Friday, March 25, 2022

Friday Smiles 2022: Week 12

 Well here we go again. At the end of a rather dull week it is important to look for  things that we are grateful for; those things that have made us smile.

So after the "Clima" or Sahara sand storms of last week, we have had a week of rain, rain and more rain. And just to rub it in, our sons have been sending photos of themselves sitting in the garden in shorts and tee-shirts, enjoying the sun! But the rain did get cleaner and helped to wash the dust off the plants. Unfortunately it wasn't heavy enough to wash all the sand away which just turned to thick clay-like mud.

But we did have some dryer mornings so Chris was able to wash the worst of it off the patios and the porch with the power washer. Fortunately our roof does have an over-hang, unlike many of the houses in the village, and they ended up needing to power wash all their walls as well as the floor. At least we were saved that. (See, there's a positive!)

Sadly the 'clima' returned today over much of the province, but here it was much lighter so the new layer of sand on the table, floors and everything else, will soon wash away by itself I expect. The rain on Tuesday was exceptionally heavy and some areas near here had a month's rain in one day, but since the floods of 2012, most towns have improved their drainage and I haven't heard of any real damage this time. This is where the ramblas come into use. Basically a rambla is a dry river bed, but you are not suposed to build in them or plant crops, and if you do, there is every chance they will be washed away. They really are completly dry for most of the year, and make ideal places for dog-walking, wild-life watching, and taking short cuts between two places. But after a storm the extra water up in the hills come rushing down and within minutes a rambla can become a fast moving river. Here is the rambla at Macael, about 40 mins drive inland from us. Taken last night, it is a fast flowing mix of mud and water, rushing down to the coast near us.

So much rain has made my laundry situation a bit difficult as I have no-where to hang washing to dry indoors. But in desperation for clean undies etc, I did put a load on, and that day the new airer I had ordered, arrived. (Another positive).  It took the two of us most of the morning to put together, but now I can hang my washing in the spare room and wheel it into the sitting room in the evening when the fire is on. Hopefully I won't need it very often, but it is good to know it is there when I do.

I went to upload some new books to my Kindle to read on my trip to UK only to find they had not uploaded. Normally I can do this from my computer without having my Kindle next to me and the next time I open it they are all there in my library. However, when I went to check I found my Kindle was well and truly dead! It had no battery and would not recharge, so I couldn't even open it. We tried several cables, and USB sockets, but all to no avail. As I read quite a lot when I am travelling, Chris straight away sent for a new one for me, and it arrived very quickly. So I am all set up again now - another positive, and a big Thank you to hubby.

When I went outside to inspect the garden for storm damage, I found my Easter lily had produced a flower. It is a bit early but of course they like the rain, so maybe that helped it along. Hopefully it wll have a few more soon.


The cold and wet have meant that I have not been out much so I have managed to get some more crochet done. For a start I have finished my Pansy pizza mandala. It is very pretty. I do like it. Unfortunately it is a little bigger than I was hoping for so now it has been blocked it fits into a circle with diamater of 42 cms. This makes it very difficult to find a hoop to attach it to so I can hang it up. They seem to be either 40cms which is too small or 50 cm which is way to big. If I can find a 45 cm one somewhere, I could make that work. 

However I am going to make another mandala called Salutations. I am taking the yarn for it with me which may be a bit optomistic, but I am sure my daughter-in-law will sit and crochet with me some days. When I finish that one I will measure that for a ring and then do a proper search to try and find ones that will fit them both.

The other thing I made is a little bit of fun for my Grand-daughter/mother-to-be in July. I am not very happy with the result but I think it is good enough to give her. It was made from fairly fine cotton and was a real fiddle to make. My sister laughed at the baby with red hair, but as I told her it is actually more orange than red and Emma already has had one baby with very 'orange' hair, so there is every chance she will have another the same, though her second little boy was fair.

As well as crochet I have spent quite a bit of time at my computer finishing off all the cards I need for family members while I am away. Then I finally managed to finish my double page for February to go in my 2022 albumn. It will soon be time to do the March ones but they will have to wait until I get back home in May. Then I can do the April ones as well!

My last hospital appointment for now, was today, and they were quite efficient. Yesterday they phoned and asked me to arrive an hour before my appointment time but we sat around for quite a while when we got there, but we were actually out and back in the car five minutes before my real appointment time, so that wasn't too bad. It all went very well. We had to get up considerably earlier than usual to get there, but at least we still had most of the day to get things done, when we got home.

It is strange to think I should be in UK by this time next week. My flights are booked and the family have my full itinery. I like to be organised and know where I am suposed to be throughout my stay. It was fun trying to sort out who was available when, but it has all sorted itself out now, and I am really looking forward to it. I am still a little bit concerned about the Covid situation, but I realised that if I waited until the virus had disappeared I might never see everyone again. I only expect to stay with each family in their own homes, and am not intending to go out to anywhere crowded, so I will be very careful wherever I go.

Whether or not I manage to post while I am away I an not sure. I am so used to doing everything on my PC and find the phone or tablet quite difficult, but I will just have to wait and see. But for now I will link up with Annie, and see what has given your clouds a silver lining this week.

P.S: Friday morning, and we have woken up to another heavy fall of red sand and steady rain. I wonder whether I will ever get the house properly clean before I go away.

Plus Ryanair's website has been "under refurbishment" for 24 hours so I haven't been able to print my boarding passes yet. Apparently it is causing havoc at airports. Ryanair you have six days to get yourselves sorted!

6 comments:

Annie said...

Those Sandy storms really are a nuisance for you Kate. I’m sure it gets into places that aren’t easily washed down. Your pansy crochet is stunning...I love it. I hope your trip to the UK goes well for you and you manage to enjoy lots of wonderful family times.
Hugs,
Annie x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Kate, that looks like a lot of rain but sure you probably need it. Looks like you've found plenty to do despite the rain and hope you have a nice time away if Ryanair manage to get themselves sorted. Hugs, Angela xXx

Lisca said...

The weather is awful here as well. Today really is the worst so far. We have a rain gauge and today it is nearly full! And again the walls are brown. Ugh! Graham can't get to his plot of land as he has to drive through the rambla which is a fast flowing river at the mo.
I have to relent and do a wash tomorrow. I'll dry it inside. I've run out of stuff too.
Great! A new Kindle. I couldn't do without mine either. But we have British Kindles and a British Amazon account to get the books from. Do you get your books from the Amazon.com site or the Amazon.co.uk site? Did Chris get your new Kindle here in Spain? Graham's Kindle is broken too and he now has to read from his tablet. So if we can get a new one here, that would be perfect!
Your pansie pizza mandala is beautiful. What a shame you can't get a circle in the right size. The crocheted dolly is so sweet. Red hair and all.
And I'm impressed you are digi scrapping again. I haven't scrapbooked in years, digi or otherwise.
Have a lovely trip the the UK and a really perfect stay with all your family. (Hope Ryanair sort themselves out)
Hugs,
Lisca

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

By this time next week, you will be in the UK, if you can get your tickets downloaded. Lucky you. So sweet of your husband to buy you a new Kindle. I've never had an e-reader, so I was surprised they go out so quickly.

You have gotten a LOT of rain, and a lot of sand, too. If I don't use my dryer, I have one of those air dryers I can hang my clothes on in summer if it's raining and I can't hang them on the line.

Your pansy pizza mandala turned out great. It is beautiful. Too bad it's not the right size for a circle hanger. Love the little doll, though. It is adorable.

Enjoy your time away, Kate, and don't worry if you can't leave us comments. We'll be here when you get back.

kiwimeskreations said...

I do hope Ryanair get everything sorted before you travel Kate!! I will miss your posts if you cannot manage them, but maybe with some help from the 'boys' you may be able to 'borrow' a PC and do the odd one??
That wind sounds yuk - what a mess to have to clean up!!
Lovely to see your Easter Lily flowering. It looks to be a miniature Arum Lily??
What a keeper your man is to buy you a new Kindle, and so quickly :)
Blessings and safe travel
Maxine

Celtic house said...

Hello sweetie, I was fighting with technology over the weekend so this is my first opportunity to visit. Your weather does not look like fun at all, but as always you found some positives, the new airer sounds like a very sensible plan and obviously came just at the right time.

Your Easter lily is beautiful too, how wonderful to be able to grow these outside. I bought myself a peace lily on Monday for my office desk as I wanted something uplifting to look at during my mentally tiring days.

I really hope you manage to get your boarding passes sorted, you really don't need the stress of this so close to your trip.

Have a safe journey and really enjoy yourself whilst back in the UK.

Biggest hugs