Friday, December 15, 2023

Friday Smiles 2023 # Week 50

Well here we are at week 50 already. I have had quite a busy week though I only have a few photos to show.

On Sunday my friend Ann popped in on her way home from church and brought me some Christmas cards from my friends there.

We finally managed to finish putting up our decorations. I have only used about half of my usual ones but it still looks nice and cheery. Of course our tree is my favourite bit as it has so many sentimental decorations hung on it. Look closely Annie and you may spot one of your little dolls hanging there. The second one is round the other side. I must have had them for a few years now. Certainly since pre-brexit when we were still able to post such things freely without worrying about import duties etc.

My Willow tree Nativity has pride of place above the fire, and so far Leo hasn't jumped up to investigate it. But looking around many of my decorations are hand made. I have a lovely cross-stitched angel inside a gold star that I sewed and framed while I was still living in England, a red and green crocheted mandala, an intricate cut nativity shadow box, and this year my new macrame wreath and shooting star light box. But I still really love my "white Mary and Joseph". They must be around twenty years old now but every year they come out. I was inspired to making them after watching a demontration of some beautiful crinoline ladies being made at a craft show at Birmingham's N.E.C. They are formed on a wine bottle with a chiken wire and newspaper ball stuffed in the neck for the head. Then they are covered with strips of cotton (I tore up a cotton sheet bought at a charity shop), dipped in polyfiller and left to dry. They are very hard and white, not needing to be painted etc, and they have certainly withstood the test of time.

On Monday we waited in for a parcel that didn't arrive, but on Tuesday it came early, and then we wandered into town and sat outside a little street cafe for a coffee and it was nice to be out of the house for a while. 

On Wednesday we were up with the larks as I had my hospital check-up. The appointment was for 9.00, but then they messaged me to say I also had an appointment at 8.00 for an x-ray. The hospital is about 40 minutes drive away so reluctantly we had to set out at 7.15. Normally neither of us drive in the dark now but we had no choice, and it was just fully light by the time we arrived. The consultant was lovely. He explained that it was a bad break because as well as going round the arm it went up into the ball that goes into the shoulder socket. He said that although it would be painful, I must start moving it a little each day, or I would never move it! He gave me some simple exercises to start with, and said I could ask to see him again if it still very painful after another three weeks. He took my sling away and said it was not good to keep using it, but I persuaded him to give me a new one to wear at night, and I did wear it when we went to do the big supermarket shop this morning, mainly so that I was less likely to get knocked. So it is a long slow journey, but I am beginning to do a few small tasks around the house, but no lifting at all - doctor's orders.

I have just put another set of books on my Kindle as I am reading a lot while I can't do my usual hobbies.

I have two lovely sky photos to finish with. We have had such a lovely week with early afternoon temperatures reaching almost 30ยบ, so we have eaten our lunch outside most days. But the evenings draw in quickly and I just felt this was such a lovely peaceful dusk.

And another evening the sky raced through pinks and purples before fading away, and I was able to catch this moment on camera.

So now it is time to get this ready to link up with Annie's Friday Smiles, and publish it in the morning.

4 comments:

Annie said...

I'm pleased to hear your recovery has started even if it's a slow progress. Keep it moving gently my friend and I really hope it's not too painful. I love your photos...the top one almost looks biblical.
Hugs,
Annie x

Lisca said...

A little step forward with your arm. Poco a poco as they say.
Lovely decorated tree. Don't the cats jump into it?
Yes, I remember your beautiful shadow box which you did with your cutting machine.
Thank you for your comment. I have now added it myself. I have no idea why you are having these problems. Well, at least you know where to find me.
Hugs,
Lisca

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Hi Kate, your tree looks lovely and the Mary and Joseph are so sweet and obviously well made. That cdertainly was an early morning at the hospital but at least it went well. Nice photos too. Have a lovely weekend. Hugs, Angela xxx

Celtic house said...

I'm so glad things are improving albeit slowly for you with your shoulder, the break sounds awful. I love your Mary and Joseph decorations they look amazing and must have been pre Powertex which gives a similar effect. Love your tree of memories, so lovely to have friends pop by and a coffee out sounds fab. Hope the exercise start to play dividends.

Have a great week

Xxx