Friday, November 13, 2020

Rocking Your World 2020: Week 46

Another week has flown by with little to report. There has been some progress in the bathroom, albeit slow. There was another setback when the shower tray was unpacked and they found it had been damaged in transit, so we are still waiting for a replacement to arrive. But such a pleasant young man has been in each day and he has done an excellent job tiling the walls and floor. Yesterday he grouted the walls but he can't do any more until the shower tray is in place. I was hoping they would start building the other units today but so far no-one has come. They have probably been working on another job all week and want to get that finished first. 

We are pleased with the tiles, and this is the border that runs round at waist height. It is subtle but offers the opportunity to add both blue and pink accessories. I will be ordering new towels, and bath mats once I know what shape and space the floor is after everything is installed.  


The weather has been a bit hit and miss this week, with some rain, but still some pleasantly warm sunshine too. The first lot of rain we had was so dirty. It left a thick layer of red sand on everything. You couldn't even see the colour of our outside table, and I had to call Chris to help me clean the car before I could see out of the window to drive to the shops.
So I have been keeping busy indoors. Yesterday morning was spent in the kitchen. I started by mixing up some dough for a loaf. I made some quite successful rolls last week with a new recipe, and I wanted to try making the same recipe into a loaf so I could toast some. Sufficient to say it grew, but it made a good loaf which we made a start on for our tea.

(I wonder whether any of you sharp-eyed folk noticed the little oval tin in the background. There wasn't a lot of money to spare for nice things when we were children, and Mum always put the needs of Dad and us eight children before her own, so it gave her a lot of pleasure when we young ones would club together to buy her something special at Christmas. The thing she loved getting the most was a bar of Yardley's lavender soap. It came in this little oval tin, and instead of using it, she kept it in her clothes drawer to make everything smell nice. I guess when a new one came she used the old one, but I don't remember that. Anyway I rescued this tin when her things were being cleared (she passed away 25 years ago, and had lived with us for the last eight of them). It now has pins in it. I am not sure what they were doing on my kitchen table but the tin jumped out at me when I saw this photo).

While the bread was rising I made one of my all time favourites - date and walnut tea-loaf. It is a recipe from an old Jimmy Young cookbook. I doubled everything and used my largest loaf tin, so I cut a generous piece of the end to freeze for later. The rest will not last long I am sure. I have already enjoyed a couple of slices.


And finally I made another favourite - Viennese whirls. Chris isn't so keen on the dates, but he loves these. The mixture should be piped into nice neat rosettes but my hands couldn't manage the piping bag, so I just spooned it in and marked it with a fork. So they are a bit untidy and misshapen - I used a mixture of round and square silicone cups to bake them -  and they taste just as good even if I wouldn't get many marks for presentation.

And along side all of these I managed to put together chicken curry for our midday dinner, so all in all it was a good day.

The place we used to go every week for a fish and chip dinner on Fridays has this week started offering this as a takeaway meal. It is a good way to boost their trade as they can only have a very limited number of seated diners during the corona virus, and much of their trade came for the evening meals which are not allowed now we have a 6.00 curfew for bars and restaurants. So we have ordered a takeaway today and Chris will be collecting it very soon. So today my kitchen, and I, are having a rest.

I have been slowing working on my crochet, usually just doing a couple of rows a night as the damper weather is not doing my arthritis any favours. I will aclimatize to it soon, but I always notice it at the change of season. However I have now finished my second pocket scarf. It is very pretty and feels so soft. It will be lovely to wrap up in on chilly evenings.

It is much wider than the first one, so it can go right down to my waist at the back, and longer too, which makes the pockets more accessible. I didn't use a pattern this time, and instead just chose a couple of textured stitches from the internet, to make it more interesting to work on than a plain one.

I have of course, just ordered more yarn for my next big project. This time it is going to be a blanket made from a dozen 18 inch squares, which are a good size for me to work with. In the meantime I am working on a little Christmas project I started a while ago.

Other than that the days have somehow passed. I have enjoyed long video calls with my son, and with my sister. I have missed all of them visiting us this year, so it is good to chat.

I have downloaded some new books to my Kindle, and if I am enjoying one, I can happily read all day, and am always amazed at how much time has passed.

I had to take Tolly to the vet because he had a cold and it caused very sore looking eyes, and lots of sneezing. So he has been on a course of antibiotics which finished today, and he had some eye ointment which he didn't appreciate at all. But I am glad to see he is fully recovered now. We have started letting him go outside now and he is getting more adventurous each day. He has mastered the cat flap in the back door and the dog flap in the porch, but he doesn't go too far, and usually comes when we call him. 
Now I shall link up with Annie's Friday Smiles and Rocking Your World, and go and enjoy my lunch. Then I will come and visit you all and see what has made you smile this week.

6 comments:

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What an amazing day and week you've had, Kate. Your new bath is looking beautiful. Those tiles are gorgeous. It seems no matter how much time you give a remodel, you have to add more, because there are always unforeseen problems.

You made some amazing baked goods. I want those Viennese whirls. I say appearance is everything, but I'll forego that and just eat as many as you'll let me stuff in my mouth (GRIN)!!! If only!

I enjoyed reading the story of the soap. I remember those tins, because my grandmother got them for Christmas each year. Yardley's lavender soap always smelled SO good. It was a fond memory for me, too. I haven't seen one of those tins or the soap in years and years. You were lucky to hang on to yours.

Tolly sounds like he is much better, but I'm sure that was quite a scare for you.

That pocket scarf is beautiful. I like the colors and the close-up shows how soft the yarn must be.

Have a super rest of Friday and a great weekend, too, dear.

Annie said...

Your day in the kitchen was very productive and it all looks yummy. Thanks to a tip from Lisca we have baked a persimmon cake today. Your date and walnut cake sounds like another good idea so we may well be looking that one up next. It's good to see your bathroom progressing, if but a little slower than you hoped....I love the tiles and border.
Keep smiling and being creative, whether in the kitchen or with your knitting/crocheting.
Hugs,
Annie x

Lisca said...

What a shame about the shower tray. It throws the whole work schedule. The tiles are beautiful and it already looks very nice. I like the little border. Very pretty.
We didn't get any of that sahara rain. In fact, we didn't get any rain at all, just a bit of drizzle one day. Not useful for the campo.
Oh what a lovely story about the oval box. I remember Yardley soap. (and the smell). Things used to come in pretty boxes back then. Do you remember stockings came in a pretty box too. As well as cigarettes. I still have a few of those metal boxes the cigarettes came in. I have one in the garage somewhere with curtain hooks in it.
That bread looks amazing. Is it sourdough? I have given up on the sourdough, but I do make a mean Herman cake, which is in effect sourdough. I stir it every day and only feed it twice in 10 days: on day 4 and on day 9, then on day 10 I bake a cake. It happened to be today and I made a apple cranberry cake. Very yummy it is too.
The date and walnut cakes looks very delicious. Graham would love that. I must make one again. I've never made viennese swirls so I don't really know what they're supposed to look like. But yours look very morish.
What a lovely shawl. The pockets need to be at the right length for your arms to make it comfortable to wear, and I'm sure you have done that. The colour is gorgeous.
Amazon Uk are always having books for 99p, so I am forever looking and being tempted. I think I have more than 100 books on my Kindle and I really shouldn't be buying anymore. At the same time i do get through them as I read a lot. We read in bed, sometimes until very late (depending on the book). For me that is a luxury, as i have been studying most of my life and reading is a pleasure I can now afford (time wise).
No photos of Tolly? I'm glad he got over his cold. There is a lot of catflu about, I see many cats with sticky eyes. Well done Tolly for mastering the catflap. Ours never did, and that was a 'pain'.
Hope you enjoyed your fish and chips,
Have a lovely weekend,
Hugs,
Lisca

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Looks like you're going to have plenty of nice things to eat it all looks scrummy. The bathroom is looking good too and hope Tolly is feeling better soon. Your blanket is gorgeous, really love the colours. Have a great weekend, Angela xxx

kiwimeskreations said...

What a wonderful morning's baking Kate - I rarely bake now..
Loving your finished pocket scarf. The colours are beautiful, and the textures ass so much interest.
So glad to hear Tolly is recovered, and learning to cope with the big outdoors.
Stay safe
Blessings
Maxine

Celtic house said...

It is amazing Kate how we manage to fill our days regardless of the lockdown isn't it. I'm glad you are managing OK. The baking looks fabulous and the viennese are one of my favourites, I bet they were lush. Your new scarf is beautiful and I love the colours. I've got Christmas gifts to be getting on with but just don't seem to be managing them if I'm honest, maybe this week might be more productive. I hope you enjoyed your takeaway tea, there are a fair few local businesses that are doing similar with click and collect even some of the smaller ones, it is a hard time to be running a bricks and mortar business. I hope you have a lovely Sunday and week ahead, hugs