for now.

We got another parcel this week containing a new drinking fountain for the cats which we ordered many weeks ago, and had almost forgotten about. It works well, but the cats haven't taken to it very well yet. They have another fountain which they love, but it is very old, and the surface is now rough and grows green algae on it very quickly, so we are hoping they will soon get used to this one. They drink a lot of water, and like it to be moving.

I am very pleased to say that Paco's wound is healing well, and there is just a small area left. I was surprised this week when this photo came up on my memories on Facebook, from eleven years ago. We had only just moved into this house and we went to visit a lady who had a litter of tiny kittens abandoned and hung in a plastic bag on her gate. They hadn't even opened their eyes. She dropper fed them until they moved onto a bottle, and once they were eating solid food she managed to find homes for them all. We picked Paco out on our visit (the little tabby with a white tummy, on the blanket), but it was another five weeks before we could bring him home. The lady had a big cat who showed no interest in the babies at all, but her old dog took them under her wing and mothered them, keeping them clean, retrieving them if they escaped from her bed, and let them snuggle up to her to keep warm (it was February). She did a grand job and it explains why Paco was never afraid of our dogs, though none of them let him get that close to them.

And finally I know this is a positive blog when we look at things that have rocked our world, and I have to say that over the years Arwen has rocked mine!  Hence this post.
She was a malnourished, scraggy little rat when we rescused her ten years ago, and had been kept in a cage on a verandah and used solely for breeding. But she turned into a beautiful princess. She was feisty and unpredictable, sometimes sitting on my mouse-mat as I used my computer, and gently tapping me with her paw when she wanted attention, and other times, hissing and growling and striking out with teeth and claws for no apparent reason. She stayed in my craft room though she was not a prisoner, occasionally venturing as far as the kitchen, but she turned tail and scooted back to her safe place whenever any person or animal came near her. Sadly this week we had to say "Good-bye". We think she was around 14 years old. I did venture out of the village on Wednesday to take her to the vet, and she couldn't believe that she was showing no sign of pain or distress, despite the fact that her organs were all failing, and there was nothing more to be done for her. I could have brought her home for a few more weeks but it seemed kinder to let her go, but I really miss her, when I come down to my room and there is no-one to say 'Hello' to. We gave her ten good years of comfort, good food and a safe place to live, so we did our best for her. RIP Princess Arwen. Here is collection of just a few of the photos I have taken of her over the years.
Now it is time to link up with Rocking Your World, and Annie's Friday Smiles. A few of our restrictions will be lifted this week, and from tomorrow we can walk out together but have to stay within a radius of one kilometer of our home, and it is advised that we wear a mask though they are very hot, so I am not sure everyone will stick to that advice. In larger towns there are different time slots for different age groups, but because we have a population of less than 5,000, we can go at any time between 7am and 11pm, so maybe next week I will have some different things to show you.




8 comments:

Jean Straw said...

Your little paper tree is very pretty Kate, it must have been very fiddly to make.
So sad about Arwen I shall miss seeing your pictures of her,and seeing her curled up in the background or wafting her white fluffy tail around in our video chats.
Lovely little poem as well.
Jean xx

Annie said...

Oh Kate...I'm so very sorry to hear about Arwen...I've shed tear for her because I will miss her too. Such a beautiful cat.
You've been so busy with your crafts this week too...you turn your hand to so many and are very talented at them all.
Big hugs,
Annie x

Karen said...

awww I'm sorry to hear about Arwen. She was beautiful, I'm sure you will miss her a lot. I'm glad Paco is doing better and that your having fun creating! Blessings on your weekend.

Jopez said...

Love your rainbow hearts Kate, they are gorgeous. Look forward to seeing your completed blanket too!
Sorry to hear about Arwen, she was well loved and had a wonderful comfortable home with you for all those years, bless her. šŸˆ

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Kate, it's lovely to see all the creatures and flowers where you are. The Grasshoper looks quite big. It's always sad when you loose a pet but you can be proud that you gave her a good life. Thanks for the kind thoughts over at mine too. Take care and have a nice weekend, Angela xXx

kiwimeskreations said...

Oh Kate - thank you for showing Paco's journey with you, and that exquisite tree before your told of Arwen's passing - she really was an amazing and beautiful cat with personality plus! (((((hugs)))))
What a great app to be able to identify bird calls - I had one that was supposed to identify trees and plants from photos - what a laugh, it was so inaccurate it was hilarious at times!
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

Lisca said...

I'm sorry to hear about Arwen. I read about it on Facebook. I remember seeing her (just about) when I visited. She was a real beauty.
Your apple tree is impressive even though it might be wonky (not visible on the photo). Could you cut the stem by hand out of thicker card?
Well, that is a very posh drinking fountain. I hope they get used to it soon.
The poem is lovely. Thank you for sharing that.
That bird song app sounds interesting. Do you have to pay for it?
Isn't it great that the sun has finally come out. I have been longing to sit in the sun, and today it was too hot and I had to sit in the shade.Better this than all that gloomy weather we have been having.
It's great that they are loosening the rules. As we live on the edge of the campo, we have been for walks anyway and I have walked to the shops a few times a week. But I am glad for the children who have been cooped up at home.
Enjoy your weekend (for as far as possible)
Hugs,
Lisca

Celtic house said...

Hello Sweetie, I'm so sorry to hear about Arwen but she had a good life with you, I hope you are OK.

Your roses look beautiful, I hope some of them are scented as they are such a blessing.

I love the idea of an app identifying the birds around you - how fabulous is that, I hope you get to identify some more.

I adore your rainbow hearts and as always am in awe of your crochet abilities!

I also hope you manage to sort the cardstock for your trees, which is absolutely beautiful.

My Mum has a water fountain for her cats, but one of them still prefers to stand in the sink when she's run the water!

I hope you have a good week.

Hugs xxxx